Sign in with
Your question

Linux Router Firewall

Last response: in Networking
October 15, 2006 12:22:22 AM

Hello All,
Forgive me if I use incorrect terms. I am using a software routing/firewall program that I think is based on linux, but all I really know is that I burn it to a cd and boot it on an old machine and it turns my old computer (P2 400 mhz) into a router that I connect to my modem through one nic card, and to a link on another. My other comps then plug into this link. The program is ipcop. My question is are there any other programs like this that provide bandwith throttling based on ip address? I have tried clark connect but I cant seem to get a good download of it or somthing....any help would be appreciated!!

More about : linux router firewall

October 16, 2006 1:09:43 AM

ipcop has the abiltiy to give priority to certain types of traffic built in (if I remember right)

I've only played with ipcop and m0n0wall a little. ping Fred Weston if he doesn't pipe in...
October 16, 2006 3:07:21 AM

The built in bandwidth throttling with ip seems pretty limited, also I tried the QOS_NG mod for it and it didnt seem to function correctly, most likely my fault, but just the same if there was an easier solution, that would be great
October 16, 2006 11:03:18 AM

Try m0n0wall. It's the fastest router software I know of, but it's not for beginners.
!