what isnt working?!..checked mobo, cpu, ps..

Quiv22

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
well i have a 600w that i believed to have been the problem of my computer flicking on and off briefly every time i hit the power button. The 600w power supply i took out and just tested the computer with another power supply. The same thing happened! its ridiculous...any ideas? I've gotten a brand new motherboard and processor, so those aren't the issue..as far as i know.

here's my setup

CPU INTEL|C2D E6600 2.4G 775 4M R (CPU)
DVD BURN LITEON|SHW-160P6S-04 BK R (CD)
VGA EVGA 7950GT KO 512-P2-N637-AR R (Video Card)
PSU TT|W0103RU 600W RT (Power Supply)
SDCARD CREATIVE|SB0570 AUDIGY SE RT (Sound Card)
MB ASUS P5B-E P965 775 (Motherboard)
HD 320G|ST 7K 16M ATA100 ST3320620A (Hard drive)
thermaltake junior case (mid size)

PC_Side_Line

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
You should read all manuals very carefully.

One thing to watch out for is a polarity issue.
More specifically, the HDD light, and Power light terminals on the motherboard have extremely small lettering or abbreviations, usually in white.

What you are looking for in the white lettering is positive and negative.

a positive is usually a "+" plus sign. a negative is usually a dash.

Sometimes motherboard manuf's take a short cut to save space and only place a plus sign on the white lettering around the terminals.

There will also be power switch and reset switch terminals.

Its very important to get all the terminals perfectly oriented the 1st time u power on the motherboard! So read the manuals diagrams very carefully.

Some builders will say that there's no danger probably because they didn't take an electronics course, but only the engineer who built the board can tell you if there's a protection circuit built in to protect from blunders.

It always best to get it right the first time so you don't end up damaging your motherboard or power supply.

So inside your case, you will see very small colored wires with small black sockets on the ends.

It's important to know about whats common or ground and whats positive, this is called polarity of the wires in the case.

Your job is to match the polarity of the wires with the polarity on the motherboard.

A red wire is always positive, and black is always negative or common.

What if u have green and white wires? well usually green is common or negative, but it can also be positive and that all depends on your case wires. If you have no red or black wires and lots of green wires, for example :

green - white

orange - white

violet - white

for this situation, these 3 pairs, this means that white is common or ur negative ground because it appears most often.

the other colors will be the positive.

bighop

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Out of curiousity, I just RMA'd a P5B dlx because right after I started it up, there was a pop, everything worked fine for a while, couldn't find anything wrong, but then I realized the rear firewire didn't work. The first time I powered on, the polarity on the power light LED was reversed (not marked at all on the case wire), didn't realize that until later. It's possible that the reversed polarity on that little LED blew my firewire port clear across the board? Seems like there should be a big warning to double check those things if they can really cause that much damage....