Question about a possible scam

renbail

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hello,

I posted this almost a year ago and had no reply. Today, I gotten another e-mail asking me the same thing. So I came here to find out that my original question wasn't answered so I seek your wisdom once again.

I'm looking for a job working with computer hardware, possibility with repairing and assembling. I know the risks of using the site, Craig's List, to look for work. I know of the scams and I almost got scammed if I didn't had the computer knowledge back then.

Now, I think I have this person or group trying to scam me. I've sent my resume to 4 different ads asking more or less, the same thing:

Wanted - Computer Tech / Help Desk PC / Computer Hardware Technician / etc.

Each one of them baring different requirements. But what questions me is the fact that each of their e-mails I get (from a totally diffrent person) are the same. Word by word.

Hello

I will like to know if you can get this work done for me, I have 7 Pentium M HP laptops,Below is a list of work needed to be done on each PC.

1 Format Hard Drive
2 Install Win Xp with Service Pack 3
3 Install Microsoft Office Package
4 AVG Virus Software
5 Adobe Acrobat Reader

This type of response is a shady type of request. I never actually replied to them, but I'm just wondering.

I've tried re-searching for online scams that asks you about fixing 7 HP laptop computers and I saw none. So I still think this might be legit after all. But I didn't want to risk trying to send them something they might want, so I thought about the guys at Tom's Hardware and how helpful they were for giving me advice in building my PC. I thought, maybe they might know a thing or two about this 7 HP Laptop scam.

Your hunch is correct! It is definitely a scam!

As soon as they get you interested, the next thing will be a request fot you to send them a moderate amount of money to cover 'paperwork and processing' costs, or for a 'security deposit' purpose since they will have to ship you these computer parts for assembly. This will be the last you see of your money!

TRENDING THREADS