[SOLVED] USB3 to 40 ft Cat6 extension to USB3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

You're still not explaining the details that well, but:

You've only just now mentioned the Oppo BDP-105, so I'm guessing you are putting videos on an external hard drive to STREAM to your Oppo?

I can help with that, however:
What equipment do you already own for that?

As I said before, the WD Live Duo is a pretty good device but again, I don't know what hardware you already have. Points on the WD Duo:
- up to 120MB/sec...

Gundy

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I never did this with USB3, but I did it with USB2.

In my experience, you lose a lot of speed if you use cheap, unpowered converters. If you spend a good amount of money on some powered converters that have really translation logic inside, then you might be OK. But the pair of USB to CAT converters you get for $20 on Amazon work only for the most basic of tasks.

For context, I ran a USB webcam through a 50 ft CAT5 cable using a pair of $15 converters. It worked, but only at lower resolutions. The data transfer rate was closer to USB1.1 than 2.0.

Why are you doing this?
Do you have a noisy RAID setup that you want to store in another room?

An alternative is to use something like the WD Live Duo. These drives are designed for Ethernet whereas the USB3 solution will only work with the attached computer.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/network/networkstorage/

For maximum speed (up to 120MB/second roughly) with the WD Live Duo:
1) set to RAID0 (RAID1 is for redundancy so half speed and half capacity)
2) use CAT6 ethernet cabling
3) use a Gigabit ROUTER.

rr999999999

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
I could do it 2-ways, keep the out-board drive in one room near the computer or with the BDP-105 DVR-A/V 40 ft away in the other room. Since the high speed is for update, near the computer is best. Now getting it to the DVR-A/V will be the problem. I could use USB with repeaters, but that might be expensive,

You're still not explaining the details that well, but:

You've only just now mentioned the Oppo BDP-105, so I'm guessing you are putting videos on an external hard drive to STREAM to your Oppo?

I can help with that, however:
What equipment do you already own for that?

As I said before, the WD Live Duo is a pretty good device but again, I don't know what hardware you already have. Points on the WD Duo:
- up to 120MB/sec via CAT6 and Gigabit Router
- wireless (speed varies on distance/obstacles/router. I can stream BluRay movies).
- Always on.
- Standby uses only 5 Watts.

I assume by "update speed" you mean copying videos from your computer to the external hard drive. Since that wouldn't be very often and you can just do it in the background, even Wi-Fi would be adequate. At 7MB/second, an 8GB file would take 20 minutes.

*I still don't understand exactly how this is to interface with the Oppo. You mention USB but not the type of external drive so it's hard to help.

Solution

rr999999999

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Drive "Seagate (STCB3000900)" for Music

rr999999999

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

The DVD Player could go directly to the drive displaying the selection on the TV or It would go to the computer first before it displayed the selection on the screen. Could you tell me more about what your choice would be?

I'm to lazy to read the player manual, but it should be able to read the files from a shared network folder on your PC or play files via a DLNA server. For the network drive, you simply connect the HDD to your PC, right click on it in explorer and goto the sharing option. For the DLNA feature consult the Windows Media Player 11 help. It has a build in DLNA server. Only downside of it: your PC has to run. If you have a router, that supports network drives, you can connected the HDD to it also. The router manual tells you more.

rr999999999

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
The Player has a network port, so why don't you connect it to your network or directly to your pc with the cat6 cable and share the disk on the pc?[/quotemsg]

I'm not at the computer, I'm in the living room. I IR the Player in my bedroom room, which tells the computer in another room to play a selection from the remote drive. I also can view selections on the TV. Is that what you mean by using a network port?

I'm not at the computer, I'm in the living room. I IR the Player in my bedroom room, which tells the computer in another room to play a selection from the remote drive. I also can view selections on the TV. Is that what you mean by using a network port?[/quotemsg]

No.
There are hard drive devices like the WD Duo I mentioned that can connect to your HOME NETWORK and are "always on". Your ROUTER allows all these devices to talk to each other.

For example, with the WD Duo (again, always on) you could set it up to work with your Oppo. You'd basically use your Oppo remote and navigate to the Music or Videos stored on the WD Duo and play them.

USB Drive:
A USB drive can only work when attached to a computer. It would still work the way I discussed above, however you'd require both the computer and the USB drive to be on which is not ideal. Unless your OPPO can hook directly to your USB hard drive (I didn't think so) using that USB drive in the manner you wish isn't the best idea.

*I recommend one of two things:
1) Buy a NETWORKED drive that is DLNA compatible
2) Buy a WDTV LIVE or similar and attach the USB drive to that http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

The above WDTV LIVE should work with your USB drive. I have the WD Elements USB drive attached and the WDTV LIVE can turn it on and off automatically; I'm not certain if you would have to manually turn on the Seagate.

Summary:
- networking is done via Wi-Fi or Ethernet to connect devices
- USB drive must be connected to a PC or Media device like WDTV LIVE
*I'm guessing your OPPO is connected to a receiver and stereo system? If so, it's really best to get a NETWORKED DRIVE to stream the data to your OPPO.

DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance).

*Don't buy any device like this without reading an extensive review. Also, compare it to the Western Digital devices I linked for features, reliability and PRICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS