Permissions

Got an issue where weve got some data on a server that an application uses. Secured the data so its read only.
However staff are now copying the data from the server to their local machine and working on the local data. When I try to secure the server data so it can be copied the only way Ive found is to remove the Read extended attributes permission, but this then causes the application to be denied access when trying to open the file.
Is there a nice clean easy way to stop staff copying data from the Server.
Recommended tying down Workstations but the implications on the effects of other software having to write to local machines are huge and not feasible at the moment.

--
Thank God for Fridays!
1 answer Last reply

    Hi Brian,

    as long as users need Read Permissions on files there is no easys way to
    prevent this.

    One option would be to setup WRMS (Windows Rights Management Services).

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/rightsmgmt/default.mspx

    Mike

    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Got an issue where weve got some data on a server that an application
    uses. Secured the data so its read only.
    > However staff are now copying the data from the server to their local
    machine and working on the local data. When I try to secure the server data
    so it can be copied the only way Ive found is to remove the Read extended
    attributes permission, but this then causes the application to be denied
    access when trying to open the file.
    > Is there a nice clean easy way to stop staff copying data from the Server.
    > Recommended tying down Workstations but the implications on the effects of
    other software having to write to local machines are huge and not feasible
    at the moment.

    > --
    > Thank God for Fridays!

Servers Permissions Windows