Folder Password Prompt

Is there anyway I can acces my network folder logged on
as another user and get a username and password prompt to
come up so I can secure the folder for just me?
2 answers Last reply
More about folder password prompt

    Hi Jerry,

    you can map network drive with other user name... e.g.

    net use x: \\server_name\share /user:domain\username password

    Replace x: with desired network drive letter
    Replace \\server_name\share with name of your server and share that you
    would like to access
    Replace domain\username with NetBIOS name of your domain and your "other"
    domain username
    Replace password with domain username's password

    Another option is to run Windows Explorer (not IE). Click on Tools > map
    network drive...
    Before you click OK (after you entered desired network path) click
    "Different User name"...

    I hope this helps,

    Mike

    "Jerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anyway I can acces my network folder logged on
    > as another user and get a username and password prompt to
    > come up so I can secure the folder for just me?

    To secure the folder just for you the share and ntfs permissions would need to be
    configured to have just your user account in the security/permission properties. Keep
    in mind however that the administrators of a computer can always give themselves
    permissions to any file/folder on the computer and can access the data. -- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418 -- the part for XP
    pro is about the same as for W2K

    "Jerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anyway I can acces my network folder logged on
    > as another user and get a username and password prompt to
    > come up so I can secure the folder for just me?

Security Microsoft Windows