W98 firewall probe

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 2, 2004 4:26:21 AM

I have just started using a free firewall. Not used one
before, just virus scanners and adware scanners

I found yesterday that I had my ports scanned every 1-
mins or so by the same mac address. This was blocked each
time.

I have just got rid of 4 trojans using avg free version.

Is it normal to be scanned in this way...? Or is it
possible that one of the trojans left something that is
transmitting..?
I cant identify anything I dont recognise connecting
through the firewall....

Am I just being paranoid....??? Or could this be a
threat...?

More about : w98 firewall probe

August 2, 2004 3:08:45 PM

it is unfortunately normal. and yes, you are being paranoid... but that is
not always a bad thing. you have done the right thing by installing a
firewall, now scan with everything you can find to be sure you are clean.
if your free firewall also blocks outgoing connections (like zonealarm does)
then you would know if anything was trying to get out.

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have just started using a free firewall. Not used one
> before, just virus scanners and adware scanners
>
> I found yesterday that I had my ports scanned every 1-
> mins or so by the same mac address. This was blocked each
> time.
>
> I have just got rid of 4 trojans using avg free version.
>
> Is it normal to be scanned in this way...? Or is it
> possible that one of the trojans left something that is
> transmitting..?
> I cant identify anything I dont recognise connecting
> through the firewall....
>
> Am I just being paranoid....??? Or could this be a
> threat...?
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 12:28:53 AM

Expect lots of activity in the firewall log. Paranoid. I don't know. Do you stay up
all night watching for cars driving by your house? Let the firewall do it's job and
forget about it. However I personally would not trust a computer where four trojans
were found and remove. A reinstall would be best, but that is your call. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul... --- minimum security
confifuration recommendations.

!