How to fit extra fans on DS3

kkxtreme_28

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
i have got a ds3 motherboard. it can only have 3 fans but i wish to have 5 fans. is there any way for me to have another 2 fans?

slacker190

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
You really cant put any more fans off of the motherboard. If you tried to use splitters to connect more than one fan to a motherboard plug, the motherboard might not be able to handle the power needed.

Connect your fans to the power supply, they make adapters from 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan headers. If you need fan monitoring/speed control, you may want to invest in a fan controller

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
You can usually put more than one fan on an header, you just have to be mindful of the additive current. Supposing both fans are rated for under 0.2A, you should be ok. 0.2A is usually from a louder fan than most people want.

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I'm using several molex adaptors. I put a 50mm Fan on the northbridge with some fine wire and it seems to work fine, it just adds to the spaghetti.

wimcle

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Can I ask why, are you trying to make it fly :)

I have only the cpu fan in my computer (and the powersupply fans) and its still too noisy

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
That Northbridge gets crazy hot, especially with higher overclocks. I touched the heatsink shortly after running FSB 400 and turning the computer off and I easily could hav burned myself if I held my finger to the heat sink. I think the 50 MM fan has improved my stability, but unfortunately that hot air blowing down on the mobo has raised my cpu temps a little bit b/c they're in such close proximity. I'm looking to upgrade my Motherboard towards the end of the year, so for now everything is ok. Noise isn't too bad, but then again I used to use a box with a gainward 6800gt and a 36 gig raptor.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Check my sig. Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II northbridge heatsink.....works great and looks great too. Cheaper to rig a small 80mm fan blowing on the NB, but that looks ghetto.