ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Intel 45nm shrink in 1H07

Last week rumors abounded that Penryn would be delayed to Q1 2008. Now we have a rumor that Intel is trying to pull it in to Q2 2007! I don't believe it myself but wow that would be a rabbit out of the hat if true. If I could get a $400 Penryn w/ 6 MB L2 and SSE4 up to 3.8 GHz on air, I think I'll go ahead and replace my E6600 even though I just bought it a few months ago!

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
oh..the_INQ. It is just another story to attract masses and make more traffic to their site. So far, the_INQ have stories about Penryn coming in Q2 2007, Q3 2007, Q4 2007, Q1 2008. So, what's next?

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
So, what's next?

Chris Farley made me believe that I could become a Chipendale dancer. I'm told he lost the competition, but I don't believe the person who told me. Lies, lalala, lies!

Penryn, I hear, will be on a non-LGA775 socket, possibly. Meaning that until they have that developed along with the chips, it could be a little bit.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
whenever they come, the_INQ is going to be right.
If any comes in Q3, then they are going to say: We told you that it will come in Q3 and post a L'INQ to their article :lol: :lol:

bonkers

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
...price cuts, deal with sun...

first they will only produce a small amount for the high end server market

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I'm not so sure whether to believe it or not... I mean, sure Intel can come up with something like Conroe, but to push 45nm this quick without causing problems with their fabs? Well, I'll just have to wait and see if Intel can bring Penryn within the first half. If I do see it, well nice one Intel, if not, its just another Inq rumour.... no biggie...

mpjesse

Splendid
Does anyone know how much time or effort it takes to switch equipment from 65nm to 45nm? Especially now that they're using high-k? Genuine question here. It seems like it'd be a lot of work.

Just curious because right now (or even Q2) seems like a bad time to switch. Retail sales are sky rocketing because of Vista. I doubt intel wants to risk CPU shortages...

Just a thought.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Whether or mot its for real, who can say. Its comming from the Inq, truly the electronic equivelent of the Enq.

As for what charlies saying

In talking with manufacturing people, we've learned this might not be as impossible as it seems. The 45 nanometre process was basically done and set in mid-2006. With the recipe set, it was just a matter of equipping the fabs and getting the tools in place. Shake them down, and hopefully you are in business.

The tools are the critical components, and they may or may not be done in time for Intel to pull the schedule in. The key to this is the critical lithography tools. At 45 nanometres, Intel is not changing litho tools to a large degree, it is going for two pass dry lithography using many of the same parts as it did at 65 nanometres.

If hes talking about the manufacturing tech only, (I assume he is) then yeah, this rings true. If hes talking about 45nm in general, then hes talking out of his arse as the tooling is nothing compared to the R&D.

That brings up the question of whether it make financial sense? You are pulling in 45 nanometres with the attendant expenses and losing quarter of the life of your 65 nanometre process. These are billion dollar footnotes, not trivial little things. Even if it can, Intel may choose not to for financial reasons.

This boarders on the assine. If the R&D on 45nm is done, and the tooling is in production, then the money is already spent. Drawing out the life cycle of 65nm to recoup the expenses of 65nm R&D makes very little sense when the yields of 45nm will provide higher income per wafer than 65nm will. If 45nm is ready to go. If not, then milking 65nm for everything its worth does make sence.

As always, what it comes down to is a whisper of a rumour, and Charlie is publishing crap as he imagines it in a venue where it is being presented as news. In other words Charlie dont know dick and 45nm gets here when it gets here, just like Barcelona and C2D.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Does anyone know how much time or effort it takes to switch equipment from 65nm to 45nm? Especially now that they're using high-k? Genuine question here. It seems like it'd be a lot of work.

Just curious because right now (or even Q2) seems like a bad time to switch. Retail sales are sky rocketing because of Vista. I doubt intel wants to risk CPU shortages...

Just a thought.

yea thats a good point, if they cant work around that, then there is almost no chance they can start producing the 45nm chips right now..

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Whether or mot its for real, who can say. Its comming from the Inq, truly the electronic equivelent of the Enq.

From what I've been seeing of them, I'd place them closer to the Weekly World News. You know, that magazine that has a vampire running against Hillary for the New York Senate race, the various elvis sightings, the world ending, etc.

Their accuracy sometimes seems to be equivalent. Makes me want to read up on them, rather then just the links provided here.

xChaoSx

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Although Inq has it faults, its still a good news site. It actually gives you opinions, unlike most other sites that just copy & paste news. Their opinions may not always be right or smart, but atleast they have one. They also do have some really interesting and amusing articles from time to time. Although some of there stuff may not be 100% accurate, they do have some insider info that sometimes is helpful and accurate. But its always easy to cut up sites because its the trendy thing to do.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Just a thought.

Depends on the toolset.

Some might be a very small tweak in the system, some might be almost entirely new toolsets by the time conversion is complete. As for the high-k toolsets, I don't even know what they are, or who makes them.

If you want an exact timeframe, I can't really give you one. It can be very hard work to convert from 65nm to 45nm.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
So, what's next?

Chris Farley made me believe that I could become a Chipendale dancer. I'm told he lost the competition, but I don't believe the person who told me. Lies, lalala, lies!

This has to be my favorite SNL skit of all time. I just watched it again on youtube and laughed just as hard as I did years ago. For those of you that never saw it, be prepared to roll in the floor if you click the link.

Chis Farley vs. Patrick Swayze

.... Sorry for going off topic.

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Jack, I didnt really realize the full importance of High-K you often refer to

One site I was reading calls it the biggest breakthrough in chip technology in 40 years.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/55441.html

It definitly sounds like something that cannot be rushed out the door on an Intel whim. As you and other posters have mentioned this feat would be a monumental achievment.

I dont see what the big rush is. We are still busy trying to upgrade to the last 'leap'.

Go Technology !!!

We are all fanbois or we wouldn't be here :wink:

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
This seems a bit agressive, I don't believe either.... however, booted first silicon, more or less a simple shrink with just a few architectural tweaks... the only question mark really is the 45 nm process really ready to go this early??

Not impossible, but likely improbable.... we will see an Intel 45 nm CPU before the end of 2007 that I am certain based on the observations so far... but Q2?? Hmmmmm.... this may take some wind out of the sails in route to Barcelona if it is true.

EDIT: Very odd.... I did not read Charlie's rant until after I posted, we said almost the same thing.... :)

Jack

In fact, only D1D can do the 45nm work now. By the end of 2008, there will be 3 Intel fabs (D1D at Orgean, Fab 28 at Israel, Fab 32 at Arizona) doing 45nm, though.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/manufacturing/manufacturing_at_a_glance.pdf

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
...price cuts, deal with sun...

first they will only produce a small amount for the high end server market

There are reasons why I don't like the inquirer, this is one of them.... if Intel did pull in to Q2 2007, then the normal 2 yr cycle has gone to 18 month. High-K is such a radical change --- I just don't see how this would allow the schedule to pull in this much, heck SOI was a tough material to develop into a working device, high-k is on that order.

Q3 launch is doable, Q4 is likely in my opinion, with real volume in Q1 08.

Jack

heheh his question of financial sense is the first thing that lept in my mind. If yous tart retooling this often can you even recoup the costs? I mean I assume that retooling with downtime is getting very expensive nowadays...

Not sure it makes sense to rush things as they obviousl have headroom @ 65nm with the Core2Duo. I hardly see a point in rushing to 45nm from a financial standpoint.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
heheh his question of financial sense is the first thing that lept in my mind. If yous tart retooling this often can you even recoup the costs? I mean I assume that retooling with downtime is getting very expensive nowadays...

Not sure it makes sense to rush things as they obviousl have headroom @ 65nm with the Core2Duo. I hardly see a point in rushing to 45nm from a financial standpoint.

With the same number of transistors, 45nm fabrication process can reduce the size of a die for about 50% (theoretical maximum) compared to 65nm process, which will lower the manufacturing cost and raise production if the yield was the same.

vipmohaned

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Well the last time Intel launched a processor beginning with a ( P ) , it was a mess , hoping nothing like that happens this time . :lol: