Permissions Batch File

Dear all

I have been given the task to create a folder structure and permissions on
the structure (easy enough!!!). Problem being there are some 5000 folders
to be created and permissions applied to!!!

The folder structure has been created but I still need to apply the
permissions to the folders. Can anyone give me any ideas on how I can
create a batch file to create the permissions? Here are some details on
what I need to be able to do.

The Folder Structure is on Four Levels (ie e:\level1\level2\level3\level4).
Everyone gets read only access to all folders (already done... that was the
easy bit). I need to be able to grant MRLRW permissions at levels 3 & 4 and
just to confuse matters I need to be able to grant permissions to create
files but not folders (which again I can do through the GUI but don't know
if it can be done through a batch file).

I hope that is all clear. Thanks in advance.

Steve

The fileacl command line program may be able to do what you want. it is very flexible
and has many advanced options such as inherit, protect, subs, and batch. I suggest
you try it on a test setup until you get the hang of it. The links below should
elp. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=723f64ea-34f0-4e6d-9a72-004d35de4e64&DisplayLang=en
http://membres.lycos.fr/jfb/gb/gbtools/fileacl.htm

"SLingerUK" <Steve.Linger@his-herts.nhs.uk> wrote in message
> Dear all
>
> I have been given the task to create a folder structure and permissions on
> the structure (easy enough!!!). Problem being there are some 5000 folders
> to be created and permissions applied to!!!
>
> The folder structure has been created but I still need to apply the
> permissions to the folders. Can anyone give me any ideas on how I can
> create a batch file to create the permissions? Here are some details on
> what I need to be able to do.
>
> The Folder Structure is on Four Levels (ie e:\level1\level2\level3\level4).
> Everyone gets read only access to all folders (already done... that was the
> easy bit). I need to be able to grant MRLRW permissions at levels 3 & 4 and
> just to confuse matters I need to be able to grant permissions to create
> files but not folders (which again I can do through the GUI but don't know
> if it can be done through a batch file).
>
> I hope that is all clear. Thanks in advance.
>
> Steve

This can be done via a batch file. Use the CACLS or XCACLS command. Type
CACLS /? for more information. In most cases you will want to use CACLS
foldername /t /e /c /g userorgroupname:permission