tallguy804

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I jhave to rebuild my machine so I thought I would put in a new motherboard and processor. I have chosen the ones below but wanted to know what others thought or if I was making some huge mistake.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Mainly i use the sysem for playing an online game. But nothing really heavy.

Thanks

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Change your Processor to a E4300(Allendale) instead of overpaying for a Full E6600(Conroe) and use the saved money for a better Graphic Card. A Crappy Card with a Good processor is a shot in your own foot, Better get a DX10(R600 or G80) and play your online games at full Graphic Options. If Gamers were really(actually) smart they would think of looking at what they game in([Graphic Card]which is usually the bottleneck to most games) not so much what they game with([CPU]As long as CPU isn't a bottleneck).

Change your Processor to a E4300(Allendale) instead of overpaying for a Full E6600(Conroe) and use the saved money for a better Graphic Card. A Crappy Card with a Good processor is a shot in your own foot, Better get a DX10(R600 or G80) and play your online games at full Graphic Options. If Gamers were really(actually) smart they would think of looking at what they game in([Graphic Card]which is usually the bottleneck to most games) not so much what they game with([CPU]As long as CPU isn't a bottleneck).
He is right about the E4300.

tallguy804

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks for all your help. I have never overclocked a processor before. I guess this is a stupid question but is it hard?

I have 1 meg of Ram... Geil pc3200 ddr400 cl+2.5-6-3-3 to be exact. Should I get more or better Ram to overclock?

I was thinking about going with the
ATI 100-437601 Radeon X1300PRO 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Ready Video Card

As my video card but it sounds like i should get something better. The privious poster mentioned i should get "DX10(R600 or G80)" but I couldn't find those cards with just that little bit of information. If anyone has any specific cards they would suggest i would appriciate it.

Thanks again

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
-That's 1 Gig of RAM (1024Mb) You have DDR RAM. NOT acceptable for this Motherboard.

-You would need DDR2, DDR is older technology replaced now ,thus DDR Memory you have wont work on your board. You need new DDR2 Overclocking-DualChannel ones.

-That's a very Disappointing card to go for considering how much money I've saved you by suggesting an E4300(Allendale)

-a G80(Code for Nvidia 8800GTS Dx10 Card) and R600(Code name for Upcoming ATI Dx10 Card)

:lol: You truly are clueless about hardware sir, your very confused.

tallguy804

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Wow.. and i was told that this board was friendly well i can see that at least one poster here is not. I am sorry that my skills in hardware are not up to your standards.

And quite frankly YOU have saved me no money, you only made a suggestion that i buy a chip that was cheaper than the one i was thinking about. To for YOU to save me the money YOU would have to be the one to actually set the price on the unit i buy which by the way I am still not settled on.

I guess i will continue asking for advise on another board where they don't insult the people asking for help or advise.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
:lol: Don't take me too seriously.
I'm not Insulting you.
I'm only Agreeing with you "not good with hardwware"
IM not Saving you money, only suggesting how you maybe able to save money, an E6600 is clearly overkill, especially when you say you Online game and not anything heavier that would Tax the system(Heavily). You'll find the E4300 more than Sufficient for anything you can throw at it.

This board is Friendly.

Of you ask at the appropriate time and are responded by the Elder Forum members.

I also am friendly. I guess you just found my way of advising a little "tough".

Well, i hope this is a little nicer. Otherwise ..Wow you must live in The Hawaii or something if you find Canadian(me) insulting :?