  • CD-Rom
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 25, 2005 11:32:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Is it true that v1.66 doesn't do the CD check any more?
My Windows-using friend doesn't want to upgrade until
there's a NoCD version. (Yes, he bought the game legally)
I use Mac NWN, which has always been NoCD (effectively),
so I don't have a way to verify this personally.

More about : nwn check

June 25, 2005 12:04:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Yea, I noticed that too. It's gone.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

"Frank Nospam" <yahoo_com@francis.uy> wrote in message
> Is it true that v1.66 doesn't do the CD check any more?
> My Windows-using friend doesn't want to upgrade until
> there's a NoCD version. (Yes, he bought the game legally)
> I use Mac NWN, which has always been NoCD (effectively),
> so I don't have a way to verify this personally.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 4:42:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Great news. usually a sign sales have dwindled down ...... Still a great
game, albeit an old one. NWN2 should be sweet.

"Alceryes" <replytopost@thankyou.com> wrote in message
news:o LGdnZt8z8ik1SDfRVn-2Q@comcast.com...
> Yea, I noticed that too. It's gone.
> --
>

> "I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
> - Alceryes
>
> "Frank Nospam" <yahoo_com@francis.uy> wrote in message
>> Is it true that v1.66 doesn't do the CD check any more?
>> My Windows-using friend doesn't want to upgrade until
>> there's a NoCD version. (Yes, he bought the game legally)
>> I use Mac NWN, which has always been NoCD (effectively),
>> so I don't have a way to verify this personally.

June 26, 2005 12:19:57 AM

Frank Nospam wrote:
> Is it true that v1.66 doesn't do the CD check any more?
> My Windows-using friend doesn't want to upgrade until
> there's a NoCD version. (Yes, he bought the game legally)
> I use Mac NWN, which has always been NoCD (effectively),
> so I don't have a way to verify this personally.

Does this mean we can play the game without the CD in the drive?
June 26, 2005 12:53:44 AM

John Salerno wrote:
> Frank Nospam wrote:
>
>> Is it true that v1.66 doesn't do the CD check any more?
>> My Windows-using friend doesn't want to upgrade until
>> there's a NoCD version. (Yes, he bought the game legally)
>> I use Mac NWN, which has always been NoCD (effectively),
>> so I don't have a way to verify this personally.
>

> Does this mean we can play the game without the CD in the drive?

Yes...
No CD required with 1.66 - for me anyway. That might be contingent on
having an open internet connection though. Not sure since mine is always on.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:22:16 AM

John Salerno wrote:
> Does this mean we can play the game without the CD in the drive?

That's what I'm trying to find out.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:20:16 AM

Frank Nospam wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>Does this mean we can play the game without the CD in the drive?
>

> That's what I'm trying to find out.

Well, I tried it and it worked, but my game was running strangely for
some reason. It took a long time to load (it was a Kingmaker game, which
might have something to do with it), then once in the game it was sort
of locked up for a while. Not sure if that was just a random occurrence.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 9:24:48 AM

> John Salerno wrote:
> > Does this mean we can play the game without the CD in the drive?
>
> That's what I'm trying to find out.

It seems to. After downloading and installing the 1.66 patch, I loaded up
and started playing HOTU with no disk in the drive. Haven't played for a few
weeks, but I didn't notice any difference to the normal operation. Next
stop, the new premium module<g>

John
June 26, 2005 9:58:54 AM

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> Frank Nospam wrote:
>> Is it true that v1.66 doesn't do the CD check any more?
>> My Windows-using friend doesn't want to upgrade until
>> there's a NoCD version. (Yes, he bought the game legally)
>> I use Mac NWN, which has always been NoCD (effectively),
>> so I don't have a way to verify this personally.
>
> Does this mean we can play the game without the CD in the drive?

I would appear so.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 12:31:58 AM

Reg LeCrisp wrote:
> Great news. usually a sign sales have dwindled down ...... Still a great
> game, albeit an old one. NWN2 should be sweet.

What if you have the Platinum version?
Is the Platinum version already v1.66 ?
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 12:31:59 AM

mrlg wrote:
> What if you have the Platinum version?
> Is the Platinum version already v1.66 ?

No, Platinum is either 1.60 or 1.61. But you can patch it using the
Update function on the launch menu.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Platinum version came out as 1.63.
It caused a little fus with MP'ing cause the 1.63 was never actually
released (paltinum only) so those of us who had the platinum could not play
on some servers that were using the 1.62 (even though they were fully up to
date).
--

"Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
> mrlg wrote:
>> What if you have the Platinum version?
>> Is the Platinum version already v1.66 ?
>

> No, Platinum is either 1.60 or 1.61. But you can patch it using the
> Update function on the launch menu.
> --
> Barry Scott Will
> Pyric RPG Publications
> http://www.pyric.com/
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:02:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

hopefully NWN2 will come with option to 1st person view
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 4:35:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

> Great news. usually a sign sales have dwindled down ...... Still a great
> game, albeit an old one. NWN2 should be sweet.

Usually also a sign for a final patch, with no more to come, unless a real
emergency occurs, at least with most games it is that way.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:10:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:35:02 +0200, "Dirk Dreidoppel"
<dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote:

>Usually also a sign for a final patch, with no more to come, unless a real
>emergency occurs, at least with most games it is that way.

It probably depends on the success of the premium modules. If they
sell well, I would guess that its a lot more likely that NWN will get
some more support. Of course, I'm not really sure what more they
would need to do in a patch...
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:17:55 PM

wolfing wrote:
> hopefully NWN2 will come with option to 1st person view

I wish! ;-)
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:10:14 AM

wolfing wrote:
> hopefully NWN2 will come with option to 1st person view

As long as it's an option, and it doesn't degrade the current view. I
like the 3rd person view in NWN.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:16:07 PM

Maxon wrote:
> First person view gives me motion sickness and I can't play those sorts of
> games. So I hope so too.

> "John Salerno" wrote:
> > > hopefully NWN2 will come with option to 1st person view
> > >
> > As long as it's an option, and it doesn't degrade the current view. I
> > like the 3rd person view in NWN.

I prefer 3rd person too, unless there's going to be some kind of
"overhead tactical view" window where you can keep track of various
opponents.

Last night, I got my butt kicked by a couple of shadowdancers working
together (Lords of Darkness series, very linear but well done). It
would have been much worse in 1st person view.

I think there are some camera hacks that allow the raising, pointing,
and moving of the POV that make the view come very close to 1st person.
Might want to Google those or look through this group.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 3:14:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

First person view gives me motion sickness and I can't play those sorts of
games. So I hope so too.

Best wishes
Maxon

> wolfing wrote:
> > hopefully NWN2 will come with option to 1st person view
> >

> As long as it's an option, and it doesn't degrade the current view. I
> like the 3rd person view in NWN.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:35:26 PM

Maxon wrote:
> Ha - those are good suggestions and I might just try them. My problem is
> probably exacerbated by the fact that I had a brain tumour which grew close
> to my ears - or more accurately near the balance mechanism in my ears - at
> the back of my head. Even though now the tumour is gone and I am much
> better, I have a lot of trouble with anything that affects my balance
> (escalators are a nightmare). I've been playing a game called Vampire
> Bloodlines, which is a lot of fun, but it keeps defaulting back to first
> person view after certain actions or when you enter new areas (you can
> choose between 3rd and 1st) and if I don't notice it immediately, I end up
> having a sickness fit. Still, they're not as bad as the ones I had before
> my operation but it does spoil my experience of the game. Oh, I don't
> drink - I couldn't when I was ill and have never started again.
>
> Scary reply - bet you didn't expect that!

YIKES! I hope all is well now. That sounds like very scary stuff...
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:20:12 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:35:02 +0200, Dirk Dreidoppel wrote:

> Usually also a sign for a final patch, with no more to come, unless a real
> emergency occurs, at least with most games it is that way.

OT: Hey, you! Haven't you seen you in ages. Hope all is well. :)

M.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:36:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Sorry - it scares everyone except me (and other brain tumour survivors) -
and yes, thank you, I am very much better now.

I wonder though if games companies take account of the fact that many people
with health problems and disabilities play computer games - when you can't
get out of the door and/or bed, a computer can be a major source of contact
with the outside world, conversation and amusement; computer games are a
major recreation for people like me (or they were when I was ill - not
*quite* so much now).

Best wishes
Maxon

"James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Scary reply - bet you didn't expect that!
>
> YIKES! I hope all is well now. That sounds like very scary stuff...
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:18:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

> OT: Hey, you! Haven't you seen you in ages. Hope all is well. :)

OT: Sure is :)  I'm just not posting much these days. Still lurking in NWN,
Morrowind and D2 groups (and some random other) though.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:59:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Sorry - it scares everyone except me (and other brain tumour survivors) -
>and yes, thank you, I am very much better now.
>
>I wonder though if games companies take account of the fact that many people
>with health problems and disabilities play computer games

Judging by most games no they don't, which isn't that surprising really.

>- when you can't
>get out of the door and/or bed, a computer can be a major source of contact
>with the outside world, conversation and amusement; computer games are a
>major recreation for people like me (or they were when I was ill - not
>*quite* so much now).

I heartily agree.
Playing CoH kept my sanity last year when I was totally unable to leave
the apartment without assistance and barely able to move around the
apartment at all.

I couldn't really walk in real life, but in the game I could fly.

Xocyll
June 29, 2005 1:56:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

That sounds pretty awful. BUT, as you say, the comp was a sanity saver.

Best
Jen

"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
news:o 074c194qb0v5dqlhkv3vi9cvrn5tp8gp3@4ax.com...
> >I wonder though if games companies take account of the fact that many
people
> >with health problems and disabilities play computer games
>
> Judging by most games no they don't, which isn't that surprising really.
>
> >- when you can't
> >get out of the door and/or bed, a computer can be a major source of
contact
> >with the outside world, conversation and amusement; computer games are a
> >major recreation for people like me (or they were when I was ill - not
> >*quite* so much now).
>
> I heartily agree.
> Playing CoH kept my sanity last year when I was totally unable to leave
> the apartment without assistance and barely able to move around the
> apartment at all.
>
> I couldn't really walk in real life, but in the game I could fly.
>
> Xocyll
June 29, 2005 4:18:56 PM

Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:

>I couldn't really walk in real life, but in the game I could fly.

That's one beautiful one-liner.

--
Out of memory.
We wish to hold the whole sky.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:18:56 +0200, Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:
>
>>I couldn't really walk in real life, but in the game I could fly.
>
>That's one beautiful one-liner.

M3 t00.

--
chuk
Anonymous

Maxon wrote:
> That sounds pretty awful. BUT, as you say, the comp was a sanity saver.
>
> Best
> Jen

You're female? Not that it matters, but - cool!
July 1, 2005 7:50:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:14:52 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> dared speak in front of ME:

>First person view gives me motion sickness and I can't play those sorts of
>games. So I hope so too.

FPV just makes me feel half blind; without a triple-moniter setup to
mimic peripheral vision, it just doesn't work for me.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

July 2, 2005 1:47:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Well, I've always thought so!!

Best wishes
Maxon

<alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Maxon wrote:
> > That sounds pretty awful. BUT, as you say, the comp was a sanity saver.
> >
> > Best
> > Jen
>
> You're female? Not that it matters, but - cool!

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:32:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <w46dnQlFPs1H3SDfRVn-rQ@comcast.com>, Frank Nospam
<yahoo_com@francis.uy> wrote:

> Is it true that v1.66 doesn't do the CD check any more?
> My Windows-using friend doesn't want to upgrade until
> there's a NoCD version. (Yes, he bought the game legally)
> I use Mac NWN, which has always been NoCD (effectively),
> so I don't have a way to verify this personally.

I can confirm that my 100% kosher Mac 1.66 (with HotU) no longer
requires any CD to be mounted.

Richard.
July 4, 2005 4:34:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

{SNIP}
>...I've been playing a game called Vampire
> Bloodlines, which is a lot of fun, but it keeps defaulting back to first
> person view after certain actions or when you enter new areas (you can
> choose between 3rd and 1st) and if I don't notice it immediately, I end up
> having a sickness fit. Still, they're not as bad as the ones I had before
> my operation but it does spoil my experience of the game. Oh, I don't
> drink - I couldn't when I was ill and have never started again.
>
> Scary reply - bet you didn't expect that!
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon

So basically, no more counter-strike and no more beer!? Lords, I'd cry
myself to sleep everynight. :(

Glad to know you've come through it allright.

- Michael (Darius)
"There can be only one."
!