Do the Henchmen have any personality?

As far as the official expansion pack campaigns go (SoU and HoU), do
the Henchman act more like they do in Baldur's Gate 1 or more like
Baldur's Gate 2 where they talk to you at various times? I prefer
soloing so I basically want to know what I am missing out on in not
taking a Henchman along. Thanks.

Mike S. wrote:
> As far as the official expansion pack campaigns go (SoU and HoU), do
> the Henchman act more like they do in Baldur's Gate 1 or more like
> Baldur's Gate 2 where they talk to you at various times? I prefer
> soloing so I basically want to know what I am missing out on in not
> taking a Henchman along. Thanks.

They each have a story of their own that you can talk to them about, and
the story is tied to a side quest where you help them find lost items.
But no, they don't talk to you on their own like in BG.

I prefer soloing too, but it's not so bad to have a single henchman with
you. Or, if you insist on doing it alone, just talk to them all in turn
and get their quests, but then have them not follow you along.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:32:44 -0400, John Salerno
<johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>They each have a story of their own that you can talk to them about, and
>the story is tied to a side quest where you help them find lost items.
>But no, they don't talk to you on their own like in BG.
>
>I prefer soloing too, but it's not so bad to have a single henchman with
>you. Or, if you insist on doing it alone, just talk to them all in turn
>and get their quests, but then have them not follow you along.

Ok this is the expansion packs you are talking about right? What you
said here describes the original campaign and that is exactly what I
did there. I got their stories, got their item, then dumped them. The
expansion packs work the same way then?

Mike S. wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:32:44 -0400, John Salerno
> <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>

>>They each have a story of their own that you can talk to them about, and
>>the story is tied to a side quest where you help them find lost items.
>>But no, they don't talk to you on their own like in BG.
>>
>>I prefer soloing too, but it's not so bad to have a single henchman with
>>you. Or, if you insist on doing it alone, just talk to them all in turn
>>and get their quests, but then have them not follow you along.
>

> Ok this is the expansion packs you are talking about right? What you
> said here describes the original campaign and that is exactly what I
> did there. I got their stories, got their item, then dumped them. The
> expansion packs work the same way then?

Ah sorry, I was talking about the OC and didn't realize you were asking
about the expansions. You can probably do Shadows alone, but as was
said, Deekin is cool.

For Hordes, you'll probably *need* the extra help.

Vellu

Mike S. kirjoitti:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:32:44 -0400, John Salerno
> <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>

>>They each have a story of their own that you can talk to them about, and
>>the story is tied to a side quest where you help them find lost items.
>>But no, they don't talk to you on their own like in BG.
>>
>>I prefer soloing too, but it's not so bad to have a single henchman with
>>you. Or, if you insist on doing it alone, just talk to them all in turn
>>and get their quests, but then have them not follow you along.
>

> Ok this is the expansion packs you are talking about right? What you
> said here describes the original campaign and that is exactly what I
> did there. I got their stories, got their item, then dumped them. The
> expansion packs work the same way then?

On the expansions, especially HOTU, the henchmen have lots of
personality and they occasionally do talk to you on their own.
Particularly Deekin in HOTU is magnificent. Funny as hell.

They don't have side quests though, as in OC. On the other hand you have
control over their inventory so they play more like BG characters (you
need to upgrade their weapons and armor to keep them "strong" enough).

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:53:59 +0300, vellu <velimala@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On the expansions, especially HOTU, the henchmen have lots of
>personality and they occasionally do talk to you on their own.
>Particularly Deekin in HOTU is magnificent. Funny as hell.

That settles it then. I will take one along. Probably Deekin if my
first character can use his skills. Thank you.

Mike S. wrote:
> As far as the official expansion pack campaigns go (SoU and HoU), do
> the Henchman act more like they do in Baldur's Gate 1 or more like
> Baldur's Gate 2 where they talk to you at various times? I prefer
> soloing so I basically want to know what I am missing out on in not
> taking a Henchman along. Thanks.
Deekin has a ton of pesonality and is more like the BG npcs

KhARSIS

Vellu

> Ah sorry, I was talking about the OC and didn't realize you were asking
> about the expansions. You can probably do Shadows alone, but as was
> said, Deekin is cool.
>
> For Hordes, you'll probably *need* the extra help.

True, SoU isn't that difficult. HotU on the other hand is...(you face
the first dragon about five minutes in to the game...heh)

> That settles it then. I will take one along. Probably Deekin if my
> first character can use his skills. Thank you.

In HotU you can have two henchmen at the same time, and if you liked the
romances in BG, you should check out others than just Deekin. Deekin is a
fun (and strong as RDD) pet dog, but that's it. I actually ditched him for
Valen and Nathyrra once those two were available. Never mind the OC
henchmen, they won't follow you far anyway. You might want to take one of
them along together with Deekin, as far as it can go, but then it's certain
byebye.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:45:06 -0400, John Salerno
<johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>Ah sorry, I was talking about the OC and didn't realize you were asking
>about the expansions.

No problem.

>For Hordes, you'll probably *need* the extra help.

Actually that's a good point. The OC was soloable just fine. Not sure
about the expansion campaigns. Does not matter really as I am going to
take a Henchman. I just hope they don't die a lot. That is the primary
reason I went solo in the OC. Keeping them alive was harder then just
going alone.

"vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On the expansions, especially HOTU, the henchmen have lots of personality
> and they occasionally do talk to you on their own. Particularly Deekin in
> HOTU is magnificent. Funny as hell.

Oh yeah... Get that half-orc barbarian guy into the party at the same time,
and he'll tear into Deekin a bit. Kinda funny to listen to, actually.

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

> Ah sorry, I was talking about the OC and didn't realize you were asking
> about the expansions. You can probably do Shadows alone, but as was said,
> Deekin is cool.

I'm playing SoU through again right now to build up a character for HotU
(gotta love the acronyms), and although the game's easy enough to go through
solo, by ranger/druid seems to benefit from having the dwarf cleric/rogue
along to turn undead and deal with traps.

Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:53:59 +0300, vellu <velimala@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On the expansions, especially HOTU, the henchmen have lots of
>>personality and they occasionally do talk to you on their own.
>>Particularly Deekin in HOTU is magnificent. Funny as hell.
>
>That settles it then. I will take one along. Probably Deekin if my
>first character can use his skills. Thank you.

Even if you can't use his skills, he's still really the ONLY henchman
worth taking in SoU - the other two have the personalities of wet
dishrags. Still an improvement from the wet _cardboard_ dishrags of
the OC henchmen.

Deekin makes for a great, funny sidekick, even just for comedy value.

While he's good in HotU, he lost something on the way (not to mention a
different voice actor), so he's not _quite_ as funny.

Xocyll

> Actually that's a good point. The OC was soloable just fine. Not sure
> about the expansion campaigns. Does not matter really as I am going to
> take a Henchman. I just hope they don't die a lot. That is the primary
> reason I went solo in the OC. Keeping them alive was harder then just
> going alone.

Tony K.'s henchman and battle AI mod helps there....a lot. In SoU and HotU
you can adjust the henchman equipment anyway. The mod adds that for the OC
too. With proper equipment and weapon switching the henchmen become a real
help.

Paul Fedorenko wrote:
> "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>On the expansions, especially HOTU, the henchmen have lots of personality
>>and they occasionally do talk to you on their own. Particularly Deekin in
>>HOTU is magnificent. Funny as hell.
>

> Oh yeah... Get that half-orc barbarian guy into the party at the same time,
> and he'll tear into Deekin a bit. Kinda funny to listen to, actually.

Oh lord, I can do without him! :)

John Salerno wrote:
> Paul Fedorenko wrote:
>> "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> On the expansions, especially HOTU, the henchmen have lots of
>>> personality and they occasionally do talk to you on their own.
>>> Particularly Deekin in HOTU is magnificent. Funny as hell.
>> Oh yeah... Get that half-orc barbarian guy into the party at the same
>> time, and he'll tear into Deekin a bit. Kinda funny to listen to,
>> actually.
>>

> Oh lord, I can do without him! :)

Deekin gives me Jar-Jar Binks flashbacks. I'd rather murder him than have him by my side.

--
"Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."
- Tip from Doom3 Manual

everlast wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>Paul Fedorenko wrote:

>>>Oh yeah... Get that half-orc barbarian guy into the party at the same
>>>time, and he'll tear into Deekin a bit. Kinda funny to listen to,
>>>actually.
>>>

>>Oh lord, I can do without him! :)
>

> Deekin gives me Jar-Jar Binks flashbacks. I'd rather murder him than have him by my side.

I meant the half-orc, but I didn't stick with Deekin either. He didn't
seem to be too ideal for handling the trouble that came up later in the
game (HotU).

John Salerno wrote:
> I didn't stick with Deekin either. He didn't
> seem to be too ideal for handling the trouble that came up later in the
> game (HotU).

I kept Deekin my second go-round in HotU, after I read that <WARNING
-Major Spoiler Below!>

Spoiler Space
*
*
*
*
Spoiler Space
*
*
*
*
Spoiler Space
*
*
*
*
He's the only one that does not have a chance of being lured to the
Dark Side at the end (assuming you haven't been abusing him all along).
With the proper gear, he held his own throughout, and he got a few
chuckles from me since I started playing with the sound on :)
I was pretty annoyed that Aribeth was so wishy-washy.

<alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> John Salerno wrote:
> > I didn't stick with Deekin either. He didn't
> > seem to be too ideal for handling the trouble that came up later in the
> > game (HotU).
>
> I kept Deekin my second go-round in HotU, after I read that <WARNING
> -Major Spoiler Below!>
>
> Spoiler Space
> *
> *
> *
> *
> Spoiler Space
> *
> *
> *
> *
> Spoiler Space
> *
> *
> *
> *
> He's the only one that does not have a chance of being lured to the
> Dark Side at the end (assuming you haven't been abusing him all along).
> With the proper gear, he held his own throughout, and he got a few
> chuckles from me since I started playing with the sound on :)
> I was pretty annoyed that Aribeth was so wishy-washy.

Yes, the walkthrough on GameBanshee described him as 'my little toady'. I
thought it was pretty funny. I like Deekin though.

Best wishes
maxon

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:05:16 -0400, John Salerno
<johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>I meant the half-orc, but I didn't stick with Deekin either. He didn't
>seem to be too ideal for handling the trouble that came up later in the
>game (HotU).

What class is Deekin? He isn't available to me yet so I have no idea.
I have the dwarf girl Dorna now leveling in Rogue.

I am glad I took a Henchman. She does talk, not only to me directly,
but she comments on things happening around us which I like.

Mike S. wrote:
> What class is Deekin?

**SPOILERS for SoU and HotU**

In SoU, Deekin is a bard. In HotU, he's a bard/Red Dragon Disciple,
though you can control whether or not he continues leveling in one or
the other or balances the levels.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:44:12 -0400, Barry Scott Will
<nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote:

>In SoU, Deekin is a bard.

Funny thing is, he kept telling me bardy kinda things like writing a
story/song about my adventure, but I still never made the connection
that he was, in fact, a bard. Probably because he is a kobold. :p

alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>I didn't stick with Deekin either. He didn't
>>seem to be too ideal for handling the trouble that came up later in the
>>game (HotU).
>

> I kept Deekin my second go-round in HotU, after I read that <WARNING
> -Major Spoiler Below!>
>
> Spoiler Space
> *
> *
> *
> *
> Spoiler Space
> *
> *
> *
> *
> Spoiler Space
> *
> *
> *
> *
> He's the only one that does not have a chance of being lured to the
> Dark Side at the end (assuming you haven't been abusing him all along).
> With the proper gear, he held his own throughout, and he got a few
> chuckles from me since I started playing with the sound on :)
> I was pretty annoyed that Aribeth was so wishy-washy.

Ugh, I know. I had Aribeth and the tiefling, but neither one of them
would stick with me, and I tried several times. Eventually I just took
on Meph myself.