Sign in with
Your question

Is it me, or are these USB HD's performing way too slow?

Last response: in Storage
February 10, 2007 7:59:41 PM

SEE MY THIRD POST FOR DETAILED TESTS I RAN AFTER POSTING THIS INITIAL QUESTION. IF YOU CAN EXPLAIN THE TEST RESULTS, YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!! :) 

I purchased two Western Digital "MyBook" 500GB USB 2.0 external HD's. I've got both of them plugged into USB 2.0 ports on my Sony VAIO PC. One is plugged into a port off the back of the PC, the other is plugged into a port off the front of the PC.

I copied 16GB of data from one to the other, and it took about 7.5 hours. A second copy of 3.1GB of data took about 3.5 hours. If my calculations are correct, this is about 0.25 - 0.5 MB per second. I thought USB 2.0 was much faster than this.

I've got a lot of data to copy between these drives (about 200GB), so at these rates it will take me weeks. Is this normal performance between USB 2.0 external drives? If not, do you have any suggestions as to why things are slow and how to fix it?

More about : usb performing slow

February 10, 2007 8:22:15 PM

This is definitely not anywhere near normal speed for a USB hard drive. USB 1 doesn't even transfer data that slow. The only advice i have is to reinstall the motherboard chipset/usb drivers.
February 10, 2007 8:47:15 PM

If it's tons of tiny files, USB performance will be horrible but that bad? I don't know if THAT bad.

See if your ports are operating properly in USB2 mode, are the necessary drivers installed and does anything else USB2 (like a flash thumbdrive) get very far over USB1.1 speed, throughput?
Related resources
February 10, 2007 9:23:14 PM

That is unusual. I would check to see what type of settings you're MOBO has for USB devices and see if something is out of whack.
February 11, 2007 10:42:09 PM

Good question I - I'm not sure if a flash reader gets better performance. I guess I'll run some file transfer tests of about 1GB file from

1st ext HD-to-2nd ext HD
internal HD to ext HD
internal HD to USB flash reader

and see how the transfer rates compare.

I did notice something in my Device Manager settings, and I'm not sure if it plays into this. In the Device Manager, the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" lists 3 "SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controllers" and one "SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller", followed by a number of "USB Root Hub" and "USB Mass Storage Device" listings. I'm not an expert on what all this means, but I assume the "SiS..." listings have something to do with my USB ports. When I right click on those and do a "properties", then select the "Advanced" tab, the dialog says "The table below shows you how much bandwidth each USB controller is using...". In the table, it lists "System reserved" under the "Description" column on the left, followed by "10%" under the "Bandwidth Used" column on the right.

Does that mean my ports are only using 10% of USB 2.0 total bandwidth? Does this possibly explain the slow performance?
February 12, 2007 2:01:43 AM

OK If you can figure this out, you're a heck of a lot smarter than I am.

I just did about 2 hours worth of testing. I plugged my first external HD into each of the 6 USB ports on my machine, and each time copied the same 433MB file from an internal HD to the external HD. I repeated this test for the 2nd external HD I have, and then for two SD card readers I have. Here are the very strange results:

External Western Digital "My Book" HD #1 - On 3 of the 6 USB ports (1 on the front of the PC, two on the back), transferred file in 20 seconds; on the other 3 ports (1 on the front, 2 on the back), it took approx. 8 minutes.

External Western Digital "My Book" HD #2 - On all 6 USB ports, the transfer took approx. 8 minutes.

SD Card Reader #1 - On all 6 of the ports, the transfer took approx. 9 minutes.

SD Card Reader #2 - On 5 of the 6 ports, the transfer took approx. 2 1/2 minutes. On the 6th port (one of the ports off the back of the PC), it took approx. 9 minutes.

Note that prior to every HD and SD connection above that ended up transferring slow, I received a Windows message "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a hi-speed USB hub…". A window then came up titled "Hi-speed Usb device attached to non-hi-speed hub", and lists a "USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller", with "USB Root Hub (6 ports)" listed below it in bold, and 6 individual ports listed below the Hub. Doesn't the USB 2.0 Controller indicate the ports are all USB 2.0??? Yet the window is telling me to "disconnect the device from the current port and then connect it to one of the ports on the hub in bold type" - but the device already is connected to one of those ports, isn't it?!? (there's only 6 USB ports on my machine)

Is this making any sense to any of you?!? Because I'm totally confused and quite a bit frustrated!!!

Thanks in advance!
February 12, 2007 3:07:31 AM

Try updating the drivers for your enhanced usb controller. I had a similar problem on one of my other computers.
February 12, 2007 2:28:26 PM

OK, BlackAxe, you're a genuis :) 

I guess an outdated driver could explain this inconsistent behavior.

Please excuse my ignorance (I'm not real experienced in the USB world), but how would I update my enhanced host controller driver? I believe I've tried doing a "properties" on it, selecting "update driver..." and searching Windows online for updates, and I believe it has told me it has the most current driver.

Here's the information the current enhanced host controller driver that I have:

SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
Provider: Microsoft Corporation
File version: 5.1.2600.2180(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Do you know if that is the most current one? If not, where do I get the most current, and how to I get the driver to update since Windows thinks I'm on the most current?

Thanks so much!
February 12, 2007 2:48:02 PM

I have tried windows update before also and never had any success. I tried to search around for the 7002 and couldn't really find anything except for those weird driver websites that I never trust.

Here is what I suggest. Go here: http://www.sis.com/support/support_prodid.htm

Try that out and see if it gives you any info. I tried doing a search on their website but without any luck. Give that Product identification program a try and see what it finds. It might give you the chipset model number of your motherboard and then you can get drivers for everything including usb. Give that a whirl and see how it goes.
February 12, 2007 3:30:20 PM

If you are using Windows XP, make sure SP2 is installed properly.
I hope it helps.
February 12, 2007 5:42:05 PM

SiS chipsets are notoriously slow, especially for IO operations.

Did you run your benchmarks multiple times for each port? Inconsistancies might be due to softare environment and not from changing ports (slightly along the same lines as updating your drivers, but I'm thinking overall system performance could be a big factor). Did you run the test on another computer as well? Which "Sony Vaio" PC is that?

~1mbps is pretty damn slow, and you got it with several different devices. It's gotta be something wrong with your computer.
February 12, 2007 7:21:41 PM

Quote:
OK If you can figure this out, you're a heck of a lot smarter than I am.

I just did about 2 hours worth of testing. I plugged my first external HD into each of the 6 USB ports on my machine, and each time copied the same 433MB file from an internal HD to the external HD. I repeated this test for the 2nd external HD I have, and then for two SD card readers I have. Here are the very strange results:

External Western Digital "My Book" HD #1 - On 3 of the 6 USB ports (1 on the front of the PC, two on the back), transferred file in 20 seconds; on the other 3 ports (1 on the front, 2 on the back), it took approx. 8 minutes.

External Western Digital "My Book" HD #2 - On all 6 USB ports, the transfer took approx. 8 minutes.

SD Card Reader #1 - On all 6 of the ports, the transfer took approx. 9 minutes.

SD Card Reader #2 - On 5 of the 6 ports, the transfer took approx. 2 1/2 minutes. On the 6th port (one of the ports off the back of the PC), it took approx. 9 minutes.

Note that prior to every HD and SD connection above that ended up transferring slow, I received a Windows message "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a hi-speed USB hub…". A window then came up titled "Hi-speed Usb device attached to non-hi-speed hub", and lists a "USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller", with "USB Root Hub (6 ports)" listed below it in bold, and 6 individual ports listed below the Hub. Doesn't the USB 2.0 Controller indicate the ports are all USB 2.0??? Yet the window is telling me to "disconnect the device from the current port and then connect it to one of the ports on the hub in bold type" - but the device already is connected to one of those ports, isn't it?!? (there's only 6 USB ports on my machine)

Is this making any sense to any of you?!? Because I'm totally confused and quite a bit frustrated!!!

Thanks in advance!

It looks like your system is randomly deciding that a device is usb 1.0 instead of 2.0 when plugged in. I would check drivers, as others have suggested, but first I would try another cable. Also blow out any dust in your usb ports (not that it would help but still, clean is better than not). Your sd#1 reader is obviously usb 1 since it didn't transfer fast on any of them. MAx theoretical bandwidth on usb 2 is 400Mb, so absolute max is approx 50MB/sec but most realistically 25MB/s (borne out by the fact that you got approx 20MB/s on your working fast transfers).

Anyways, anytime you get that notice about usb 2 device in slow hub means it is going to transfer slow at that time. But since it does recognize that a high speed device is being plugged into the system, it does seem more like a laptop hw/sw problem.

Centurion
February 12, 2007 9:22:30 PM

Quote:
I have tried windows update before also and never had any success. I tried to search around for the 7002 and couldn't really find anything except for those weird driver websites that I never trust.

Here is what I suggest. Go here: http://www.sis.com/support/support_prodid.htm

Try that out and see if it gives you any info. I tried doing a search on their website but without any luck. Give that Product identification program a try and see what it finds. It might give you the chipset model number of your motherboard and then you can get drivers for everything including usb. Give that a whirl and see how it goes.

Well I tried this and the SiS utility detected my chipset, then suggested driver downloads. Unfortunately for USB 2.0 it offers no driver, it just says "installed by OS". Of course, Windows is telling me I have the latest driver for the enhanced usb controller. So at this point I really don't know where to go.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I'm desperate!!!
February 12, 2007 9:52:57 PM

You have been asked several questions that you haven't responded to... can't help you if don't give us info.

It sounds like you have 3 pairs of USB ports, and that each pair is actually a USB hub? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense though. Have you checked with Sony about this problem? They might have an update, work-around, or disclaimer. And all of the other questions outstanding...

@Centurion
USB2.0 is 480mbps max which is 60MB/s. There are flash drives currently available that will do over 30MBps.
February 12, 2007 10:07:28 PM

I have the same drive you need to format it in NFTS BEFORE you use it , it ships with fat 32 I ran into the same problem if no one eles has aswered this problem for you then I hope this helps.
February 12, 2007 10:18:04 PM

Hate to be picky, but 1mbps is megabits per second. 1MBps is megabytes per second. Big difference.

USB 1.1 does 12Mbps = 1.5MB/s.
USB 2.0 External HDDs do up to 480Mbps = 60MB/s, but it really depends on the hard drive and enclosure.

I have to agree w/ Centurion, it sounds like your system is randomly figuring out if its a USB 1.1 or 2.0. This IS a USB 1.1/2.0 issue.

I would try driver updates if possible. Did it just start happening recently or have you always had this problem? You can download standalone USB 2.0 Win XP SP1 drivers if you search hard enough for them. Unfortunately I don't recall where I found them last time.

I would definitely repeat the test on another computer in order to isolate it to your laptop.

I suspect the hardware last since there aren't any moving parts (and I'm assuming you didn't drop your laptop many times).

Can we get more specs on that VAIO? model #, etc.
February 12, 2007 11:51:23 PM

I double checked my numbers and you're absolutely right. Also, 1.5MB/s is fairly close to what he's getting and could indeed be the entire problem.

sorry centurion, my bad :oops: 
February 13, 2007 2:06:26 AM

Quote:
You have been asked several questions that you haven't responded to... can't help you if don't give us info.

I apologize but I've done the best I can. Let me try to answer any questions/suggestions made above, in the event that haven't addressed them yet:

1) I've tried to take the advice many have given on "upgrading the USB drivers". Unfortunately Windows tells me they are current, and will not upgrade them, no matter what I try.

2) Tried the advice to run the utility at the SiS website to detect my chipset and offer drivers. Unfortunately, they do not offer USB 2.0 drivers - they say the OS has the drivers, and I'm back to #1 above.

3) Blowing on the dust ports, as someone suggested, didn't fix anything.

4) Someone suggested I upgrade my motherboard chipset drivers. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do that.

5) Someone suggested I check and see what settings my "MOBO" (assuming this means motherboard) has for USB devices. Again I don't know how to do this. (I'm green compared to most of you).

6) Someone suggested I check to make sure "SP2 is installed properly". Control Panel > Systems tells me SP2 is installed, so as far as I know, it's installed properly. Is there any way I can check if it isn't?

7) I did run the tests multiple times on each port. Results were the same every time.

8) I tried switching cables between the drives - the one drive connects hi-speed using the cable to the USB port, the other drive connects lo-speed using the same calbe to the same port.

9) I did not run any tests on another computer.

10) My PC is a VAIO PCV-RZ10C. It is a desktop, not a laptop.

Man that's about every question I could possibly find in the email streams above!

Quote:
It sounds like you have 3 pairs of USB ports, and that each pair is actually a USB hub? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense though.

All I can tell you here is what my Device Manager shows - it reads exactly like this (">" represents the USB symbol):

> Universal Serial Bus controllers
----->SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
----->SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
-----> USB 2.0 root Hub
-----> USB Mass Storage Device
-----> USB Root Hub
-----> USB Root Hub
-----> USB Root Hub

When I get the "Hi-Speed Device Attached to non-hi-speed hub" window, it lists my usb ports in the following manner (I have 6 total USB ports):

> SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
-----> USB Root Hub (6 ports)
-----------> Unused Port
-----------> Unused Port
-----------> Unused Port
-----------> Unused Port
-----------> Unused Port
-----------> Unused Port

That's a lot of detail, but worth giving if it provides you a clue as to what's going on?

Quote:
Have you checked with Sony about this problem? They might have an update, work-around, or disclaimer.

I plan to call them tomorow.

Thanks again for all your help - this is a real bugger.
February 13, 2007 2:32:34 AM

Ok, you ran multiple tests. That makes your results a lot more interesting. You actually did tell us that you have SP2 installed (cuz it says so in the name of the driver you posted earlier) but it is possible to force it to reinstall a different driver. I don't know where to get the actual driver to attempt that though

So you get USB2.0 speeds on only one of each pair of ports, but only with certain devices... it sounds like Sony screwed something up. I don't see any updates here that have to do with USB
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PCVRZ1...
You might want to look through there more carefully then I did though to check for other things that might need updating.

Also, a quick thing to try would be to uninstall all the USB stuff from device manager and then reboot your computer. It sounds more like a hardware problem then a software problem to me but it's an easy thing to try.

Oh, and for those wondering: Windows knows that the device is USB2.0 because the device says so. When it first connects the device sends a packet of information using low-speed USB1.1 signalling to identify itself and what it wants (things like faster speed and more power). So even though it is connected to a USB1.1 hub or controller, the packet of information requesting USB2.0 gets sent and triggers the alert.

As you notice in your device manager you don't have 6 of anything, you have 3 "----->SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller" and 3 "-----> USB Root Hub". I think you essentially you have three 2-port USB hubs attached to 3 USB ports, which is not uncommon. What is uncommon is that they obviously aren't working very well. If it's under warranty this might be a great excuse to ask for a new computer if you're willing to deal with the hassle.

The easy solution: USB Controller Add-in card No matter what is wrong with your on-board USB controller this will circumvent it and fix it. Just don't get a crappy one...

Let us know what they say.
February 13, 2007 2:33:49 AM

I'm not familiar enough with the Sony laptops to give specifics, but all desktop Bioses I've encountered have an option to set the USB ports at "Highspeed" or "Fast" or similar such terminology. One is 12 Megabits per second (USB1.1) and the other is 400 or more (USB2). Even if USB1 is selected in bios Windows can think it's USB2. I only suggest this because the transfer speeds for the HDs you list EXACTLY match my experience with transferring files on a drive connected viaUSB1.

Yes, Windows XP drivers support all USB ports, it's a standard. Specific chipset drivers are not needed for USB.
February 13, 2007 2:49:37 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar enough with the Sony laptops to give specifics, but all desktop Bioses I've encountered have an option to set the USB ports at "Highspeed" or "Fast" or similar such terminology. One is 12 Megabits per second (USB1.1) and the other is 400 or more (USB2). Even if USB1 is selected in bios Windows can think it's USB2. I only suggest this because the transfer speeds for the HDs you list EXACTLY match my experience with transferring files on a drive connected viaUSB1.

Forgive my ignorance, but do you know how I get into the BIOS to check if all ports are set to highspeed? I tried pressing "delete", "F1", "F2" during a restart, but nothing works - the PC just goes right back into XP.
February 13, 2007 3:00:06 AM

Quote:
Also, a quick thing to try would be to uninstall all the USB stuff from device manager and then reboot your computer. It sounds more like a hardware problem then a software problem to me but it's an easy thing to try.

Are you suggesting that I "uninstall" every controller and hub I listed above from under the USB header in the device manager? That sounds scary. Will my system re-recognize all the controllers and hubs when I restart?
February 13, 2007 3:05:20 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar enough with the Sony laptops to give specifics, but all desktop Bioses=.

Forgive my ignorance, but do you know how I get into the BIOS to check if all ports are set to highspeed? I tried pressing "delete", "F1", "F2" during a restart, but nothing works - the PC just goes right back into XP.

Well, I looked it up on Google for you, there's info on Sony Vaios all over the place; and consistently all the Faqs say to press "F2" when the Sony Logo appears at Boot. Since that matches the process in many proprietary systems I see no reason why that wouldn't be it.
February 13, 2007 3:31:04 AM

Quote:

Are you suggesting that I "uninstall" every controller and hub I listed above from under the USB header in the device manager? That sounds scary. Will my system re-recognize all the controllers and hubs when I restart?

It should detect and reinstall them no problem. Do you have a PS2 keyboard or mouse in case you have problems?
February 13, 2007 4:18:24 AM

i think its your mb try transfering to hd then to usb hard drive
February 13, 2007 12:28:29 PM

Quote:

It sounds like you have 3 pairs of USB ports, and that each pair is actually a USB hub? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense though. Have you checked with Sony about this problem? They might have an update, work-around, or disclaimer. And all of the other questions outstanding...

@Centurion
USB2.0 is 480mbps max which is 60MB/s. There are flash drives currently available that will do over 30MBps.

Sorry, I switch the speeds with firewire all the time. That being said, nothing ever gets close to the max spec most of the time (30MBps is only 240Mbps, 50% of the max).

Centurion
February 13, 2007 12:31:02 PM

Quote:
I double checked my numbers and you're absolutely right. Also, 1.5MB/s is fairly close to what he's getting and could indeed be the entire problem.

sorry centurion, my bad :oops: 

No, 480Mbps is correct as you said. Just the max throughput isn't ever close to it.

Centurion
February 13, 2007 12:41:08 PM

Quote:

8) I tried switching cables between the drives - the one drive connects hi-speed using the cable to the USB port, the other drive connects lo-speed using the same calbe to the same port.

9) I did not run any tests on another computer.

10) My PC is a VAIO PCV-RZ10C. It is a desktop, not a laptop.

I would try another system on the second drive. It is extremely fishy to have one do full speed and the other lo-speed. I would guess that the second enclosure has a problem in addition to the other issues you are having, but that can only be proved by finding another system with USB 2.0 ports. Does the second drive ALWAYS tell you you have a high-speed device hooked up to a low speed hub?

Sorry, can't be of much more help, I've exhausted my limited knowledge of troubleshooting options. The only other hing I can think of is that there is a shared IRQ problem, but I haven't heard of anyone having problems with those for quite awhile. If you can't get sony to fix it, do as another poster said and get a USB2 add on card, or one with both usb and firewire.

Centurion
February 13, 2007 6:33:29 PM

Quote:

> Universal Serial Bus controllers
----->SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
-----> USB 2.0 root Hub
-----> USB Mass Storage Device
-----> USB Root Hub
-----> USB Root Hub
-----> USB Root Hub

When I get the "Hi-Speed Device Attached to non-hi-speed hub" window, it lists my usb ports in the following manner (I have 6 total USB ports):

> SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
-----> USB Root Hub (6 ports)
-----------> Unused Port
-----------> Unused Port
-----------> Unused Port
-----------> Unused Port
-----------> Unused Port
-----------> Unused Port

Sounds like its a problem w/ the SiS7001 chip.
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/SiS%20USB%20Tips%20and%20T...
http://www.usbnews.com/news/sis_usb_2.htm

So you're saying that 1/2 the ports are 1.1 and the other half are 2.0, right?
You said that the results are the same every time. So does that mean you know that 3 ports are ALWAYS 2.0? and the other 3 are ALWAYS 1.1?

I can't be sure since I can't access SiS's website, but its sounding like the 7001 chip is a pretty old chip, so it might be somewhat buggy when they tried to move it to USB 2.0.

How old is your computer?
February 13, 2007 10:29:44 PM

Quote:
i think its your mb try transfering to hd then to usb hard drive

All the tests I ran transferred a 0.5GB file from the internal HD to my external HD.
February 13, 2007 10:33:24 PM

Thanks I'll check these sites out.

Quote:
So you're saying that 1/2 the ports are 1.1 and the other half are 2.0, right?

No all my 6 ports are USB 2.0. What I had said is, in the tests I ran with two of my three Western Digital external HDs, one drive connected hi-speed on 3 of the 6 ports and full-speed (USB 1.1 type speeds) on the other 3. The second drive connected full-speed on all 6 ports.

Quote:
You said that the results are the same every time. So does that mean you know that 3 ports are ALWAYS 2.0? and the other 3 are ALWAYS 1.1?

No the results above are always the same in the sense that the 1st HD connects hi-speed on 3 ports and lo on 3 ports. The 2nd HD connects full-speed on all 6 ports.

Quote:
I can't be sure since I can't access SiS's website, but its sounding like the 7001 chip is a pretty old chip, so it might be somewhat buggy when they tried to move it to USB 2.0.

How old is your computer?

It's about 7 years old, so yeah I could see how the chip could definitely be a problem here.
February 13, 2007 10:35:30 PM

Quote:
I would try another system on the second drive. It is extremely fishy to have one do full speed and the other lo-speed. I would guess that the second enclosure has a problem in addition to the other issues you are having, but that can only be proved by finding another system with USB 2.0 ports. Does the second drive ALWAYS tell you you have a high-speed device hooked up to a low speed hub?

Good suggestion - I tried the 2nd External HD (the one that always connects low-speed on my desktop) on a laptop. It connected hi-speed no problem. So it seems pretty clear the problem is not with the drives, it's with the desktop and its USB ports/and or chip.

Quote:
Sorry, can't be of much more help, I've exhausted my limited knowledge of troubleshooting options. The only other hing I can think of is that there is a shared IRQ problem, but I haven't heard of anyone having problems with those for quite awhile. If you can't get sony to fix it, do as another poster said and get a USB2 add on card, or one with both usb and firewire.

Centurion

Thanks for trying - I appreciate it very much.[/quote]
February 13, 2007 10:42:05 PM

Quote:

Well I tried this, and the USB controllers/hubs reinstalled when I rebooted. Unfortunately though, it didn't fix anything.

I've called Sony and they suggested I install SP1, as someone else has suggested. I've already got SP2 installed, so I'm not sure how this will help, but at this point I'll try anything.[/quote]
February 13, 2007 10:50:24 PM

I checked these site references out, and boy are they an eye-opener! My USB controllers are listed as "SiS 7001...", so I assume that means my chipset is 7001 - the SiS chipset that these sites say act crazy in Windows XP!!! All arrows are now pointing at the chipset.

I'm going to try some of the suggestions in the first reference above. If that doesn't work, then I think I'm at the point of needing a USB card.
February 14, 2007 3:56:01 AM

Yeah, looking at those sites, I'd just bite the bullet and get a 4 port USB 2.0 card and save myself the troubleshooting circus. Its like... 10, 15 bucks?
February 15, 2007 2:07:36 PM

OK here's my wrap-up message to this stream:

I talked to a Sony online rep, and he suggested (as the usbman site does) to uninstall all USB controllers & hubs in safe mode, & then reinstall them. I might try this, all though I'm pretty convinced it's the SiS 7001 chipset, and probably nothing will fix the issue short of buying a USB card.

But the silver lining for now is: 1 of my 3 externals is recognized by the VAIO desktop at USB 2.0 on 3 of the 6 USB ports (who knows why only this drive, but I won't argue with a good thing!). I'm using this one for my primary data store, so I'll get good speeds when I do video editing and such. The other 2 drives I'm using for backup and offsite storage. Now on my laptop that I use for work, All 3 of the external HDs work at USB 2.0, so whenever I need to do big transfers, I can just use the laptop. So I've got workarounds for now, until I choose to install a USB card (or possibly buy a new PC!).

Anyway thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate it.
!