Sign in with
Your question

Enermax Noisetaker 485W & 8800gtx ?

Last response: in Components
February 10, 2007 4:59:52 PM

Hi

I am planing to buy a 8800gtx card but I am not sure if my PSU is "strong" enough to run this card. My system specs are as follows;

CPU: P4 640 (this is bad, I know - but will upgrade it soon..)
MB: Asus p5wd2 Premium
RAM: 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
Vga: Leadtek 7900GTO
Sound: X-FI ExtremeMusic

my system also includes 2x Optical drives (1x DVD-ROM drive & 1 DVD-RW) and 2 EIDE HDD's (2x200 GB) and 4 fans also.

What do you think, will the new 8800GTX vga card work with this setup ? I mean, will my PSU be good enough to run it under theese circumstances ? I mean, I could take 2 fans out from the system, but than my hdd's will run hotter..I don't want to waste more money on an another PSU if the Enermax 485 can handle this...
As i read from other forums, some say it won't, but others say it will work just fine, so I need a exact answer if it's possible..

I appreciate if I could get some answers.

Thank you in advance.

Rob
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2007 6:24:09 PM

Quote:

I normally do not recommend dual rail psu's for GPU's with a high power draw such as a G80 but after looking at the specs of this one 22amps per rail isnt too shabby.

22 amps per rail is peak, not constant. The Enermax Noisetaker 485w PSU can only provide 32 amps on the combined 12v rails.

To the OP:

Under max load the power consumption on the 12v rail wil be as follows:

P4 640 (stock speed)...............................................129w Intel Pentium 4 6XX Power Consumption Chart
Geforce 8800GTX.....................................................145w (This is nVidia's Estimate)
2 Hard Drives...........................................................32w
2 DVD Drives............................................................32w
4 120mm Fans (Full speed).......................................24w

Total Est. Max Power Consumption on 12v rails........362w
Total Est. Max Apm Consumption on 12v rails............30.17a

While gaming your actual power consumption will probably be more like 334w (27.83a) because your drives will be idling most of the time. So you shouldn't have a problem as long as you don't burn a DVD while gaming.

As you pointed out the P4 640 CPU is a problem. A C2D E6600 draws less than half at only 52w under load at stock speed.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-s...
February 10, 2007 6:56:36 PM

First of all, thank you for the input guys. Your information is very helpfull for me. Guess I'll buy the 8800gtx, and se wut happens. If it can handle it, I am happy. :D  If not..well, anyway, I will get the core 2 duo 6600 in march..that late, because just then I'll have the $$$ for the CPU and mobo. And besides, I won't overclock at all. yes..the my 460 CPU consumes alot..and I think this is the most "botlenked" part of my system...

Anyway, my 8800gtx will arrive on tuesday and then I can chek it.

Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it. It is good to know that there are many of you guys who knows about PSU's and those who can give good advices.

With kind regards,

Rob.
!