Can't uninstall iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

After recovering from a Windows XP Home SP2 crash, I received a message to
resintall iTunes. When I tried to uninstall in Add/Remove Programs, in
preparation for reinstalling, the UninstallShield Wizard came up and then
disappeared with no follow-on.
Any suggestions for proceeding with an uninstall?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"fshoff" <fshoff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After recovering from a Windows XP Home SP2 crash, I received a message to
> resintall iTunes. When I tried to uninstall in Add/Remove Programs, in
> preparation for reinstalling, the UninstallShield Wizard came up and then
> disappeared with no follow-on.
> Any suggestions for proceeding with an uninstall?

Reinstall it, then you are good to attempt to uninstall it. If you want it
back, reinstall it again.

CJM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002

Don't use itunes it is one of the most shitty written apps I have seen.
almost as bad as quicktime

"fshoff" <fshoff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After recovering from a Windows XP Home SP2 crash, I received a message to
> resintall iTunes. When I tried to uninstall in Add/Remove Programs, in
> preparation for reinstalling, the UninstallShield Wizard came up and then
> disappeared with no follow-on.
> Any suggestions for proceeding with an uninstall?

Thanks.
Tried reinstalling, but reinstall failed when iTunes found an existing
version resident on the computer.
Any other ideas?

fshoff Wrote:
> Thanks.
> Tried reinstalling, but reinstall failed when iTunes found an existing
> version resident on the computer.
> Any other ideas?
>
> "Tom" wrote:
> -
>
> "fshoff" fshoff@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
> After recovering from a Windows XP Home SP2 crash, I received a
> message to
> resintall iTunes. When I tried to uninstall in Add/Remove Programs,
> in
> preparation for reinstalling, the UninstallShield Wizard came up and
> then
> disappeared with no follow-on.
> Any suggestions for proceeding with an uninstall?-
>
> Reinstall it, then you are good to attempt to uninstall it. If you
> want it
> back, reinstall it again.
>

> -

I'm having the same EXACT annoying problem....I click uninstall or the
"FIX" function....it looks like it's working but you never get any
confirmation. The program just stays there. I don't know what else to
try.

--
tunahead23

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"tunahead23" <tunahead23.1ljjez@news.xpbanter.com> wrote in message

> fshoff Wrote:
>> Thanks.
>> Tried reinstalling, but reinstall failed when iTunes found an existing
>> version resident on the computer.
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> "Tom" wrote:
>> -
>>
>> "fshoff" fshoff@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
>> After recovering from a Windows XP Home SP2 crash, I received a
>> message to
>> resintall iTunes. When I tried to uninstall in Add/Remove Programs,
>> in
>> preparation for reinstalling, the UninstallShield Wizard came up and
>> then
>> disappeared with no follow-on.
>> Any suggestions for proceeding with an uninstall?-
>>
>> Reinstall it, then you are good to attempt to uninstall it. If you
>> want it
>> back, reinstall it again.
>>

>> -
>
> I'm having the same EXACT annoying problem....I click uninstall or the
> "FIX" function....it looks like it's working but you never get any
> confirmation. The program just stays there. I don't know what else to
> try.

Download the latest version of Quicktime, this comes with itunes as part of
the install package.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

After you install it all, then go to Add/Remove, and uninstall the itunes
from the list (not Quicktime)

Thanks, Tom, but no cigar.
Installation of combined QuickTime+iTunes aborted, as before, with a message
that there is a newer version of iTunes resident on the computer. Don't ask
me how my last update of iTunes as of several months ago managed to be newer
than the current download, but there it is. Looks as though I'm going to
have to do a manual uninstall of iTunes unless you have any better ideas. By
the way, after the abort, I was able to uninstall QuickTime, for whatever
that's worth.
Fred