Lost Administrator Privileges

Following Microsoft troubleshooting procedures I came to a
recommendation that read "disable rename administrators
account" Surely I did---it WAS my only admin. account.
Now I am stuck with only one option: "guest access"
Everything I had saved on my computer was under a
administrator account. How can I get access back to my
files after lossing administrator's priviliges? When I
look at users log from my guest acct. it
says "administrator disabled" Comments please.
3 answers Last reply
More about lost administrator privileges

    The built in administrator account can not be disabled from console logon in
    Windows 2000. You may have renamed a different account? Try running at the
    command prompt [ net users ] to see all the user accounts on the computer and
    [ net localgroup administrators ] to see the users in the administrators group
    and try to logon as one of those. [ net user username ] will show if an account
    is disabled. If you are still stuck, see the link below to a free downloadable
    program that you can use to boot your computer from an reset the administrator
    account password to blank/none. --- Steve

    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

    "CDavila" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Following Microsoft troubleshooting procedures I came to a
    > recommendation that read "disable rename administrators
    > account" Surely I did---it WAS my only admin. account.
    > Now I am stuck with only one option: "guest access"
    > Everything I had saved on my computer was under a
    > administrator account. How can I get access back to my
    > files after lossing administrator's priviliges? When I
    > look at users log from my guest acct. it
    > says "administrator disabled" Comments please.

    Hi,

    the right procedure would be. Rename built-in administrator account (to e.g.
    Bob). Create new account (one that does not have administrative privileges)
    and name it Administrator (logon name for this new account should be
    Administrator). Disable this newly created account.

    As Steve said, on Windows 2000 local administrator can't be disabled. Did
    you disable any other account?

    Mike

    CDavila wrote:

    > Following Microsoft troubleshooting procedures I came to a
    > recommendation that read "disable rename administrators
    > account" Surely I did---it WAS my only admin. account.
    > Now I am stuck with only one option: "guest access"
    > Everything I had saved on my computer was under a
    > administrator account. How can I get access back to my
    > files after lossing administrator's priviliges? When I
    > look at users log from my guest acct. it
    > says "administrator disabled" Comments please.
    Hi

    If this is Windows XP:

    Boot into Safe Mode and the Administrator user will be enabled again
    automatically (for that session).

    In Safe Mode, if you get an empty Welcome page, press Ctrl+Alt+Del
    *twice* to get the ordinary logon page and then fill in the user
    name Administrator.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Security Microsoft Windows