Computer screwed - Hardware issue ?

Danneh

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Hello guys, I've revently run into some issue regarding my computer, it tends to freeze whenever I'm playing a game, or even sometimes looking on the internet.

Although the weird thing is - I can actually manage to have the computer running all night (showing desktop only) and it actually doesn't freeze .

I am not sure whether or not this is a hardware problem. - Help would be appreciated.

But I can tell you that this problem only accured to me recently, I've had this computer for almost a year. I tried to reinstall windows, and it is not a heat issue either.

Best regards.
Danneh

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Run Memtest86+. Sounds like you may have a bad stick of RAM.
Agree. All settings should be default, ie, not overclocked. If you get any errors from memtest running in standard mode, you've got a memory chip problem. If that checks out OK, you should post your complete system components.

Danneh

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Will do, even though I didn't do the test yet (due to the lack of a diskette). I still tried to switch my current block of RAM with another one - Still had the same issue though . But as I googled Memtest86+ I saw quotes etc. that matched my problem 100% .

I will get back to you when I did the test :].

Danneh

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Right, I did the test (ran it overnight) - But unfortunatly it never did a whole "pass" - It had suddenly stopped at about 67% (I couldn't use the commands either = Frozen). - Didn't show any "red" messages either .

Ill post my setup.

Intel Celeron 3,2 GHz
512 DDR2 Kingston
NVidia GeForce Galaxy 6600 GT
ASRock 775Dual-880Pro - Motherboard

Don't think I miss anything .

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
It sounds like a memory issue, or a memory controller on the MB. Are you running one stick of RAM or two? If two, try just one at a time. Then, try it in a different slot. Or, try borrowing a stick of RAM from a friend, and run it again. Post back.