Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a good psu.

Last response: in Components
February 11, 2007 1:45:09 AM

Hi im a first time builder and all that matters too me is stabilty. I am looking for a psu that can power and oc this sytem:

C2D e4300@3-3.3ghz
2x80mm case fan, 1x120mm case fan.
gigabyte-s3 mobo
2gbs of corsair xms memory 4 modules(ddr2)
1x160gb hd
1xdvd rom drive
8300gs (dx10 card)
and possibly another drive...

P.s my budget is $70 max
thanks ;D

More about : good psu

February 11, 2007 3:55:55 AM

Unfortunatly most of those are out of my price range besides the few 28amp psus.

Quote:
Now chances are with the power needs of the 8300 you can get away with abour 32A on the combined +12v rails

When you say "combined +12v rails do you mean? Im sorry im not very educated in the PSU department. ;D

Thanks for your help mpilchfamily I really appreciate it. ;) 
Related resources
February 11, 2007 4:38:46 PM

I was thinking the power demands were a bit lower...

Quote:
eXtreme PSU calc"]System Type: Single Processor
Motherboard: Regular - Desktop
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2930 MHz Conroe
CPU Utilization (TDP): 100% TDP

SATA HDD: 2 HDDs

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive

Fans
Regular: 1 Fan 80mm; 1 Fan 120mm;

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

PSU Utilization: 100 %

Total: 171 Watts
[/url]

Went w/ the X6800 since I wasn't sure how much you want to oc. Combined with this:

Quote:
The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2"]nVidia Single Cards
---------------------------------

8800 GTX ________}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}|' 155W ^
8800 GTS ________}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}|' 115W ^
[/url]

Together that is 286w or ~24A in the absolute-worst-case-nearly-impossible-to-obtain +12v demand :wink:

Not sure you calc'd the hiper's power demand correctly - check out the hiper's label it shows 336w on both +12's so that's 28A max output. I usually put in an 80% safety / upgrade margin so thats 22~23A so that should work... However, it is over $88 shipped! ouch!

Check out the Antec TP3-550's label it has 42A (80% is 34A), and it's less than $90 shipped from securemart so that is a bigger bang-per-buck for an excellent quality psu. But it looks kind of bland, not as cool looking as the hiper 8)

Recently I have used this ePOWER ZU-550W (less than $64 shipped) when budget was the primary concern, it's rated for 38A but not sure I would push it that far. Would also work well for your requirements,
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2007 5:12:46 PM

Quote:

The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2"]nVidia Single Cards
---------------------------------

8800 GTX ________}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}|' 155W ^
8800 GTS ________}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}|' 115W ^
[/url]

The author of that post provided a link to an Anandtech article where he supposedly obtained those numbers from. While the article does provide power consumption of the entire system, it does not specify exactly how much power the GPU uses.
February 11, 2007 6:04:36 PM

Ive never heard of ePower before so I am hesistant to buy it. What would you recommend mpfilchfamily? Thanks ;D
February 11, 2007 8:17:40 PM

Yea apparently he just took the 40w difference under the prey benchmark. hwupgrade.com did a test and found a 50w difference using the sciencemark test.

Even if an exact wattage was found, YMMV since not all cards are created equal... check out anand's GeForce 8800 Roundup the wattage variance between their GTS floats between 33w and 57w, so maybe anand's 40w isn't so bad being smack in the middle :p 
February 13, 2007 5:39:44 PM

Quote:
Hi im a first time builder and all that matters too me is stabilty. I am looking for a psu that can power and oc this sytem:

C2D e4300@3-3.3ghz
2x80mm case fan, 1x120mm case fan.
gigabyte-s3 mobo
2gbs of corsair xms memory 4 modules(ddr2)
1x160gb hd
1xdvd rom drive
8300gs (dx10 card)
and possibly another drive...

P.s my budget is $70 max
thanks ;D

If all that matters to you is stability why are you OC'ing your CPU?

Just curious.
February 13, 2007 6:43:07 PM

Because I want more bang for my money? A large majority of people that OC at extreme levels often find stability, my oc is nothing huge therefore stabilty shouldnt be an issue. I do not plan however to OC right off the bat, rather when its necessary (further down the road). Does that answer your question? ;D
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2007 7:43:30 PM

Quote:
Yea apparently he just took the 40w difference under the prey benchmark. hwupgrade.com did a test and found a 50w difference using the sciencemark test.

Even if an exact wattage was found, YMMV since not all cards are created equal... check out anand's GeForce 8800 Roundup the wattage variance between their GTS floats between 33w and 57w, so maybe anand's 40w isn't so bad being smack in the middle :p 

Interesting, I didn't expect the difference to be as much as 50w. More like 30w - 40w.

I would say that in the Anandtech article the variance between the cards is really only 10w. Total power consumption with the Sparkle Calibre stands out at 301w because of the peltier cooling solution which uses more power than the typical fan.
February 13, 2007 8:46:01 PM

Here is the PSU that I have and it works great but with 700W I am not going to be really stressing it that much any time soon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

if you are looking for something a little cheaper then you can go with a lower wattage PSU like a 550W or a 500W and still be good.

here is another PSU that I would recommend

and again both companies make some that are lower wattage if you want to spend less money. the Xclio 450W is a really nice PSU but if you have highend GPU and CPU then you would probably want the 500 or 600W versions. OCZ also makes some good PSUs at good prices like this one.

the key is though make sure that you have enough power for all of your components and that on the multi 12V rail PSUs you have enough current to supply video card on one of them (if you read reviews you will find that some people seemed to have problems with video cards drawing too much current from the rail that it is connected to)
!