Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows does not recognize my seagate hard drive

Last response: in Windows 7
July 11, 2011 7:48:47 PM

Hello,
I have a Seagate external hard drive filled with photos from a mac. I am now trying to copy those onto a pc. Windows does not recognize the drive
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2011 8:15:49 PM

Does it not see the drive physically, or can you not access the items stored on it?

If you do to disk management (start, run, diskmgmt.msc), it should show drives that are plugged in.

If it was formatted for your mac, there's a possibility that it can't natively read the file system (since windows uses NTFS and doesn't play too nice with other filesystems). Did you format it for your mac?
Score
July 11, 2011 8:17:37 PM

your mac probably formatted the drive with a HFS+ file system, which windows doesn't recognize natively.
you can try this 3rd party program which supposedly allows windows to read HFS+, though i can't vouch for it.

if you want an external/USB drive to work on both mac and PC then use FAT32 file system instead.
Score
Related resources
July 11, 2011 8:32:39 PM

You can buy MacDrive and get read/write access or you can get HFSExplorer for free and only read from the drive.

EDIT: I look away for a few minutes and there were a couple of replies, oh well hope it helps.
Score
June 2, 2012 8:01:21 PM

Thank you SO much, Huron, your advice was extremely helpful! :D 

huron said:
Does it not see the drive physically, or can you not access the items stored on it?

If you do to disk management (start, run, diskmgmt.msc), it should show drives that are plugged in.

If it was formatted for your mac, there's a possibility that it can't natively read the file system (since windows uses NTFS and doesn't play too nice with other filesystems). Did you format it for your mac?

Score
a b \ Driver
a c 395 $ Windows 7
June 2, 2012 8:04:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!