Irritating and odd memory issue

DD_Jay_AZ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Mobo: Abit AN8 32X
Mem1: Corsair TwinX1024-3200XL, upto 2.75v verified by Corsair

Adding Mem2: OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum (OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K), upto 2.8v verified by OCZ

I'm currently running 2.7v (+0mv) @ 4 Beats Burst, Continuous MTRR map, enabled bank interleaving, and 2T command. This is to try and get this stable.

Corsair SPD detrected as:
tCL: 2.0
tRC: 11
tRFC: 14
tRAS: 5
tRCD: 2
tRP: 2
tRRD: 2
tWR: 3
tWTR: 2
tRTW: 3

OCZ SPD detected as:
tCL: 3.0
tRC: 12
tRFC: 14
tRAS: 8
tRCD: 4
tRP: 4
tWR: 3
tWTR: 2
tRTW: 4

My timings are currently set to the OCZ looser timings, which seem to get me the most application stable at the moment, trying to play a game crashes though, or anything that is even slightly more memory intensive beyond Internet Explorer. I tried tightening the timings up a little but got blue screens.

I'm wondering if anone knows anything confirmed about these two memory sets not playing well together or have any suggestions for timings. I'd really like to get 2GB of memory functional on my system.

Mondoman

Splendid
1) Stop running Windows until you get this sorted out. For every crash, there are lots of other errors that you don't see, and these can easily lead to corruption of your system files, program files, and even data files.
2) (edit; saw sys details in sig)
3) Is this a new build, or has it been working fine for some time?
4) If the latter, in what configuration? Have you ever tested to verify by using something like memtest86+?
5) The general approach I would take here is to take out the Corsair (better) RAM for now and set it aside. Download memtest86+ (available as bootable floppy and CD images, or part of a compilation such as The Ultimate Boot CD.).
a) Install only the OCZ
b)In the BIOS, return all memory settings to "auto" (speed, latency, everything).
c) Boot and run memtest86+ through at least a few complete cycles. If there are any errors, RMA the OCZ for warranty replacement.
d) Go into BIOS and change the memory voltage only to the OCZ spec for your modules (2.8V).
e) Reboot, go into BIOS and change the other memory settings (speed and latency) to OCZ spec (not SPD) settings for your modules.
f) Reboot, run memtest86+ for at least a few complete cycles. Again, if there are any errors, RMA the OCZ for warranty replacement.
f) Add back your Corsair modules. They should run fine at the OCZ spec settings, since they have better specs.
g) Reboot, run memtest86+ for at least a few cycles to verify that all RAM is working properly. If not, you will have to do more debugging.
h) Go back to Windows fun!

DD_Jay_AZ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
1) I fear no file system corruption, I have sys state backups and Acronis images
2) ...
3) Been running fine for quite some time now, just trying to upgrade to 2GB of RAM. The Corsair has been rock solid for well over a year now.
4) I've already taken the OCZ out as I wanted to get some gaming in. I have MemTest86+ 1.70 on a CD already, haven't let a full pass go, I already know it'll find errors at this point if Windows applications/DEP isn't stable. It's obviously a memory addressing issue. DEP errors have popped up as well, meaning something is trying to write to flagged "in use" memory.

a) The OCZ runs fine solo.
b) Going by SPD /w both modules installed gets me VERY odd SPD settings, will post at bottom.
c) I have yet to run a full pass of the OCZ with memtest, I'm planning on running them solo overnight to be sure @ stock.
d) The OCZ spec is 2.6v, they support upto 2.8v without voiding the warranty. OCZ has that EVP (Extended Voltage Protection thing. I got these modules because I was under the impression I could run them at my Corsairs rated 2.75v safely.
e) The SPD detected doesn't agree with what their stated specs are. However, CPUZ reports the proper timings @ 166Mhz and looser timings @ 200Mhz, appearently, OCZ recommends manually assigning the values for these modules, which is gay.
f) Already covered, planning on doing it tonight, but it really seems like a timing issue between the two modules.
f?) Totally
g) I probably will if I can't get these working properly together. Maybe I'm wrong and it's something to do with Windows.
h) Windows fun? That's an oxymoron!! ;o)

SPD detects when the modules are mixed (4x512):
tCL: 2.5
tRC: 7
tRFC: 9
tRAS: 5
tRCD: 2
tRP: 2
tWR: 2
tWTR: 1
tRTW: 4
2T command

As you can see, mixing the modules makes the BIOS put them in a very agressive tight mode for some reason. Running @ this causes some core Windows services to crash and also caused a 0x7E BSOD.

DD_Jay_AZ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I think for snots and giggles, I'll try dropping the burst to 2 beats and disabling interleaving (maybe the OCZ doesn't support it somehow?)

I'd also imagine the the MTRR mapping would need to be continuous for this much memory, but I'll also try dropping it to discrete to see what happens, since I'm having adressing issues as well.