Read only Access of Local security policies remotely

I'd like to provide read -only access of these policies to a network group for one or more of my servers but I am not sure how to go about setting it up.

thanks,

You can delegate regular users permissions to a GPO in a domain for linking and
editing purposes but as far as I know there is not a way to give a user just
read access to Local Security Policy on a computer. -- Steve

"achancco" <achancco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to provide read -only access of these policies to a network group for
one or more of my servers but I am not sure how to go about setting it up.

> thanks,

Thanks. That's what I thought. Is there a tool that could create a mmc console from the command line with the local security settings snap-in and save it into a .msc file format which can be placed in a share folder and be updated with a batch job.
The tool would need to work with W2k server as well W2003.

thanks,

-alfredo

"Steven Umbach" wrote:

> You can delegate regular users permissions to a GPO in a domain for linking and
> editing purposes but as far as I know there is not a way to give a user just
> read access to Local Security Policy on a computer. -- Steve
>

> "achancco" <achancco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'd like to provide read -only access of these policies to a network group for
> one or more of my servers but I am not sure how to go about setting it up.
> >
> > thanks,

I don't know a way to do exactly what you want, though there are very creative
scripting people that might and you may want to post in a Windows scripting newsgroup
also. The only thing I can think of trying is to use a startup script or schedule a
task possibly using the AT command that would run the secedit command at times needed
to do an analysis of the computer's Local Security Policy against a .inf security
template you specify and possibly a regular user could read the log file that is
created . That would be easy enough for you to try. The links below have more
information on the secedit command. --- Steve

http://is-it-true.org/nt/nt2000/atips/atips75.shtml
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/secedit_cmds.asp