Multiple Access Points

brianb18

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I'm curious to hear what you guys' experience has been with setting up a wireless network with mutliple WAPs has been. I've recently done it myself with mixed results.

I was using 3 Linksys WAP54Gs and found that there are different modes to choose from. I thought it would be easiest to set up roaming for users if I kept all the SSIDs the same, but I was having mixed results.

I have a broadband ISP modem that is hard wired to some network drops where the WAPs are plugged into. Ideally, I would like to have the ISP modem connected to a router and then my WAPS get their ip from the router. Sounds easy in theory, but it turned out being more difficult than I had thought.

I did some research on Linksys' site and depending on the "mode", you'll either have to have the SSIDs with the same name or different name. And then you may or may not have to have them all on the same channel.

It was very confusing and time intensive and I was not able to troubleshoot and test as effectively as I would have liked because I had to set this up in a company project office ASAP; not in my house where I could have taken my time.

Long story short, I gave up on the router and ended up giving the WAPs different SSID's, but a user will have to connect to a different WAP if they move to another part of the building and want a stronger signal. In a few months, I get to tackle this dilemna again when our 2 floor remodel is completed.

I was just curious to see what others had experienced and any advice would be appreciated. TIA.

Brian

brianb18

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
At first they were all on ch. 6 (default) and then I realized there were a lot of other AP's around, so I changed them since I figured most of them were probably on ch. 6 too.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If you had them all on the same channel, that may have been your problem. Channels 1 - 6 - and 11 are non-interfering. As you physically layout your WAPs in the building, you need to ensure that WEPs on the same channel are not overlapping in their coverage areas.

Sketch out the physical layout of the building and where each of the WAPs are in relation to each other. Simple example:

West end: WAP on channel 1
Next WAP east on channel 6
Next WAP east on channel 11

etc.

In reality, the layout may be considerably more complex, but the objective is to not have any same-channel WAP's overlapping in coverage.

Nearby wireless networks will also complicate this. You do not have to guess what channel they are on, though. The site monitor utility will tell you what wireless signals it picks up, what their SSID is, whether they are encrypted, and what channel they are on.