Bad PSU or Motherboard

Ciaran

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004
I've got an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe and a Seasonic S-12 600W PSU, both that I bought together around May last year.

Recently the computer has started powering off for no apparent reason. I get no error messages, no abnormal behaviour, and warnings at all. One second it's on, the next it's off.

The shutdowns appear to be completely random as well. I ran HotCPU Lite and Core Temp, just to see how the computer would handle it. HotCPU had barely begun running when the computer turned off. It wasn't overheating. However, when I turned the computer back on and started HotCPU again, the computer ran through several runs and was fine - and it didn't report any errors.

When I look in the motherboard BIOS to see the power rails, they all report to be stable.

Whenever the computer powers off, the box turns itself off but the light on my optical mouse, the motherboard light and the keyboard's Numlock light, are both still on.

I've used Linux and Windows and the same thing still happens, so it's not a software issue.

I doubt that it's the CPU or the RAM, because Windows still loads up fine and I get no BIOS errors. I think that it's either the motherboard or the PSU. Does anyone know which one it is?

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Did you check your cpu voltage for fluctuations? My A8R32-MVP Deluxe has given me voltage problems on a crappy and good motherboard.. jumps between 1.39 and 1.44... completely ignoring what I set it too in the bios.

Ciaran

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004
I checked the CPU voltage in CPU-Z. It does fluctuate, but I don't think that it ever went as high as 1.44V... but I'll double-check, and run Memtest in the meantime.

Actually, I think that I'll run Prime95 instead under Windows. I'd be able to log the temps, voltages, and any error messages that occur.