Admin password

David

I have stupidly forgotten the administrator password.
I'm running Win2000Pro and now need to format teh hard
drive but I am always asked for teh wretched
Administtrators Password. Seemed like a good idea when
teh kids were young, but now they are older I shan't be
making teh same mistake again. How can I get round teh
Password problem?

David wrote:

> I have stupidly forgotten the administrator password.
> I'm running Win2000Pro and now need to format teh hard
> drive but I am always asked for teh wretched
> Administtrators Password. Seemed like a good idea when
> teh kids were young, but now they are older I shan't be
> making teh same mistake again. How can I get round teh
> Password problem?
Hi

If you boot on the Windows 2000 CD, you can just delete the
partition where the old OS installation resides, and then
re-create/format it as part of the new OS installation. No
password is needed for this. Note: You will lose all data
on that partition.

If that is not an option:

You might try to reset the local Administrator
password with one of the methods mentioned here:

http://securityadmin.info/noframes/faqget.asp#password

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

2 things
to reset a lost password I use:
http://www.dmzs.com/ftproot/security/password/NTRecovery-DMZS.iso

burn the cd then boot to it.

second, to disable the boot time Authentication at boot time, use regedit and
set the autoadminlogon to 1 and set the defaultusername and defaultpassword fields accordingly.
The keys are located in:
\hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsnt\currentversion\winlogon\