Sign in with
Your question

YAY! New build ordered....now I need a suggestion!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems

Is this a nice system for the price? ($1200 or so)

Total: 3 votes

• Yes
  • 67 %
  • No
  • 34 %
February 11, 2007 1:19:40 AM

Hey guys, first time builder here. I just ordered all my new stuff from the Egg.
Here's what I got:

NZXT Apollo case
Gigabyte GA-965p-DS3 mobo
Sapphire x1950xt vid card
OCZ600GXS PSU
Geil 2gb pc-6400 mem
Intel e6300 1.86g proc
WD 250gb 7200rpm HD
Zalman VP900 GPU cooler
Vista Home Premium

It should arrive by the end of next week.

Here's my question: What is the best online "how to build a pc" guide I can use to help me assemble teh system?

More about : yay build ordered suggestion

February 11, 2007 2:44:19 AM

here is thg's guide

gl on the build, my suggestion...

2 shots vodka
1 shot lime

should take care of your anxiety before first build
February 11, 2007 2:53:23 AM

Quote:
Hey guys, first time builder here. I just ordered all my new stuff from the Egg.
Here's what I got:

NZXT Apollo case
Gigabyte GA-965p-DS3 mobo
Sapphire x1950xt vid card
OCZ600GXS PSU
Geil 2gb pc-6400 mem
Intel e6300 1.86g proc
WD 250gb 7200rpm HD
Zalman VP900 GPU cooler
Vista Home Premium

It should arrive by the end of next week.

Here's my question: What is the best online "how to build a pc" guide I can use to help me assemble teh system?

A few simple tips to combine with the THG building a PC guide.

These tips will save you HOURS of time.

First, make sure you bolt in the copper spacers in the case that keep the monitor in place. Also, make sure you put the following parts on the motherboard before you put it in: Processor, ram, processor heat-sink.

Don't put the videocard/PCI cards, power connections or the like in yet.

Also make sure you install the front panel, USB 2.0 and LED stuff with the motherboard outside next to the case. Those things are a pain for anyone but female midgets with tiny hands. Once you have the motherboard set up, processor/heatsink/ram installed, front panel wires hooked up and spacers in the case, you're good to go.

Most of it from that point on is just plugging things in the right hole, making sure things are fastened but not TOO tight, installing software and you're home free.
Related resources
February 11, 2007 3:24:42 AM

thanks for the tips so far gang!

Regarding tightening screws: I can understand not tightening them "too" tight for most things, but how tight should the screws holding the Zalman GPU cooler to the video card be? I think I read somewhere that they should be very tight....
February 11, 2007 3:27:35 AM

not too tight, you can damage the card
February 11, 2007 3:52:33 AM

Flat surface contact matters more than extremely tight screws. First, if there's an issue where the GPU cooler is being pulled another direction, you want it to come off easily.

Also, tightening the screws too much creates the possibility of damaging the video-card if you ever need to take it off to re-apply thermal compound.

"Nice and secure" is a far throw from "extremely virgin pickle jar lid tight".

Making sure the surfaces are 100% contact with the right thermal paste between them is far more important.
!