Best Wireless adapters for a Traveling Laptop?

maliszewski

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I have a laptop Dell Inspiron 5150 that does not have a built-in wireless adapter. I need to purchase either a USB or PCMCIA adapter. Is there a generally accepted "best" wireless adapter out there? All I need is 802.11g. I most important thing is I need it to be compatible with many wireless routers because I travel a lot and need to connect with whatever router the hotel is using. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I did purchase a Belkin USB 802.11g wireless adapter, but it is so erratic it only connects every other time with numerous routers and it can be very frustrating. I would just like an adapter that connects the first time and stays connected the way it is supposed to.

-Mark

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Any 802.11g should connect without problems to any 082.11b or 11g router. If you need to connect in a broad range of troublesome situations, I would suggest a card with a connector for an external antenna, and then buy a small high gain antenna to attach when needed.

Other than that generic suggestion, I have no particular brand to recommend.

maliszewski

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Any 802.11g should connect without problems to any 082.11b or 11g router. If you need to connect in a broad range of troublesome situations, I would suggest a card with a connector for an external antenna, and then buy a small high gain antenna to attach when needed.

Other than that generic suggestion, I have no particular brand to recommend.
I know that 802.11g devices should connect to any device that is 802.11g certified, but you know how in reality sometimes things don't interoperate as well as they should :) Thank you for responding to my question, I appreciate it.

-Mark