Sign in with
Your question

Help with bsod troubleshooting

Last response: in Windows 7
July 11, 2011 10:59:48 PM

hello all,

system: win 7 64, 3.2 gig AMD X4, 4GB RAM, gtx 275, antec neopower 650 psu, huge cpu cooler and decent case ventalation. problem seems to be there with or without the side door on.

been having trouble with BSOD's for a few monthes on my comp. comp seems fine for everyday browsing, etc, but whenever i am gaming with my rig, this problem manifests itself. some games seem to push it harder than others, for instance, lately i have played mass effect 2 all day long with an average of say one BSOD in a day. where with games like civ 5 or Rift, i will BSOD like every hour. i recieve all sorts of stop errors, not like the same one every time. i have seen a fair amoutn of IRQL not less than or equal and page fault in a non paged areas 50 stop codes. out of the ones i logged yesterday, i had an IRQL, OXOOOOO5O, 0X0000007E, and 0x0000001E respectivly. i started looking thru my minidumps yesterday with debugger, but dont know enough about what im looking at, to distinguish any pattern to the information. i downloaded bluesceen view, and that seems a bit easier to digest, i see its mentioning several things multiple times.

previous attempts at solving problem, all had no effect on bsods: swapped out videocards, swapped out RAM, ran memtest, updated every driver i could think of chipset/mb/vc etc., reloaded OS. i am going to test main drives today. as far as i can remember, this was not correlated to adding any new hardware.

problem allways manifests while gaming, 50% of the time, the game itself will lock, and i will have to task manager shut it down. maybe another 5 to 10% of the time, it will hard lock and i will have to reboot. the other 50% of the time, i get random BSODs, sometimes followed by a Black screen on reboot, the black screen persists thru windows login and then once the desktop comes up, it will show the screen. its pretty hit or miss, sometimes i can game for long periods (hours) no problem and other days its client crashes and bsod's every 10 to 15 mins. during everyday browsing, listening to music, youtube, etc, no problems, i never get bsods or shutdowns, seems directly tied to gaming/gaming stress.

thanks for any advice ahead of time, i will be happy to provide any more detailed info that i can, please let me know how i can help.

heres some of my dumps on bluescreen view.

More about : bsod troubleshooting

a b $ Windows 7
July 12, 2011 12:18:33 AM

BSOD are nearly always caused by either drivers (particularly video drivers) or memory problems. To eliminate the memory as being the cause of the problem download and run memtest86 and run overnight. Try updating your video drivers and if you have the latest drivers try installing the drivers that came with the graphics card.
July 12, 2011 2:54:03 AM

With so many different BSOD and not just the same over and over, usually indicate a hardware issue. Run memtest86 as suggested and if they returns no errors, I would suggest trying a different video card and testing your PSU for proper voltages.
Related resources
July 12, 2011 3:39:55 AM

i dont suspect memory as i have allready swapped out my ram for other good ram and bsod's persisted. have also run memtest with no errors. i have wondered about power supply possibly, whats the best way to test psu? thanks. have tried mulitple video drivers and have also swapped between 2 cards, my old one that i know was working and my brand new one, same results with either card so im not suspecting my videocard or vc drivers.
July 12, 2011 3:50:53 AM

You could pick up a power supply tester from your local electronics store or throw in a known good PSU, of equal or more watts, and see if the problem persists. It could be a bad PCIs slot as well.
a b $ Windows 7
July 12, 2011 10:04:45 AM

I too was thinking bad power supply when I looked at your error report; however you have to eliminate the basics first. As you have tried two graphics cards multiple drivers and tested the memory I think that the power supply should be the next suspect. (Always suspect the motherboard last as it is the most expensive component to change).
Power supply testers are a waste of money as they only give a go no go indication, substitution of the power supply is the ONLY reliable test.
July 12, 2011 1:37:45 PM

thanks guys, i only have a 450 watt available to throw in as a replacement, not sure if thats enough for my current system or not, may have to bite the bullet and upgrade. for shts n giggles i ran memtest b4 bedtime last nite and machine was bluescreened when i got up, so maybe i do have a problem with my ram or a dust bunny in a slot. i will try memtest again with one stick at a time. if you BSOD during memtest, is that a fairly good indicator of it being tied to RAM probs as i assume most of the load is on the RAM at that pt? (not any stress on VC or PSU correct?)

thanks for help guys
July 12, 2011 10:40:44 PM

pjmelect said:
I too was thinking bad power supply when I looked at your error report; however you have to eliminate the basics first. As you have tried two graphics cards multiple drivers and tested the memory I think that the power supply should be the next suspect. (Always suspect the motherboard last as it is the most expensive component to change).
Power supply testers are a waste of money as they only give a go no go indication, substitution of the power supply is the ONLY reliable test.

Not necessarily, I have a PSU tester with an LCD readout of all the voltages. It tells me what voltage each rail is operating at.
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 12:34:19 AM

Power supply testers tell you the voltage the supply rails are at, which is something that you can do with a multimeter when the power supply is connected to the computer. More importantly what they don’t tell you is the level of noise on the supply rails with a varying supply current nor do they load the supply rails like the computer. Because of this they are in my opinion pointless.
July 13, 2011 12:58:19 AM

I once posseded an Antec Neopower 650W and an Antec Earthwatts ~550W if I remember for the latter. These two were the only power supply I bought from Antec. Let me tell you that both have quit their duty quite quickly.

After a few days the earthwatts was making some very high frequency noise, leading to a no go in a few months. Changed it to a better quality Neopower unit and that one couldn't allow me to overclock even a bit, meaning I would get stuck at certain loads. Tried adding more stuff in the case and removing the maximum to modify loads and both wouldn't post at all. So I new I was going to have problems quickly. The unit made a big BOOM after a few months.

Since that I bought a Corsair HX-520W and I never had a single BSOD (Well yes I did when some pretty agressive overclocks were not THAT stable). I'm having this unit for more than 3 years now and I love it.

Oh an my brother had a very cheap psu, and when he changed it for more stability, he'd take a neopower 650W too and his computer has started, a few months ago, different BSOD like you get. We tried anything except for the psu and mobo. He didn't want to test it anymore since he knew it would cost another 150$ or more to buy a new mobo or another good power supply... Pretty sure this was cause by the power supply as I had bad luck with Antec units.

I will never buy an antec power supply ever, though I have an Antec case and it's great.

Like some guys told you, you should really try another power supply as these kinda strange and different BSODs may be related to the power supply.

Also if it was indeed the power supply the problem, I STRONGLY suggest you to reinstall Windows since it must have been a bit corrupted with all these crashes everyday for months.
July 13, 2011 7:20:16 PM

pjmelect said:
Power supply testers tell you the voltage the supply rails are at, which is something that you can do with a multimeter when the power supply is connected to the computer. More importantly what they don’t tell you is the level of noise on the supply rails with a varying supply current nor do they load the supply rails like the computer. Because of this they are in my opinion pointless.

Valid points.
!