So, E6400 + Zalman 9700 won't go over 2.6GHZ! PERIOD.

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Brand new computer, right? Just built it a few hours ago. Here's what I'm sporting:

E6400 with Zalman 9700 (lubed up with the ol' AS5)
ASUS P5B Deluxe with WiFi
2GB Dual Channel Corsair XMS 2 800
Windows Vista Ultimate

Alright, here's what I've tried so far...
FSB 333
Voltage around 1.37
PCI-E @ 100
Memory timings at 5-5-5-15

I can't remember the rest of the settings (and they're gone now), but I followed a text-based guide from this site. Actually, it's the one that's stickied on top.

Anyway, basically when I go any higher than 333 for my FSB, my computer starts sh*tting its pants all over the place. First off, if I simply go to 338, Windows Vista gives me a Blue Screen of Death when I try to log in. (This is possibly the first Blue Screen of Death recorded for Vista?)

I randomly tried going to 375, because I read that other people have had success with it. Well, not me. When I went that high, my computer wouldn't even boot. Hell, it wouldn't even post. In fact, all it would show me is plain black when I turned it on. Nothing else. Ever. (I had to take out my mobo battery to get it to turn on again. I've done this 4 times, after tinkering with various settings.)

Now, I designed my entire PC around the idea of overclocking, hence the e6400 + Zalman 9700. However, if I can't get it past 2.6GHZ, what's the use?

If anyone can help troubleshoot me, that'd just be fantastic.

~Dac

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Brand new computer, right? Just built it a few hours ago. Here's what I'm sporting:

E6400 with Zalman 9700 (lubed up with the ol' AS5)
ASUS P5B Deluxe with WiFi
2GB Dual Channel Corsair XMS 2 800
Windows Vista Ultimate

Alright, here's what I've tried so far...
FSB 333
Voltage around 1.37
PCI-E @ 100
Memory timings at 5-5-5-15

I can't remember the rest of the settings (and they're gone now), but I followed a text-based guide from this site. Actually, it's the one that's stickied on top.

Anyway, basically when I go any higher than 333 for my FSB, my computer starts sh*tting its pants all over the place. First off, if I simply go to 338, Windows Vista gives me a Blue Screen of Death when I try to log in. (This is possibly the first Blue Screen of Death recorded for Vista?)

I randomly tried going to 375, because I read that other people have had success with it. Well, not me. When I went that high, my computer wouldn't even boot. Hell, it wouldn't even post. In fact, all it would show me is plain black when I turned it on. Nothing else. Ever. (I had to take out my mobo battery to get it to turn on again. I've done this 4 times, after tinkering with various settings.)

Now, I designed my entire PC around the idea of overclocking, hence the e6400 + Zalman 9700. However, if I can't get it past 2.6GHZ, what's the use?

If anyone can help troubleshoot me, that'd just be fantastic.

~Dac
What kind of temps are you getting at stock speed? I have a feeling your heatsink isn't making good contact. If the temps are high, remove the HS, and look at the TIM to see if there's good contact. Try again, only more carefully, this time. GL :)

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004

Broken in using a stopwatch?

Dude, give it a day or two of heat cycling at least! Then start mucking around with OC'ing. A good way to break 'er in may be to read reviews, articles on OC'ing, etc. 8O

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I mean, yeah, I understand that I should let it settle in, but here I am, a day later, and it's still doing the same thing.

Oh, and as for temperatures? It's never gone over 34C. Right now it's idling at 28C. (It's not OC'ed)

Now, any suggestions? If anyone has overclocked their E6400 using an Asus P5B, can you post your stats?

Thanks,

~Dac

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Hi Dac,
Most OC probs are memory-related! If set in BIOS to DDR2-800 speed, you cannot OC :(
So I'm assuming your memory is set 1:1 which is DDR2-533 speed.
At this setting, when your FSB coreclock is increased to 333 your memory will run @ DDR2-667. Likewise, when your FSB is 400 your memory will hit DDR2-800 speed.
Recreational overclockers can therefore run 333 FSB with only PC2-5400 memory, while serious OCers will require PC2-6400 for their 400 FSB coreclock (giving them a 3.2GHz E6400 CPU).
I run 333FSB giving me 2.66GHz and my memory, running synchronously, therefore runs @ DDR2-667 (well below spec).
In this situation I can achieve tight 3,4,4,10 memory timings with a low 2.0V, and I'm happy :)
I will not increase my OC past 333 FSB because I am with all stock/default voltages - this is my definition of 100% 'free' OC.
Maybe you already know this stuff but I just wanted to say...
Regards

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
This is all news to me, so this is extremely valuable information for me. Let me post exactly what RAM I have so you can determine how high I can overclock, because I'm going to be very disappointed if I can't get over 2.6GHZ after buying a freaking Zalman 9700 and 700Watt Thermaltake PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034

So, I guess my ram is PC2 6400. I should be able to hit 3.2GHZ, then? Please? =P

I'm so new to this, and if you guys could provide more information, that'd be awesome.

~Dac

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
my ram is PC2 6400. I should be able to hit 3.2GHZ, then?
Yes. If your CPU and your motherboard are up to the task, your memory will support the 400 FSB coreclock, no problem.
Do this:
Set BIOS to 1:1 ratio (this describes FSB:memory).
Set FSB coreclock to 333MHz. Run CPU-Z and confirm 667DDR memory speed. Note the timings your memory is running at, and also the contents of your memory's SPD.
If 333FSB is giving you 667DDR, you are set 8)
Now, if you increase to say 366FSB your memory should come up 733DDR... see? You are locked in a synchronous 1:1 ratio.
I strongly recommend you do not go past 400 FSB coreclock :wink:
To go past 333FSB you will likely need to increase your mobo voltages - but once your memory situation is set, it will no longer be holding you back,
L8R