password problem

hi, i'm facing a serious problem with my windows 2000 server. the problem is with the administrator password. yesterday the system become very slow, so i decided to restart the server. when the logon screen came i typed the administrator password. system was not accepting my password. the password is never changed since its installation. no one else access the sever except the IT department. server is proteceted with antivirus software and its updated with latest service packs . i feel its very strange problem. now the server is running ,but i'm not able to do the daily backups and routine maintanance. its not possible to access the system directories from workstations.there is no other local administrator. please help me to solve this strange problem as soon as possible .

I forgot my Windows logon password and can't log in. How do I reset it?
http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#password

--
******************************
Laura E. Hunter - MCSE, MCT, MVP

"suhailfazil" <suhailfazil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, i'm facing a serious problem with my windows 2000 server. the problem
> is with the administrator password. yesterday the system become very
> slow, so i decided to restart the server. when the logon screen came i
> typed the administrator password. system was not accepting my password.
> the password is never changed since its installation. no one else access
> the sever except the IT department. server is proteceted with antivirus
> software and its updated with latest service packs . i feel its very
> strange problem. now the server is running ,but i'm not able to do the
> daily backups and routine maintanance. its not possible to access the
> system directories from workstations.there is no other local
> administrator. please help me to solve this strange problem as soon as
> possible .

I have exactly the same problem and it started at about
the same time yours did. I do not believe anyone changed
the password for the administrator.

You can use the link Laura provided to reset the local administrators account to gain
administrator access to the server again. I also recommend that you enable auditing
of logon events and account management for that server which should show who changed
that password and when assuming the security log has not been erased which in itself
would leave an event in Event Viewer. Running [ net user administrator] will show the
time and date that the password was changed which may give a clue. I personally
consider such a computer compromised if you have no good explanation. Firewalls,
patch management, and virus protection do not insure that accounts can not be
compromised. The use of complex passwords, auditing of logon events, and implementing
an account lockout policy with a threshold of no less than ten attempts can go a long
ways to protect passwords. Passwords can be changed remotely by an attacker if
computer allows access for other users to file and print sharing, even if only
administrator shares are available. --- Steve