31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I run an Athlon 1.26 Mhz in a PC Chips M811 Motherboard with 512Mb of PC2100 DDR266 Memory.

My system seems to be slowing down. When I boot up, the Desktop Icons appear colourless, then the PC takes forever to colour them in one by one!

Is my CPU on the way out? Maybe My mobo or memory is dying!

Please help :D

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
I run an Athlon 1.26 Mhz in a PC Chips M811 Motherboard with 512Mb of PC2100 DDR266 Memory.

My system seems to be slowing down.

your system should have died at least 2 years ago. Get a custom built computer and give that computer you have now to some charity. get a tax writeoff plus make the kids happy with a computer :)

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Its still running, so thats a good sign...

Have you cleaned the dust bunnies out of it lately :?:

A freind and I open his computer one day and we found everything covered in a thick layer of dust, and who-knows-what.

We even found a taco chip inside the case ..... 8O no idea... he couldnt explain it either :roll: .... :lol:

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I didn't know what OS he was using but as it was a problem i encountered greatly on 98 I decided that was the OS. It happens on xp too but if your pc is fast enough it's no bother really.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006

A freind and I open his computer one day and we found everything covered in a thick layer of dust, and who-knows-what.

We even found a taco chip inside the case ..... 8O no idea... he couldnt explain it either :roll: .... :lol:

I think I got ya beat. A few years ago a friend was complaining that his PC was acting strangely. It would shut down randomly, etc. When I went to open it up, I almost barfed. He had a couple of slots open from the back of his case and his 2 year old kid was scooping poo out of his diaper and stuffing it in there. 8O

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006

I think I got ya beat. A few years ago a friend was complaining that his PC was acting strangely. It would shut down randomly, etc. When I went to open it up, I almost barfed. He had a couple of slots open from the back of his case and his 2 year old kid was scooping poo out of his diaper and stuffing it in there. 8O

Thats repulsive...and no one ever caught him doing that?? lol

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Thats repulsive...and no one ever caught him doing that?? lol

Nope. The Midtower case was underneath the desk and there was just enough room for a 2 year old to crawl behind it. His whole house smelled of babypoo, so the stink wasn't a dead giveaway either. All I can say is that just the thought of it is bringing up my lunch. :x

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
goodness, its actually kind of funny. I have these thoughts of this little kid with a hand full of poo squishing it into the fan of the computer. Did his computer overheat?? lol

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
goodness, its actually kind of funny. I have these thoughts of this little kid with a hand full of poo squishing it into the fan of the computer. Did his computer overheat?? lol

Actually he was stuffing it into the open PCI slots. Daddy had taken some of the covers off and hadn't replaced them. The solidified mess had caked onto about a third of the motherboard. UGH!

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I need to stop inquiring about it...this thing just keeps getting worse doesnt it lol

No, you haven't asked about the maggots yet. And the answer is yes... BARF!

Alright, im going to regret this but fill me in on the maggots..lol

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I need to stop inquiring about it...this thing just keeps getting worse doesnt it lol

It was ME who started this thread :D and I want to know why the desktop colours the Icons slowly! Enough with the Poo and Maggots! :twisted:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006

It was ME who started this thread :D and I want to know why the desktop colours the Icons slowly! Enough with the Poo and Maggots! :twisted:

1) Run a full virus and spyware scan
2) Download CCleaner and run it, both Cleaner and Issues
3) Check what processes are running and kill all the useless ones
4) Run Windows Memory Diagnostic
5) Change your CMOS battery
and
6) Make sure there is no poo or maggots on your motherboard! :lol:

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

My system seems to be slowing down.

your system should have died at least 2 years ago. Get a custom built computer and give that computer you have now to some charity. get a tax writeoff plus make the kids happy with a computer :)
Hey, I have a Celeron 333 system and it still rocks, not an aging sign.