Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can I password protect an individual file?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 10:19:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi,

I've just bought a pocket pc running Windows Mobile 2003. Is it
possible to password protect (or encrypt) an individual file in this
system?

If the OS doesn't support this is it possible to install a package than
can?

Thanks for any info.

John Smith.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 7:52:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In addition to the suggestions provided, you may want to look at Resco
Explorer 2003. It will allow you to encrypt individual files and folders as
well and comes with a registry editor and is an excellent File Explorer
replacement. You can get information on it at http://www.resco.net.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com

A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!

<J.W.T.Smith@kent.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:1115644767.240661.53940@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
> Hi,
>
> I've just bought a pocket pc running Windows Mobile 2003. Is it
> possible to password protect (or encrypt) an individual file in this
> system?
>
> If the OS doesn't support this is it possible to install a package than
> can?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> John Smith.
>
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:04:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi

You need 3. part software to do that...

here is a free one http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=916

or if you want to pay http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=16038


--

Regards,
Allan Boegild Pedersen
www.pda-faq.com

<J.W.T.Smith@kent.ac.uk> skrev i en meddelelse
news:1115644767.240661.53940@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
> Hi,
>
> I've just bought a pocket pc running Windows Mobile 2003. Is it
> possible to password protect (or encrypt) an individual file in this
> system?
>
> If the OS doesn't support this is it possible to install a package than
> can?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> John Smith.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:43:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Though you can protected all your files like .txt with passwords. You can
protect your documents like Excel and Word with password. Open your
documents on Pocket PC. Go to File menu and you can password protect your
documents from there.

Sasi

--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
<J.W.T.Smith@kent.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:1115644767.240661.53940@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
> Hi,
>
> I've just bought a pocket pc running Windows Mobile 2003. Is it
> possible to password protect (or encrypt) an individual file in this
> system?
>
> If the OS doesn't support this is it possible to install a package than
> can?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> John Smith.
>
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:43:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi,
Unfortunately you cannot password protect a Pocket Word, Pocket Excel or
Notes file when you save it in Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition or prior
software.

Further ActiveSync cannot convert and you cannot open password protected
files on your Pocket PC.


--
Chris De Herrera
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com
http://www.tabletpctalk.com
http://www.pocketpctalk.com
http://www.mobilitytalk.com

"Sasidhar [MSFT]" <sasiv@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o S1x3mKVFHA.2984@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Though you can protected all your files like .txt with passwords. You can
> protect your documents like Excel and Word with password. Open your
> documents on Pocket PC. Go to File menu and you can password protect your
> documents from there.
>
> Sasi
>
> --
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
> <J.W.T.Smith@kent.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:1115644767.240661.53940@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just bought a pocket pc running Windows Mobile 2003. Is it
>> possible to password protect (or encrypt) an individual file in this
>> system?
>>
>> If the OS doesn't support this is it possible to install a package than
>> can?
>>
>> Thanks for any info.
>>
>> John Smith.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:43:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Encryption is also one of the features of Resco Explorer, which brings a
whole bunch of extras to the table. It also includes a desktop module for
Explorer so the file can be decrypted for editing on the desktop.


"Allan Boegild Pedersen" <abp@Removethis.mail.dk> wrote in message
news:o jX8mhKVFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> You need 3. part software to do that...
>
> here is a free one http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=916
>
> or if you want to pay
> http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=16038
>
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Allan Boegild Pedersen
> www.pda-faq.com
>
> <J.W.T.Smith@kent.ac.uk> skrev i en meddelelse
> news:1115644767.240661.53940@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just bought a pocket pc running Windows Mobile 2003. Is it
>> possible to password protect (or encrypt) an individual file in this
>> system?
>>
>> If the OS doesn't support this is it possible to install a package than
>> can?
>>
>> Thanks for any info.
>>
>> John Smith.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:56:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Chris De Herrera" <spam@pocketpctalk.com> wrote in message
news:o u$$IiPVFHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> Unfortunately you cannot password protect a Pocket Word, Pocket Excel or
> Notes file when you save it in Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition or prior
> software.
>
> Further ActiveSync cannot convert and you cannot open password protected
> files on your Pocket PC.
>
>

Um, not so sure about that - at least not all of it.

On my rx3115 (Windows Mobile 2003 second edition) using Pocket Excel I can
go to tools\password and enter a password for the file once a spreadsheet is
selected.

I cannot do so for pocket word, though.

Could it be manufacturer specific?
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:56:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hello,

You can password protect the file with no problem. However, if you sync
them, it will strip the password protection off and will not be protected on
the PC. The same holds true in reverse. This is the same behavior on
Pocket Word/Excel.

Hope this helps,


--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com

A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!

"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message
news:o U1tOmYVFHA.3868@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
> "Chris De Herrera" <spam@pocketpctalk.com> wrote in message
> news:o u$$IiPVFHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>> Unfortunately you cannot password protect a Pocket Word, Pocket Excel or
>> Notes file when you save it in Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition or
>> prior software.
>>
>> Further ActiveSync cannot convert and you cannot open password protected
>> files on your Pocket PC.
>>
>>
>
> Um, not so sure about that - at least not all of it.
>
> On my rx3115 (Windows Mobile 2003 second edition) using Pocket Excel I
> can go to tools\password and enter a password for the file once a
> spreadsheet is selected.
>
> I cannot do so for pocket word, though.
>
> Could it be manufacturer specific?
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 7:37:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
<management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
news:%23sBAUuYVFHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> You can password protect the file with no problem. However, if you sync
> them, it will strip the password protection off and will not be protected
> on the PC. The same holds true in reverse. This is the same behavior on
> Pocket Word/Excel.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
>

True about syncing taking off the password ( the PC even prompts for the
password when merely copied). However, as far as pocket word is concerned
from my viewpoint there is not an option even for a password, unlike Pocket
Excel which does allow for it ( via Tools/password once spreadsheet is
opened).

The OS I am using for reference is Windows Mobile 2003 SE.

Just trying to keep it straight, no big deal.
!