Titan
First, the specs.

AMD 3500+ not overclocked
Corsair value 2x512 DDR-400
Seagate 7200.10 250GB hdd
ATI x1800XT not overclocked
Antec SP 450W PSU
Win2000 w/SP4 and all updates

I believe that takes care of the hardware, now onto the problem. I was trying to convert some .avi files to DVD this morning, and it caused the program to crash. It didn't blue screen, but said programname.exe generated errors and will be closed by windows. (popup box/window) This program has been on my machine for a long time. When I got home, I tried a different program, that failed also. While trying to figure out what is wrong, I quickly realised that ALL .avi files now fail to load on my computer. If you right click ANY .avi file on my computer, it causes explorer.exe to crash. (again, no BSOD) I was watching a movie last night with no problem. I haven't downloaded/installed anything that should cause this. I can't understand any of the logs that are created, and the event viewer only says that explorer.exe quit, and it had to be restarted.

The only thing I've done so far is uninstall divx, and reinstall. (no help btw...) If I open my media player(s), and manually open the file from that program, WPM quits, while divx player will open the file. Again, no new programs or updates have been installed. Adware came back clean, and hijackthis didn't show anything wierd. I'll run AVG tonight, but I'm sure this is a driver thing that I'm missing...

4745454b

Titan
Oh well, I couldn't wait...

I ran the klite package, and pretty much selected the defaults. It ran and I tried to play an .avi file without restarting. It worked. I'm happily watching my .avi files now, thank you.

chrispyski

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Be careful with the K-Lite codec pack...last time I installed it, HL2 didn't play well with it at all (a known issue with source engine I believe). Caused me all sorts of headaches untill I figured it out.

But then again, if you don't play that, its a great program.