Hard drive not booting

cripp

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
:evil: I have been working on computers for years. And this is the first time I run into this problem. I have a Western Digital 80 gig 7200 rpm IDE hard drive, set a master jumper with no slave. I have reformatted, installed XP Pro and still can't get it to boot. If the boot from CD, and no press any key, then it will go ahead and boot from the hard drive. When I try without a CD. It acts like it hangs at the boot loader.
I have tried FDISK /mbr and the ones in the recovery console. All the boot loader files are on the drive. Any ideas?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
If that 80g has a dark past history, that may be your problem. Any chance at all you were hit with a boot sector virus?

If so, reformatting won't kill it. It's still infected. The only way to get rid of it, is to perform a debug routine on cylinder 0.

I can post it. Let me know if you have a floppy drive.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
:evil: I have been working on computers for years. And this is the first time I run into this problem. I have a Western Digital 80 gig 7200 rpm IDE hard drive, set a master jumper with no slave. I have reformatted, installed XP Pro and still can't get it to boot. If the boot from CD, and no press any key, then it will go ahead and boot from the hard drive. When I try without a CD. It acts like it hangs at the boot loader.
I have tried FDISK /mbr and the ones in the recovery console. All the boot loader files are on the drive. Any ideas?
Remove the jumper completely. For some odd reason, WD drives don't like the jumper in, when they're the only drive on the channel. GL :)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
will a low freq format help it?or go to hard drive manu site and get tools to test...goodluck
Pulling the jumper is the least destructive solution to try(won't hurt anything), and as such, should be tried first. If that doesn't solve the problem(i think it will), then he should try other fixes. Reformatting, and FDISK didn't work, so it's gotta be problems seeing the drive...not anything wrong with the drive's internals.

rohb

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Hey guys i have a very similar problem.
I was installing fedora core and just as it was doing a HD scan it came back with "Input/Output on hda sector* 0" (* Sector/block) :(
I dont think i have a virus on it because ive been using the drive for ages until i got a new one that craped out, so i had to go back to the old one and when i did i got this problem.
Ive found a site with a how-to do a lo-format guide at: http://xxpyr8xx.tripod.com/loformat.htm
Do you think i should follow that? or could it be deeper?

Any reply would be great :)

Rohb