printer share permissions hampering use

I have a printer hanging off my WinXP Pro box.
The printer is shared.

I have another WinXP Pro box which can share the printer w/o problems.
I have three Win98SE laptops. Two can share the printer w/o problems.
The third (and most important) Win98SE laptop **cannot** get to the printer
*nor* any of the other shares I have on the "main" WinXP Pro box. For the
life of me, I cannot figure out what's going on. The three Win98SE laptops
are all set up the same.

When I got to my Network Neighborhood, I can see the "main" WinXP box, but I
cannot see a list of shares w/o getting a password prompt. I get the same
situation when I try to manually mount (via net use) the network printer.
(Same when I try to access any other share on the "main" XP box.)

No other machine has this problem! I am so confused.
Just so you know, I have "simple file sharing" turned off.
I need it turned off because I have some unique sharing issues regarding
Linux connectivity.
Also, the username/password on the Win98SE laptops is the same as the one on
the "main" WinXP Pro box. I had at one time thought that having user
names/passwords on the Win98SE laptops which were different from the WinXP
Pro box would cause problems. So ... I made it so they all match.

If anyone has any idea, that'd be great! Thanks.
- Liam
1 answer Last reply
More about printer share permissions hampering

    See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Liam Fry" <wtf@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I have a printer hanging off my WinXP Pro box.
    > The printer is shared.
    >
    > I have another WinXP Pro box which can share the printer w/o problems.
    > I have three Win98SE laptops. Two can share the printer w/o problems.
    > The third (and most important) Win98SE laptop **cannot** get to the
    > printer
    > *nor* any of the other shares I have on the "main" WinXP Pro box. For the
    > life of me, I cannot figure out what's going on. The three Win98SE
    > laptops
    > are all set up the same.
    >
    > When I got to my Network Neighborhood, I can see the "main" WinXP box, but
    > cannot see a list of shares w/o getting a password prompt. I get the same
    > situation when I try to manually mount (via net use) the network printer.
    > (Same when I try to access any other share on the "main" XP box.)
    >
    > No other machine has this problem! I am so confused.
    > Just so you know, I have "simple file sharing" turned off.
    > I need it turned off because I have some unique sharing issues regarding
    > Linux connectivity.
    > Also, the username/password on the Win98SE laptops is the same as the one
    > on
    > the "main" WinXP Pro box. I had at one time thought that having user
    > names/passwords on the Win98SE laptops which were different from the WinXP
    > Pro box would cause problems. So ... I made it so they all match.
    >
    > If anyone has any idea, that'd be great! Thanks.
    > - Liam

Laptops Printers Permissions Windows XP