Don't want password prompt on startup

I searched and searched in the Knowledge Base, but it only
contains complicated network information that only
pertains to businesses. I just have a home computer. My
husband accidentally enabled password on startup and now
wants to disable it. Any idea how to do that?

Thanks,
Kristen
2 answers Last reply
More about password prompt startup

    You can set the keys for automatic logon

    *************WARNING***********
    Registry modification ahead
    Perform at your own risk
    **********************************
    Use Regedit.exe

    Traverse the Registry to:

    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

    Create the following keys if they do not exist:

    AutoAdminLogon = 1 ,Reg_SZ
    DefaultUserName = x ,Reg_SZ
    DefaultPassword = y ,Reg_SZ

    where the DefaultUserName is the Account you wish to have logged in
    and the Default Password is the Password for the Account.

    Dusty Harper
    Microsoft Corporation
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

    "Kristen" <cmrice@intrustcorp.com> wrote in message
    > I searched and searched in the Knowledge Base, but it only
    > contains complicated network information that only
    > pertains to businesses. I just have a home computer. My
    > husband accidentally enabled password on startup and now
    > wants to disable it. Any idea how to do that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kristen

    Follow the instructions in the KB article link below. I pasted the pertinent
    part. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234562

    Preventing the Password Prompt in a Non-Domain System
    1.. In Control Panel, double-click Users and Passwords.
    2.. Click to clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer check box.

    NOTE: This option does not appear on a system that is a member of a domain.
    3.. Click the Advanced tab.
    4.. Click to clear the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before logging on check
    box.

    "Kristen" <cmrice@intrustcorp.com> wrote in message
    > I searched and searched in the Knowledge Base, but it only
    > contains complicated network information that only
    > pertains to businesses. I just have a home computer. My
    > husband accidentally enabled password on startup and now
    > wants to disable it. Any idea how to do that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kristen

Security Microsoft Windows