Sign in with
Your question

man - wives - shoot 'em. new cpu advice needed

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Quad Core
Last response: in CPUs
February 10, 2007 7:33:14 PM

there I am, being all practical and picking a e6600 with 2gb + 640mb GTS to keep the budget on a whole new system to £1200 inc VAT and the wife has now said.

'well you won't be buying another one for a while, isn't it better to go as high as you can now?'

talk about opening the floodgates.

well you can imagine my reaction. aside from the obvious drool, and explaining the whole concept of bell curves in relation to price etc.
I priced a pie in the sky system to show her how much I could spend if I had an unlimited budget, (it topped out at over £4000 BTW)

as in e6600 is terrfiically priced. going up to a e6700 or quad core is very price premium.

etc

and then turned to looking at practical additions to my system.

so now I have to rethink, rebudget etc.

my ideal spec at present was using a asus P5W 64 WS Pro so I know I can always upgrade to quad core later.

I do a lot of graphics work (3-4000 pixel images sometimes 600mb + in size.)

video work using vegas 7.0 (movie length projects with lots of compositing colour keying etc.) so upwards of utilising 100gb+ worth of video.

games (flight sims, tactical sims, fancy taking a look at oblivion that everyone raves about)

now I know the benefits dual core is going to bring me but the idea of quad core chewing the projects into submission sounds nice and if I go GTX + 2.4 quad core, its about £400 + VAT more.

however, I have read somewhere, can't remember where that photoshop and vegas are NOT setup to utilise quad core so spending all that extra would be a waste of time right?

I don't see the point in going to a dual 2.67 cpu because the price difference is naff to the 2.4 dual core. the benefit just doesn't work there because I know the 2.4 dual core is overclockable.

anyone care to leap in here with some arguments to help me decide. the thought of buying a quad core is very attractive, but I'm thinking that it might be worth keeping 2.4 dual core for now and then going

quad core, 4gb ram + vista at a later date so a new OS can take full advantage of the speed.

More about : man wives shoot cpu advice needed

February 10, 2007 9:13:44 PM

:wink:
Quote:
there I am, being all practical and picking a e6600 with 2gb + 640mb GTS to keep the budget on a whole new system to £1200 inc VAT and the wife has now said.

'well you won't be buying another one for a while, isn't it better to go as high as you can now?'

well you can imagine my reaction. aside from the obvious drool, and explaining the whole concept of bell curves in relation to price etc.
I priced a pie in the sky system to show her how much I could spend if I had an unlimited budget, (it topped out at over £4000 BTW)

as in e6600 is terrfiically priced. going up to a e6700 or quad core is very price premium.

etc

my ideal spec at present was using a asus P5W 64 WS Pro so I know I can always upgrade to quad core later.

video work using vegas 7.0 (movie length projects with lots of compositing colour keying etc.) so upwards of utilising 100gb+ worth of video.

games (flight sims, tactical sims, fancy taking a look at oblivion that everyone raves about)

now I know the benefits dual core is going to bring me but the idea of quad core chewing the projects into submission sounds nice and if I go GTX + 2.4 quad core, its about £400 + VAT more.

however, I have read somewhere, can't remember where that photoshop and vegas are NOT setup to utilise quad core so spending all that extra would be a waste of time right?

I don't see the point in going to a dual 2.67 cpu because the price difference is naff to the 2.4 dual core. the benefit just doesn't work there because I know the 2.4 dual core is overclockable.

anyone care to leap in here with some arguments to help me decide. the thought of buying a quad core is very attractive, but I'm thinking that it might be worth keeping 2.4 dual core for now and then going

quad core, 4gb ram + vista at a later date so a new OS can take full advantage of the speed.
Only you know your wife, and what "a while" means to her. If she's saying..."don't even think about spending any more for 3-5 years", then by all means..get a quad-core. The drop-in quad-core later idea is okay, but unless you can sock away some cash without her knowing, order it, get it delivered, and install....plus the new "late evenings of benching" which can be a giveway that you've done something(this is the way i do things...sneaky..yes), that might be a pipe-dream. :)  You can always overclock the quad-core if the lower clock-speed is an issue for you(though you won't get the same clock-speeds as a dual-core).Also, DX-10 should be in full swing in a couple years, so get a very good graphics card. Basically, you want overkill right now, so you aren't too far behind the curve... in 1-2 years time... IMO. GL :) 
February 10, 2007 9:31:43 PM

good point.

well let's see.

in 12 years of PC use I've had 6 systems. so I'm averaging 1 every 2 years. but since I got married I've had 1 new system and I've been married 5 years so as we can see the drop off is significant here.

a while

I interpret that to mean 3-4 years.

prices do drop. god I know that more than most having been a network admin for 5 years.

two an a bit years ago a P4 2.8 478 CPU was about £280 if memory serves. that now sells on ebay for about £60, if you're lucky. so that's just under 25% of it's original starting figure.

so, by the same rationale, a £500 ish Q6600 2.4ghz quad core in 2 years should be available for about £125 give or take.

which makes a nice upgrade at that point. there'll be lots more software that directly supports dual core and quad core operating.

at the moment.

a quad core delivers apparently a 39% to 89% increase over a dual core 6700 processor in something like vegas, or lightwave, programs that I do use. so there are arguments to getting one now. but I still, after all these years begrudge, paying the absolute top whack for THE premium processor at the time because I know full well it's gonna drop, and drop big.

someone wanna remind me when the intel price drop is due and what they projected for the quad core?

it might be worth waiting for 6 weeks or so.

at the moment I'm thinking GTS 640mb from BFG. but a six week wait might knock the GTX price down a bit as the second wave of DX10 8x series cards come out from Nvidia so suddenly, the price hike is not a complete git.
Related resources
February 10, 2007 10:12:40 PM

if you're going to have to wait a while before another upgrade, maybe hold on for some time to see the benchmarks on the R600 and new 8 series. or if you can't... get the GTX from evga, i hear they have a step-up program.
February 10, 2007 10:43:12 PM

would go with e4300 and a tuniq tower oc it up upwards of 3ghz the extra cache doesn't make much difference >10%. use saved money on 8800GTX would go for 4gb of ram 2x2gb stick you'll need ddr2-800.

AND definately with what your doing i would get multiple hard drives nd use raid0/5 you will notice a big difference in moving all those big files loading them etc.

I would save on the quad cores for like 9-12 months and buy em when you can get a good OCable one for less than £300.

But definately i would recommend multiple hard drives in raid.

obv cos your uk the price difference might be small between E4300 and E6600 if it's less than £100 i would jsut get the e6600 but whatever you get i would OC it's very cost effective pretty easy and not dangerous at all unless you do something stupid like hike voltage to the max straight away while using stock HS or something similar.
February 10, 2007 11:00:58 PM

price difference between e4300 and e6600 is £78 so not much of a difference really and from what I can read, 6600 can clock up to 3.7-3.8 in a pinch and is rock steady at 3.5-3.6ghz

regards the raid. I'm well aware of the advantages of having RAID for hard drives but when I was a network admin we had nothing but problems with them.

We had 1.2 ters in arrays at work and we were using a raid 5 array with one drive as bit checker for array rebuilding. they were always going down. I had failure three times in one year and it was a frigging nightmare.

the solution we came up with was to basically backup regularly and that was it. the safety of the data far outweighed the slight performance increase by running RAID systems. nice idea, but not one for me.

re 4GB of RAM, isn't it right that although XP can theoretically address 4GB, on a daily basis I had read that it usually only makes about 3GB available to the system.
February 11, 2007 3:39:55 AM

Quote:
price difference between e4300 and e6600 is £78 so not much of a difference really and from what I can read, 6600 can clock up to 3.7-3.8 in a pinch and is rock steady at 3.5-3.6ghz

regards the raid. I'm well aware of the advantages of having RAID for hard drives but when I was a network admin we had nothing but problems with them.

We had 1.2 ters in arrays at work and we were using a raid 5 array with one drive as bit checker for array rebuilding. they were always going down. I had failure three times in one year and it was a frigging nightmare.

the solution we came up with was to basically backup regularly and that was it. the safety of the data far outweighed the slight performance increase by running RAID systems. nice idea, but not one for me.

re 4GB of RAM, isn't it right that although XP can theoretically address 4GB, on a daily basis I had read that it usually only makes about 3GB available to the system.
Yeah, you'll only see 3.2-3.25GB in XP with 4GB. With regards to the quad-core, you don't have to get the QX6700..you can get the Q6600(2.4GHz) and overclock it...probably almost as high as the 6700..while saving some coin. :wink:
February 11, 2007 9:35:06 AM

Quote:
:wink: there I am, being all practical and picking a e6600 with 2gb + 640mb GTS to keep the budget on a whole new system to £1200 inc VAT and the wife has now said.

etc

Only you know your wife, and what "a while" means to her. If she's saying..."don't even think about spending any more for 3-5 years", then by all means..get a quad-core. The drop-in quad-core later idea is okay, but unless you can sock away some cash without her knowing, order it, get it delivered, and install....plus the new "late evenings of benching" which can be a giveway that you've done something(this is the way i do things...sneaky..yes), that might be a pipe-dream. :)  You can always overclock the quad-core if the lower clock-speed is an issue for you(though you won't get the same clock-speeds as a dual-core).Also, DX-10 should be in full swing in a couple years, so get a very good graphics card. Basically, you want overkill right now, so you aren't too far behind the curve... in 1-2 years time... IMO. GL :) 

I just have one thing to say to the OP:

(AND BTW, BEFORE REPORTING ME, PLEASE NOTE THAT IT'S IN FUN ONLY AND NO OFFENSE INTENDED!)

Hey, does your p****-whipped a$$ wear the pants in your family or does your wife pull out the d**** whenever you need to be disciplined? Just grab her, plunk her a$$ on top of the kitchen table and give her a couple of O's that rank as a 9.5 on the Richter Scale. Then when she's panting, glowing and out of breath, slap her on the a$$ and tell her you're going to the computer store whenever you damn well want, because YOU'RE THE DADDY!

Another example of superlative couples counseling by Captain Robert April, M.D.

:twisted:
February 11, 2007 9:37:11 AM

Quote:
:wink: there I am, being all practical and picking a e6600 with 2gb + 640mb GTS to keep the budget on a whole new system to £1200 inc VAT and the wife has now said.

etc

I just have one thing to say to the OP:

(AND BTW, BEFORE REPORTING ME, PLEASE NOTE THAT IT'S IN FUN ONLY AND NO OFFENSE INTENDED!)

Hey, does your p****-whipped a$$ wear the pants in your family or does your wife pull out the d**** whenever you need to be disciplined? Just grab her, plunk her a$$ on top of the kitchen table and give her a couple of O's that rank as a 9.5 on the Richter Scale. Then when she's panting, glowing and out of breath, slap her on the a$$ and tell her you're going to the computer store whenever you damn well want, because YOU'RE THE DADDY!

Another example of superlative couples counseling by Captain Robert April, M.D.

:twisted:Massively Diseased? :D 
February 11, 2007 9:45:55 AM

Quote:
Massively Diseased? :D 

Look here, Tanker, just because I am afflicted several dozen sexually transmitted diseases, some of which have eaten holes in my cerebral cortex that even a hungry prion would envy, that does not disqualify me from advising people who do not have my level of expertise in negotiating with the opposite sex.

My philosophy is simple: Once you've got her purring and sloshing around the satin sheets, she will agree to ANYTHING you want! :twisted:

Now if you will excuse me, it's time for my acyclovir, amoxicillin, azithromycin, cefixime, ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, erythromycin, famciclovir, ofloxacin, penicillin V and valacyclovir cocktail on the rocks with a twist of lime.

8)
February 11, 2007 9:48:21 AM

Quote:
Massively Diseased? :D 

Look here, Tanker, just because I am afflicted several dozen sexually transmitted diseases, some of which have eaten holes in my cerebral cortex that even a hungry prion would envy, that does not disqualify me from advising people who do not have my level of expertise in negotiating with the opposite sex.

My philosophy is simple: Once you've got her purring and sloshing around the satin sheets, she will agree to ANYTHING you want! :twisted:

Now if you will excuse me, it's time for my acyclovir, amoxicillin, azithromycin, cefixime, ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, erythromycin, famciclovir, ofloxacin, penicillin V and valacyclovir cocktail on the rocks with a twist of lime.

8)Bottom's Up.......no wait.....that's how you got all those diseases in the first place. :p 
February 11, 2007 9:52:10 AM

Quote:
Bottom's Up.......no wait.....that's how you got all those diseases in the first place. :p 

I wear my diseases as a badge of honor. Each one is a memory of a lovely young lady who offered her honor, I honored her offer and all night long I was on her and off her. :lol: 
February 11, 2007 9:28:58 PM

*ahem* getting back on topic. i AM the daddy :D  but at the same time you can spend yourself into a hole even when you don't want to

the quad core I was looking at was the Q6600 which overclockers has for £478.

I think E6600 + 2GB is the route then with a quad core upgrade next year sometime when the prices drop.

I know there is a price drop due which theoretically will put the Q6600 down to about £350 but by my reckoning that is about 10 weeks away unless someone can enlighten me further.
February 12, 2007 5:11:55 AM

Quote:
*ahem* getting back on topic. i AM the daddy :D  but at the same time you can spend yourself into a hole even when you don't want to

I think E6600 + 2GB is the route then with a quad core upgrade next year sometime when the prices drop.

I know there is a price drop due which theoretically will put the Q6600 down to about £350 but by my reckoning that is about 10 weeks away unless someone can enlighten me further.

That's not a bad price considering its coming from Ripoff UK and you're being stuffed for 20% VAT. When you take that into consideration it's actually cheaper than NewEgg, which is really surprising. I can't see a big price drop for those CPUs until April at which time they might plummet.

And congratulations on being the Daddy. It's nice isn't it? :wink:
February 12, 2007 11:13:02 AM

Quote:
Why not stash the £4000 now and buy something in May??? you'll be able to get a much better system.

If you buy a £1400 PC now, the wife might also frown upon upgrades.... so you may not be able to get that [drooling] QX6800

If she's okay with you spending £4000 on a PC, by all means, DO IT! But be wise and wait a couple months.

My suggestion is that you buy two PCs for 2000 quid each. And give me one! :lol: 
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2007 12:52:48 PM

Vegas 7 is multithreaded, and although the program it's self is not multithreaded, Photoshop will use as many cores or cpus available to render an image. Can really speed things up if you are using large files.
February 12, 2007 1:01:32 PM

Quote:
take the wife out to eat somewhere nice and a night on the town. Have to keep the Mrs. happy too. :lol: 

Damn. I've been trying for ten minutes to come up with a good reply to this but everything I can think of is a one-way ticket to ban-ville... Oh well... :( 

Quote:
Vegas 7 is multithreaded, and although the program it's self is not multithreaded, Photoshop will use as many cores or cpus available to render an image. Can really speed things up if you are using large files.

Is there a limit to Photoshop's use of cores? I wanna throw 8 cores (2xQuads) at it. Will it use up everything I've got? And do you know if is there any way around the 4GB RAM limit of max allocation to Photoshop? I wouldn't think so as it's a 32bit app, but maybe some hack exists somewhere to do a runaround.
February 12, 2007 1:16:17 PM

Quote:
take the wife out to eat somewhere nice and a night on the town. Have to keep the Mrs. happy too. :lol: 

Damn. I've been trying for ten minutes to come up with a good reply to this but everything I can think of is a one-way ticket to ban-ville... Oh well... :( 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

:wink:
February 12, 2007 1:35:35 PM

Quote:

Scan have them for £20 less - www.scan.co.uk :D 
!