Suitable MOBO for Socket AM2 CPU with ATI graphics card

CraziLegs

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Hi

This will be my first ever build and I'm pretty nervous about the whole ordeal. Anway, I've finally settled on AMD Athlon 64, 4200+ Windsor processor and a MSI RX1900GT graphics card. Someone suggested a nForce570 without SLi (as I have no intention of ever using SLi or Crossfire).

My understanding is that the nForce MOBOs are made for Nvidia cards. Would it be detrimental to use a nForce with a ATI graphics card? Is there a brand of MOBOs that is made for use with Socket AM2 and ATI cards?

Thanks

lesterf1020

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
If you are not going to use sli or crossfire it does not matter which motherboard you use. Any card from any manufacturer will work fine. I use an sli board with an ati card with no problems.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
...My understanding is that the nForce MOBOs are made for Nvidia cards. Would it be detrimental to use a nForce with a ATI graphics card? Is there a brand of MOBOs that is made for use with Socket AM2 and ATI cards?
Oddly enough, because NVidia northbridge chipsets tend to perform better than ATI's, an ATI graphics card often runs faster on an Nvidia based motherboard. This really is an issue only for spec junkies though. Your single ATI card will work just fine in any PCI-E slotted motherboard. No worries...