NWN v1.66 cd check gone?

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Is it true that v1.66 doesn't do the CD check any more?
My Windows-using friend doesn't want to upgrade until
there's a NoCD version. (Yes, he bought the game legally)
I use Mac NWN, which has always been NoCD (effectively),
so I don't have a way to verify this personally.

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Yea, I noticed that too. It's gone.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

"Frank Nospam" <yahoo_com@francis.uy> wrote in message
> Is it true that v1.66 doesn't do the CD check any more?
> My Windows-using friend doesn't want to upgrade until
> there's a NoCD version. (Yes, he bought the game legally)
> I use Mac NWN, which has always been NoCD (effectively),
> so I don't have a way to verify this personally.

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Great news. usually a sign sales have dwindled down ...... Still a great
game, albeit an old one. NWN2 should be sweet.

Frank Nospam wrote:
> Is it true that v1.66 doesn't do the CD check any more?
> My Windows-using friend doesn't want to upgrade until
> there's a NoCD version. (Yes, he bought the game legally)
> I use Mac NWN, which has always been NoCD (effectively),
> so I don't have a way to verify this personally.

Does this mean we can play the game without the CD in the drive?

Werewolf

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

John Salerno wrote:
> Frank Nospam wrote:
>
>> Is it true that v1.66 doesn't do the CD check any more?
>> My Windows-using friend doesn't want to upgrade until
>> there's a NoCD version. (Yes, he bought the game legally)
>> I use Mac NWN, which has always been NoCD (effectively),
>> so I don't have a way to verify this personally.
>

> Does this mean we can play the game without the CD in the drive?

Yes...
No CD required with 1.66 - for me anyway. That might be contingent on
having an open internet connection though. Not sure since mine is always on.

John Salerno wrote:
> Does this mean we can play the game without the CD in the drive?

That's what I'm trying to find out.

Frank Nospam wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>Does this mean we can play the game without the CD in the drive?
>

> That's what I'm trying to find out.

Well, I tried it and it worked, but my game was running strangely for
some reason. It took a long time to load (it was a Kingmaker game, which
might have something to do with it), then once in the game it was sort
of locked up for a while. Not sure if that was just a random occurrence.

> John Salerno wrote:
> > Does this mean we can play the game without the CD in the drive?
>
> That's what I'm trying to find out.

It seems to. After downloading and installing the 1.66 patch, I loaded up
and started playing HOTU with no disk in the drive. Haven't played for a few
weeks, but I didn't notice any difference to the normal operation. Next
stop, the new premium module<g>

John

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> Frank Nospam wrote:
>> Is it true that v1.66 doesn't do the CD check any more?
>> My Windows-using friend doesn't want to upgrade until
>> there's a NoCD version. (Yes, he bought the game legally)
>> I use Mac NWN, which has always been NoCD (effectively),
>> so I don't have a way to verify this personally.
>
> Does this mean we can play the game without the CD in the drive?

I would appear so.

Reg LeCrisp wrote:
> Great news. usually a sign sales have dwindled down ...... Still a great
> game, albeit an old one. NWN2 should be sweet.

What if you have the Platinum version?
Is the Platinum version already v1.66 ?

mrlg wrote:
> What if you have the Platinum version?
> Is the Platinum version already v1.66 ?

No, Platinum is either 1.60 or 1.61. But you can patch it using the
Update function on the launch menu.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Platinum version came out as 1.63.
It caused a little fus with MP'ing cause the 1.63 was never actually
released (paltinum only) so those of us who had the platinum could not play
on some servers that were using the 1.62 (even though they were fully up to
date).
--

"Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
> mrlg wrote:
>> What if you have the Platinum version?
>> Is the Platinum version already v1.66 ?
>

> No, Platinum is either 1.60 or 1.61. But you can patch it using the
> Update function on the launch menu.
> --
> Barry Scott Will
> Pyric RPG Publications
> http://www.pyric.com/

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

hopefully NWN2 will come with option to 1st person view

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

> Great news. usually a sign sales have dwindled down ...... Still a great
> game, albeit an old one. NWN2 should be sweet.

Usually also a sign for a final patch, with no more to come, unless a real
emergency occurs, at least with most games it is that way.

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:35:02 +0200, "Dirk Dreidoppel"
<dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote:

>Usually also a sign for a final patch, with no more to come, unless a real
>emergency occurs, at least with most games it is that way.

It probably depends on the success of the premium modules. If they
sell well, I would guess that its a lot more likely that NWN will get
some more support. Of course, I'm not really sure what more they
would need to do in a patch...

wolfing wrote:
> hopefully NWN2 will come with option to 1st person view

I wish! ;-)

wolfing wrote:
> hopefully NWN2 will come with option to 1st person view

As long as it's an option, and it doesn't degrade the current view. I
like the 3rd person view in NWN.

Maxon wrote:
> First person view gives me motion sickness and I can't play those sorts of
> games. So I hope so too.

> "John Salerno" wrote:
> > > hopefully NWN2 will come with option to 1st person view
> > >
> > As long as it's an option, and it doesn't degrade the current view. I
> > like the 3rd person view in NWN.

I prefer 3rd person too, unless there's going to be some kind of
"overhead tactical view" window where you can keep track of various
opponents.

Last night, I got my butt kicked by a couple of shadowdancers working
together (Lords of Darkness series, very linear but well done). It
would have been much worse in 1st person view.

I think there are some camera hacks that allow the raising, pointing,
and moving of the POV that make the view come very close to 1st person.
Might want to Google those or look through this group.

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

First person view gives me motion sickness and I can't play those sorts of
games. So I hope so too.

Best wishes
Maxon

Maxon wrote:
> Ha - those are good suggestions and I might just try them. My problem is
> probably exacerbated by the fact that I had a brain tumour which grew close
> to my ears - or more accurately near the balance mechanism in my ears - at
> the back of my head. Even though now the tumour is gone and I am much
> better, I have a lot of trouble with anything that affects my balance
> (escalators are a nightmare). I've been playing a game called Vampire
> Bloodlines, which is a lot of fun, but it keeps defaulting back to first
> person view after certain actions or when you enter new areas (you can
> choose between 3rd and 1st) and if I don't notice it immediately, I end up
> having a sickness fit. Still, they're not as bad as the ones I had before
> my operation but it does spoil my experience of the game. Oh, I don't
> drink - I couldn't when I was ill and have never started again.
>
> Scary reply - bet you didn't expect that!

YIKES! I hope all is well now. That sounds like very scary stuff...

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:35:02 +0200, Dirk Dreidoppel wrote:

> Usually also a sign for a final patch, with no more to come, unless a real
> emergency occurs, at least with most games it is that way.

OT: Hey, you! Haven't you seen you in ages. Hope all is well. :)

M.

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Sorry - it scares everyone except me (and other brain tumour survivors) -
and yes, thank you, I am very much better now.

I wonder though if games companies take account of the fact that many people
with health problems and disabilities play computer games - when you can't
get out of the door and/or bed, a computer can be a major source of contact
with the outside world, conversation and amusement; computer games are a
major recreation for people like me (or they were when I was ill - not
*quite* so much now).

Best wishes
Maxon

"James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Scary reply - bet you didn't expect that!
>
> YIKES! I hope all is well now. That sounds like very scary stuff...

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

> OT: Hey, you! Haven't you seen you in ages. Hope all is well. :)

OT: Sure is :) I'm just not posting much these days. Still lurking in NWN,
Morrowind and D2 groups (and some random other) though.

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Sorry - it scares everyone except me (and other brain tumour survivors) -
>and yes, thank you, I am very much better now.
>
>I wonder though if games companies take account of the fact that many people
>with health problems and disabilities play computer games

Judging by most games no they don't, which isn't that surprising really.

>- when you can't
>get out of the door and/or bed, a computer can be a major source of contact
>with the outside world, conversation and amusement; computer games are a
>major recreation for people like me (or they were when I was ill - not
>*quite* so much now).

I heartily agree.
Playing CoH kept my sanity last year when I was totally unable to leave
the apartment without assistance and barely able to move around the
apartment at all.

I couldn't really walk in real life, but in the game I could fly.

Xocyll

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

That sounds pretty awful. BUT, as you say, the comp was a sanity saver.

Best
Jen