uninstalling SP2

I am purchasing a new Dell replacement machine with XPHome as the operating
system. I expect the machine will have SP2 preinstalled. Will I be able to
uninstall SP2 from my new machine? I installed SP2 on my current machine
that has XPHome and had to uninstall it because it seriously comprimised an
application that I will also be running on my new machine.
--
Joseph Childs (jchilds1@nycap.rr.com)
All messages are scanned for viruses before being sent

No. You will not be able to uninstall SP2 if it preinstalled.

"Joseph Childs" <jchilds1@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am purchasing a new Dell replacement machine with XPHome as the operating
> system. I expect the machine will have SP2 preinstalled. Will I be able to
> uninstall SP2 from my new machine? I installed SP2 on my current machine
> that has XPHome and had to uninstall it because it seriously comprimised
> an
> application that I will also be running on my new machine.
> --
> Joseph Childs (jchilds1@nycap.rr.com)
> All messages are scanned for viruses before being sent

This is straight from the Dell Knowledge Base, I own one also with SP2
Preinstalled, no problems though.

Uninstall Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)

By utilizing the steps below to uninstall the Windows XP Service Pack 2
(SP2) program from your system, you are avoiding any issues that may occur
when using other methods to uninstall this program.

To safely uninstall the Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) program, perform the
following steps:

1.. Click the Start button.

2.. Click the Control Panel icon.
The Control Panel window appears.

3.. Double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon.
The Add or Remove Programs window appears.

4.. From the Currently installed programs: section, locate the Windows XP
Service Pack 2 and click once on the listing to highlight it.

5.. Click the Remove button.
The Windows XP Service Pack 2 Removal Wizard window appears.

6.. Click the Next button.

NOTE: After you click the Next button, the system may appear to stop
responding. This is normal as this process can take several minutes to
complete. A progress window will eventually appear after the initial pause.

The message Service Pack 2 has been successfully removed. To restart your
computer, click Finish. appears.

7.. Click the Finish button.
The system will now restart.

NOTE: The reboot will take longer than usual. The system will display
a black screen for several minutes as it updates the changes.

Return to Overview

Additional Information

NOTE: For additional information about the Microsoft Windows XP Service
Pack 2 (SP2) program, refer to Dell Knowledge Base Article:

What is Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and What Are
the New Features?

Support Options

For more troubleshooting assistance, click one of the support options below.

Dell Community Forum
Get answers from Dell customers helping each other.

E-mail Dell
Communicate by e-mail with a Dell Representative.

begin 666 10675121.gif
M1TE&.#EA$0`1`/<```````$!`0("`@,#`P0$! 4%!08&!@<'!P@(" D)"0H*
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M^OO[^_S\_/W]_?[^_O___RP`````$0`1```(U0!GF!A(T 0+$QG6].M&I]P_
M#Q4B2HQX( N^;F^P_?LW8J+$BOF^N;&V455'CR!%DO2GZ=7)CUGRD8M3[9^_
M3*XX3@1)K@[)?Z!@_7OT,D',GC7_A8KU[X^*DPN6["M7)^G2I@ED=*30X%:W
MJANO_DD@@4;'!S9@@>@5ENE8"17,5D P!X\`4?$^N24;T2P%"+*N`&BPHA)6
MN'U'/'!QL8L>4:N^-)@PT2P"/O_2G7)#(T(""A[-2C #1H2#!!! >XS[P4(#
2!1%4KXX8(\:(V[ASZP82$ `[
`
end

Doesn't apply to preinstalled systems that include SP2, it is already
integrated - no uninstall option will exist.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mickey" <barkerpad@aol.com> wrote in message
> This is straight from the Dell Knowledge Base, I own one also with SP2
> Preinstalled, no problems though.
>
> Uninstall Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
>
> By utilizing the steps below to uninstall the Windows XP Service Pack 2
> (SP2) program from your system, you are avoiding any issues that may occur
> when using other methods to uninstall this program.
>
> To safely uninstall the Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) program, perform
> the following steps:
>
> 1.. Click the Start button.
>
> 2.. Click the Control Panel icon.
> The Control Panel window appears.
>
> 3.. Double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon.
> The Add or Remove Programs window appears.
>
> 4.. From the Currently installed programs: section, locate the Windows XP
> Service Pack 2 and click once on the listing to highlight it.
>
> 5.. Click the Remove button.
> The Windows XP Service Pack 2 Removal Wizard window appears.
>
> 6.. Click the Next button.
>

> NOTE: After you click the Next button, the system may appear to stop
> responding. This is normal as this process can take several minutes to
> complete. A progress window will eventually appear after the initial
> pause.
>

> The message Service Pack 2 has been successfully removed. To restart your
> computer, click Finish. appears.
>
> 7.. Click the Finish button.
> The system will now restart.
>

> NOTE: The reboot will take longer than usual. The system will display
> a black screen for several minutes as it updates the changes.
>

> Return to Overview

> Additional Information
>

> NOTE: For additional information about the Microsoft Windows XP
> Service Pack 2 (SP2) program, refer to Dell Knowledge Base Article:
>
> What is Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and What
> Are the New Features?
>

> Support Options
>
> For more troubleshooting assistance, click one of the support options
> below.
>

> Dell Community Forum
> Get answers from Dell customers helping each other.
>
> E-mail Dell
> Communicate by e-mail with a Dell Representative.

I stand corrected Nutcase, got to go and reboot the brain- Again- :) I
wasn't thinking when he said preinstalled, and I know for a fact that all
new Dells have SP2 Preinstalled. Sorry for the misinformation on my part.
Mick

"Joseph Childs" <jchilds1@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am purchasing a new Dell replacement machine with XPHome as the operating
> system. I expect the machine will have SP2 preinstalled. Will I be able to
> uninstall SP2 from my new machine? I installed SP2 on my current machine
> that has XPHome and had to uninstall it because it seriously comprimised
> an
> application that I will also be running on my new machine.
> --
> Joseph Childs (jchilds1@nycap.rr.com)
> All messages are scanned for viruses before being sent

Just a suggestion, and I'm far from being an expert on Windows, but you
might want to rethink this a bit. Conflicts with an older program, even one
you like, shouldn't be enough reason to uninstall service pack 2. If it's
preinstalled, you might not have the uninstall option anyway, but even more
important, almost everything in software that becomes available from now on
will assume SP2 installed on the system. Even Windows updates for XP will
reflect the need to have SP2 installed. You could be leaving your operating
system with a severe handicap if you continue on beyond the SP2 transition
into XP point without having it installed.
Almost every software developer out here is now, or has already, adjusted
any software worth keeping on your system to reflect any changes in SP2.
Why don't you search the developer's site for your software and update the
latest version?
Whatever you decide to do, I strongly suggest that you NOT attempt to use XP
on a new computer with new software, without having SP2 and all Windows
Updates installed on the OS.
If it's any consolation, I have XP home, and SP2 installed, and have
absolutely 0 issues.
It's your call of course, but this would be my opinion as an average home
user.
All the best,
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship