I can't get this to work! XP hates my dad's computer.

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Ok, I just built myself a new PC, and while I was on the Egg, my dad asked me to order him a DVD-RW drive for his 582-year-old desktop. No problem, I said. I got him the same one I ordered myself, the NEC Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache E-IDE / ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM (Say that 3 times fast.)

So I just got the drives in the mail, and the one worked with no problem in my new PC. However, when I threw the other in my dad's PC, it gave us trouble. The drive started showing up as a "DVD-RAM" drive, as opposed to the RW drive it is. And if I tried to throw in a DVD-R disc, it turned into a CD-ROM drive and spit out errors.

I assumed it might have been a bad drive, so I took my working one out, and threw it in his. Same errors. What's more, is his drive worked in my PC just fine.

Here's his old custom-built setup:
Some old processor from the 1.3Ghz family
512 RAM
Other specs that don't matter
Windows XP Pro w/ SP2

He currently has the DVD-RW drive hooked up as the master, and a CD-RW (which works fine) as a slave. If I try to uninstall and reinstall the drive, it just keeps recognizing it as a DVD-RAM drive.

If anyone could help me out, that'd be fantastic.

~Dac

CallumN

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
The fact that it comes up as a DVD-RAM has nothing to do with your problems. The drive is a DVD-RAM drive, and should show up as much, mine does. Try and upgrade the firmware on the drive and see if that helps, aswell as the BIOS if need be.

monkeymanuk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Take out the old CD-RW drive. Don't connect them both.

Hook up the DVD Drive with the original cable. If that does not work then try a new cable like the one in your new machine.

Might be a problem of old incompatible technology!

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Almost 50% or more of the DVD-rw's I see or install, come up as DVD-RAM.. not to worry.

does it read right, burn properly, ect??? thats the test.

as mentioned before, try different cabling/removing the CDRW if your actually having problems reading/writing. try an 80 conducter ide cable if needed (I have had problems with various brands not liking 40 conducter cables).

Take out the old CD-RW drive. Don't connect them both.

Hook up the DVD Drive with the original cable. If that does not work then try a new cable like the one in your new machine.

Might be a problem of old incompatible technology!
I suggests that you try this. It worked on the same type of problem i faced.