Need IPSEC Policy Agent Running?

foleylink

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004

run Windows 2000 Pro/SP4 on a stand-alone notebook
computer. In about one out of every four or five system
startups, when I check the System Log, I notice two error
messages "IPSEC PolicyAgent Service couldn't be started:
Oakley failed to start" and "IPSEC PolicyAgent Service:
Driver failed to start."

From Services I can start the IPSEC Policy Agent after
boot-up with no problem. My question is - do I need this
service running, or can I just disable it, and avoid the
error messages. I don't know if it is essential.

It is not essential to the operating system working but is used for ipsec policies,
which includes l2tp vpn client, that are used to secure network traffic which is not
enabled by default. The service shows no other services dependant on it in Windows
2000. You can disable it and often the errors is fixed if you reinstall tcp/ip as
shown in the KB link below. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=285034