Distinguished
May 12, 2006
My system Specs: Socket 939
3500+ AMD @2.41Ghz
Kingston HyperX gaming 2X512 MB Dual Channel DDR 3200
ECS KN1 Elite Mobo
420 Watt PSU
Current temp: Core Cpu 33C

My question is that how high is it possible to OC the CPU. And what is multiplier that people are tlalking about ?? I dont see multiplier in my mobo settings. Thanks for all your help as you can see its my first time doing this. Thanks. And can I push my memory a bit further. does that mean I will have to increase the voltage?

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
i have gotten my 3500 to 2.6 stable multi is locked so you dont need to worry bout that i havnt heard of anyone getting much higher than 2.6 2.7 im only cooling this Proc on air if you went water cooling im sure you could get better

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Hi trencin,
You Socket939 guys are limited by PC3200 memory which runs @ max spec without any CPU OC.
PC3500 is available to help you hit ~250 HT FSB and get that nice 25% OC, which would be ~2.75GHz for you!
But it just means you must OC your memory in order to OC your CPU, so it becomes more difficult - a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, right?
So relax your memory timings completely and yes, increase the memory voltage cautiously...
what is multiplier that people are tlalking about ?
Well, the CPU multiplier is 'locked' at 11x if that's what you mean - but people don't talk about it much, heheh...
Perhaps you are referring to all the Intel OCers who have various memory multipliers to work with whilst OCing their rigs. We can adjust memory speed so only the CPU is being overclocked, and memory is not a factor.
You however must OC both HT FSB and memory, together, and it will be difficult for you to determine which is the limiting factor when you eventually hit 'the wall'...
Regards

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
OK thanks. I have managed to OC to 2.43GHZ with everything else at default. So thats preyy nice when I tried to oc higher It would not let me boot to OS. So that is what u mean by "hitting the wall"? And the only way to get further is losen the timings on the ram and increase the voltage?? If so what exactly in the memory do I need to increase because it gives me quite a few things to modify in the RAM.
Thanks in advance

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I have managed to OC to 2.43GHZ...And the only way to get further is losen the timings on the ram and increase the voltage??
Not exactly. That CPU speed comes from HT FSB ~220 or 221MHz right?
So your memory must run ~DDR442, a 10% OC (same as CPU).
What I'm saying is that in theory, it could be either your CPU, your mobo or your memory unwilling to go faster - and you don't know which.
But the fact is (through my experience) yes it is probably your memory that is tapped out.
I would just keep the nice 10% OC to 2.43GHz (faster than A64 3800!) and there you go.
To increase your memory past DDR440 could be tough. 2 x 1GB would help - the 4 x 512MB becomes an even greater challenge for you.
To OC your rig further you should have 2 x 1GB PC3500 - but I can appreciate that's not going to happen, LoL...
So leave all memory timing settings on default/SPD, and increase the memory voltage. Run CPU-Z and identify the specific timings you are getting (the 'big four').
Those four most important settings could in fact be manually relaxed to very loose timings, but there is a problem - all the many sub-timings that are beyond the big four, that many motherboards will not even discuss with you, will all make further memory speed unlikely :cry:
I think good PC3200 can do ~15% OC with nothing but a voltage increase. This should provide 230 HT FSB and therefore 2.53GHz CPU (with enough voltage, both CPU and memory).
I have some Corsair PC3200 2,2,2,5 here that will OC like crazy! but your 4 sticks may not be so happy to...
Even if you do get it to run @ 230 HT FSB, you will probably want to reduce it to ~220 anyway for stability while playing Oblivion or whatever.
But you can give it a try...
With your memory, prepare to just be happy :D with a nice solid stable 2.43GHz though,
L8R

Edit - I'm confused; I thought you had 4 x 512MB sticks :oops:
Things should be better for you with only two sticks!

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
alright thanks a lot for the help it helped me greatly. I am satisified with the 22.43 Ghx speed I just wanted the "know how if there is a time that I would like to push it firther beyoud 2.5 ghz. Thanks man I appreciate the help

anthropophaginian

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
You should definately have a look around your bios to see if there's any options for memory dividers.
I can't seem to find much info about that board but have a look around anyway.
This will allow you to set you memory at lower frequency.

If you see the option, you should get a list of numbers usually, 100, 133, 166, 200 or something similar.

If you set your divider to, say 166 and overclock your CPU to 220, your memory will now be running at (220/166)*100 ... I think... which is only 160, giving you lots of room to overclock.

Check this out, it could make a huge difference.

Also grab yourself a copy of CPU-Z. Very useful program for look at your CPU and memory frequencies, and multipliers etc.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
(Download link is on the left hand side).

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
yeah I have CPU-Z and my divider is set on 200 so if I decrease it I will be able to OC further? But wont that decreas my memory speed ??
and this is the mobo I have ECS KN1

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
ok right now i have the divider set on 133 and I am clocked at 2.53 GHZ. I am wonderin what If I was to upgrade memory to 2 gigs do I have to return the timings beck to normal settings before I can do that?

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Yes, the memory-divider thing can be adjusted to reduce memory speed.
(Sorry - I jumped right over Socket939 from my Socket A :oops: )
But you are then trading CPU speed for reduced memory bandwidth...
It all depends on which is more favourable for your specific application.
You could buy 2 x 1GB PC3500 and sell your PC3200, to avoid this compromise.
But at least changing the divider (even temporarily) will allow you to remove the memory as a factor, and see what your CPU can do.
L8R

anthropophaginian

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I'd personally always go for the higher CPU speed.

Where you're done, make sure you give it a run with Stress Prime for a few hours to see if it's stable.
http://sp2004.fre3.com/

If it isn't very stable, try bumping up the voltage on the CPU (vcore) a few notches. I don't know how far it goes on that MB but don't go too far.

anthropophaginian

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Forgot to mention, keep your eye on the temperatures:
Get a program like speedfan (http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php) and try to keep your temperature (under load) below 45c or 50 at an absolute max.

anthropophaginian

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Well if you leave nothing running, you'll have the idle temperature, which is usually about 10 degrees lower than the load temp. So 36 is fine.

If you run superpi or SP (stress prime), the temperature should shoot up straight away, then stabilise at a certain temperature. A few hours of SP might bring it a few degrees higher, to give your absolute max temp.

TRENDING THREADS