New GFX card (6800 or better)

Mr_PieChee

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
First off, hi to every1. just join, although i have been reading the site fro a gd yr now.

Anyway, i pre-ordered supreme comander a while bk, but have just found out that it will only play with a nvidia 6800 or better gfx card. seeing as my 5700 fx is a bit out dated now, i think its about time i got it upgraded.

i've been lookign thought the charts, and the cards that stand out to me are the 7600 gt and gs, and the 6800 GT. i'm not a big person for gfx, thats why i've left it so long to upgrade my card.

i'm off to uni next september/october, so it only needs to last till then realy, since i won't be playing much while i'm at uni. i want to spend as little as posible on the card while still getting alot of power for my money.

i've recently installed the 7600GT from my bro, and that is a nice card, but the extra £30-50 isn't realy wnat i'm looking for. looking at the frame rates on episode one and oblivion (both games i have, so relavent) the 6800 gt beats teh 7600GS, but its not in the best cards for you money article.

so which card out of these would you recomend for me? are there any otehr better options i havn't looked into?

ScunnyUK

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Hi,
I dont know about your mobo but the 7600gt is a great card, and if you got the 7600gs you would be able to clock it fairly simply to a stock 7600gt!

Mr_PieChee

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
you say the 7600GT is much faster, but i asked about teh 7600gs. its gets beaten in the fps on the chart. and yes i did read the best cards for your money, hence the referance to it

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
The 7600GT is usually cheaper than the 1650, and for just a bit more money the GT is a much better buy than the GS. If the GS is slower than the 6800 and the game wants atleast that, I wouldnt be too surprised if it ran like crap with a 7600GS.

ScunnyUK

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Hi,
With the problems Ive been having with my gfx Ive been checking out new cards all week, the cheapest 7600gt Ive seen(other than on ebay) is under £70 from dabs.com, check this-Dabs Value Card but it isnt clocked as high as a 'named' one such as Pny, Xfx or Bfg.
Also if you do use ebay theres this-Ebay Shop UK Suplies Which also isnt a named product, but is around £70 with postage,and you do get that Zalman cooler! The same shop has also got Galaxy 7600gs for about £55!
well been as scint as I am at the moment thats a couple of cards Ive been thinking of buying!!
Hope this helps Thanx Gaz!

Mr_PieChee

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
thats awesome, but the prob i've got is i'm still using agp, thats why i don't want to spend much on it. as soon as i get out of uni i'll get a awesome rig using pci-2 and a quad core. but dabs.com is the best place. i used to use ebuyer, but its just not as gd on price anymore