Overclocking possible?

Piezack

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
I plan to buy these components (Cause I have hardly any cash :cry: )
E6300
Asus P5VD2-X Motherboard Link

with these old components:
6800GS XFXXXX (Whatever its called)
2x512 "Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200 • CL=4 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-533 • 1.8V • 64Meg x 64"Link
And this fan Link

My question is: Can I overclock it, or will it blow up in my face?

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I plan to buy these components (Cause I have hardly any cash :cry: )
E6300
Asus P5VD2-X Motherboard Link

with these old components:
6800GS XFXXXX (Whatever its called)
2x512 "Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200 • CL=4 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-533 • 1.8V • 64Meg x 64"Link
And this fan Link

My question is: Can I overclock it, or will it blow up in my face?

your processor is not a bad choice, it is a good overclocker, but you will need a motherboard that supports insane FSB speeds to really see how far you can push it. you may want to consider a e6400 tho, just to get a higher multiplier (a higher OC with a lower FSB).

dont get a 6800GS, they weren't bad cards, and they are still "ok" cards. but if your looking for an "ok" card, then don't waste your money on a 6800gs, a 7600(gs) will perform about the same for less, a 7600GT would beat it quite soundly. or you could wait a bit and see how the 8600's are really priced (i think i might get one myself).

dont get DDR533, you will not be able to go really far because you will need to raise the fsb alot to max out your overclock on that, and DDR533 will probably give out before then. get some DDR800, and you wont regret it. (try to get 2Gb of it to, 1 GB is ok, which is fine if thats what your going for, but 2GB will allow you to do anything you want (including running vista smoothly).

reading about this motherboard does not give me the the impression it is a great overclocker, one it doesnt have an intel or Nvidia chipset which means no crossfire/SLI. if you werent planning on doing that anyway, i still wouldnt go for it just because it has a via chipset. i would compare this to buying a mclaren f1, (your proc and ram) and putting the engine in a $200 beater. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=4oa&q=asus+p5dc-x++review&btnG=Search
that link should prove my point, if this motherboard had at least some usefulness to someone, it would have a review of sorts. it looks like its meant to fill the mass produced basic model niche.

as for the fan http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2033, educate yourself a bit, and browse around that site. you fan is on the high end of "ok" in that you could probably get away with a decent overclock on it.

i would answer your question with a no at this moment. your proc is a good choice, and your fan is not a bad one either. you should search for reveiws of socket 775 mobo's to find one that is good for overclocking, and make sure you get some ddr800.

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
With that mobo overclocking probably wont get you very far.

E4300 + Gigabyte DS3 or even S3 == cheap and very overclockable
This is probably the best mony can buy

Piezack

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
:p You probably didn't have any results for that mobo cause I spelt it's name wrong, thanks for all your help anyway.

For £250 I can get this motherboard and a E6600
Or I can get a better motherboard and an E6300 but as I cant get a RAM upgrade there's really no point

So I think I'll plump for the good processor and cheap mobo, that way I can always upgrade it later and sell the old parts on ebay

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
ok, i would still recommend the slower proc and better mobo, because you could still probably overclock either proc very far.

Piezack

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Oh, I thought the RAM would be a huge bottleneck

If I could get a Processor + Mobo combo for £200-250 that is overclockable that'd be very good

Considering I might be able to get another upgrade in a few months time, will it be better to get a Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro Ultimate
or a ram upgrade
as I primarily use my computer for games / photo editing / cddvd burning / transcoding videos (which takes frikken ages at the moment)