Permissions revert to full accesss to everyone

Hi,

I'm really stumped here and any help is greatly appriciated.

My d:\ drive has permissions like this:

administrator -> full access
everyone -> read, list, execute

I have a mounted drive under d:\ (say, d:\www\test). That folder is
permissioned as full control for everyone. I don't get it. I went up
the dir tree and can't find that permission anywhere. I have no idea
where it got it from. I go up a level to the folder with the correct
permissioning and tell it to reset permissions on children - it looks
like it's doing something - but it's doesn't do a thing.

What gives?
6 answers Last reply
More about permissions revert full accesss everyone

    I don't know offhand why that happened but you can manually set permissions to what
    you want for that drive. If it shows it has inherited permissions, then select
    advanced and uncheck "inherit from parent... ". You will be prompted to remove or
    copy current permissions. I suggest you select copy and then apply. You should now
    have explicit permissions for that drive and you can configure them to your
    eeds. --- Steve

    "coolneo" <coolneo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm really stumped here and any help is greatly appriciated.
    >
    > My d:\ drive has permissions like this:
    >
    > administrator -> full access
    > everyone -> read, list, execute
    >
    > I have a mounted drive under d:\ (say, d:\www\test). That folder is
    > permissioned as full control for everyone. I don't get it. I went up
    > the dir tree and can't find that permission anywhere. I have no idea
    > where it got it from. I go up a level to the folder with the correct
    > permissioning and tell it to reset permissions on children - it looks
    > like it's doing something - but it's doesn't do a thing.
    >
    > What gives?

    Thanks, the problem with this is that I have hundreds of folders like
    this. It won't be pretty. Could it be that the mount point does not
    inherit permissions from parents?

    "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message news:<pehSc.283848$Oq2.236840@attbi_s52>...
    > I don't know offhand why that happened but you can manually set permissions to what
    > you want for that drive. If it shows it has inherited permissions, then select
    > advanced and uncheck "inherit from parent... ". You will be prompted to remove or
    > copy current permissions. I suggest you select copy and then apply. You should now
    > have explicit permissions for that drive and you can configure them to your
    > eeds. --- Steve
    >

    > "coolneo" <coolneo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm really stumped here and any help is greatly appriciated.
    > >
    > > My d:\ drive has permissions like this:
    > >
    > > administrator -> full access
    > > everyone -> read, list, execute
    > >
    > > I have a mounted drive under d:\ (say, d:\www\test). That folder is
    > > permissioned as full control for everyone. I don't get it. I went up
    > > the dir tree and can't find that permission anywhere. I have no idea
    > > where it got it from. I go up a level to the folder with the correct
    > > permissioning and tell it to reset permissions on children - it looks
    > > like it's doing something - but it's doesn't do a thing.
    > >
    > > What gives?

    Thanks, the problem with this is that I have hundreds of folders like
    this. It won't be pretty. Could it be that the mount point does not
    inherit permissions from parents?

    "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message news:<pehSc.283848$Oq2.236840@attbi_s52>...
    > I don't know offhand why that happened but you can manually set permissions to what
    > you want for that drive. If it shows it has inherited permissions, then select
    > advanced and uncheck "inherit from parent... ". You will be prompted to remove or
    > copy current permissions. I suggest you select copy and then apply. You should now
    > have explicit permissions for that drive and you can configure them to your
    > eeds. --- Steve
    >

    > "coolneo" <coolneo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm really stumped here and any help is greatly appriciated.
    > >
    > > My d:\ drive has permissions like this:
    > >
    > > administrator -> full access
    > > everyone -> read, list, execute
    > >
    > > I have a mounted drive under d:\ (say, d:\www\test). That folder is
    > > permissioned as full control for everyone. I don't get it. I went up
    > > the dir tree and can't find that permission anywhere. I have no idea
    > > where it got it from. I go up a level to the folder with the correct
    > > permissioning and tell it to reset permissions on children - it looks
    > > like it's doing something - but it's doesn't do a thing.
    > >
    > > What gives?

    Hmm. I have not used mounted drives much. I wonder if they get their permissions from
    the empty folder you mount them on. Since you have a lot of drives to set permissions
    on you may want to look at using the command line utilities of cacls, xcacls, or
    fileacl [free download]. For cacls or xcacls you can use the /e switch to modify
    existing permissions or use just /g to replace current permissions and you can list
    permissions for more than one group/user at a time. Fileacl is much more powerful if
    you need to do advanced file configuration. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318754

    > Thanks, the problem with this is that I have hundreds of folders like
    > this. It won't be pretty. Could it be that the mount point does not
    > inherit permissions from parents?
    >
    > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I don't know offhand why that happened but you can manually set permissions to
    what
    > > you want for that drive. If it shows it has inherited permissions, then select
    > > advanced and uncheck "inherit from parent... ". You will be prompted to remove or
    > > copy current permissions. I suggest you select copy and then apply. You should
    now
    > > have explicit permissions for that drive and you can configure them to your
    > > eeds. --- Steve
    > >

    > > "coolneo" <coolneo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I'm really stumped here and any help is greatly appriciated.
    > > >
    > > > My d:\ drive has permissions like this:
    > > >
    > > > administrator -> full access
    > > > everyone -> read, list, execute
    > > >
    > > > I have a mounted drive under d:\ (say, d:\www\test). That folder is
    > > > permissioned as full control for everyone. I don't get it. I went up
    > > > the dir tree and can't find that permission anywhere. I have no idea
    > > > where it got it from. I go up a level to the folder with the correct
    > > > permissioning and tell it to reset permissions on children - it looks
    > > > like it's doing something - but it's doesn't do a thing.
    > > >
    > > > What gives?

    There are two places to set permissions for mounted volumes (argh).
    The first is in the obvious place - and that's where I have been
    setting it. The second is under the "Advanced" option in the first
    properties tab. So dopey.

    "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message news:<LRxSc.290059$XM6.242025@attbi_s53>...
    > Hmm. I have not used mounted drives much. I wonder if they get their permissions from
    > the empty folder you mount them on. Since you have a lot of drives to set permissions
    > on you may want to look at using the command line utilities of cacls, xcacls, or
    > fileacl [free download]. For cacls or xcacls you can use the /e switch to modify
    > existing permissions or use just /g to replace current permissions and you can list
    > permissions for more than one group/user at a time. Fileacl is much more powerful if
    > you need to do advanced file configuration. --- Steve
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318754
    >
    > "coolneo" <coolneo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, the problem with this is that I have hundreds of folders like
    > > this. It won't be pretty. Could it be that the mount point does not
    > > inherit permissions from parents?
    > >
    > > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > I don't know offhand why that happened but you can manually set permissions to
    > what
    > > > you want for that drive. If it shows it has inherited permissions, then select
    > > > advanced and uncheck "inherit from parent... ". You will be prompted to remove or
    > > > copy current permissions. I suggest you select copy and then apply. You should
    > now
    > > > have explicit permissions for that drive and you can configure them to your
    > > > eeds. --- Steve
    > > >

    > > > "coolneo" <coolneo@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    Glad you figured it out. We all complicate our own lives some days. As long as it is
    not every day we should be fine. --- Steve

    > There are two places to set permissions for mounted volumes (argh).
    > The first is in the obvious place - and that's where I have been
    > setting it. The second is under the "Advanced" option in the first
    > properties tab. So dopey.
    >

    > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Hmm. I have not used mounted drives much. I wonder if they get their permissions
    from
    > > the empty folder you mount them on. Since you have a lot of drives to set
    permissions
    > > on you may want to look at using the command line utilities of cacls, xcacls, or
    > > fileacl [free download]. For cacls or xcacls you can use the /e switch to modify
    > > existing permissions or use just /g to replace current permissions and you can
    list
    > > permissions for more than one group/user at a time. Fileacl is much more powerful
    if
    > > you need to do advanced file configuration. --- Steve
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318754
    > >
    > > "coolneo" <coolneo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks, the problem with this is that I have hundreds of folders like
    > > > this. It won't be pretty. Could it be that the mount point does not
    > > > inherit permissions from parents?
    > > >
    > > > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > what
    > > now