Forbid process by name

Hello,

How could I forbid that my users execute a certain program (for instance
kazaa.exe)? Is there any software that monitors the process list and
kills the processes in a black list?

Thank you.

you can certainly use software restriction policies on XP and 2003 machines:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324036

--

David B. Cross [MS]

http://support.microsoft.com

"Pau Garcia i Quiles" <elpauer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> How could I forbid that my users execute a certain program (for instance
> kazaa.exe)? Is there any software that monitors the process list and
> kills the processes in a black list?
>
> Thank you.

As David Cross mentioned, Software Restriction Policies are very effective in XP
Pro/W2003. For W2K you would have to rely on populating the disallowed Windows
Application list in Group Policy /user configuration/administrative templates/system.
Users may be able to figure out that by renaming an executable, they can bypass the
restriction rule however and if users are also local administrators or power users,
then restricting them will be almost impossible. It may help to add install.exe and
setup.exe to the disallowed Windows application list. Software firewalls on a
computer may be another solution to restricting use of unauthorized internet
applications since they can have rules mapped to applications and the configuration
of the firewall can be password protected or limited to administrators. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323525