Used offline password reset tool with no success

Used offline password reset tool with no success

I got a hold of an XP box with an unknown administrator password.

I ran this tool and another similar -
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/editor.html

It boots Linux on a floppy and allows you to reset the passwords on
accounts. I tried this and did it correctly afaik but the new
password did not work. Next, I disabled syskey as there were no
important accounts to worry about and then reset the password again.

I tried both the blank password option and the word "password" but no
success.

When I run LC5 on the SAM it shows almost immediately the LM Password
to be "PASSWORD" in all caps - this does not work either. I have not
done a full brute force scan - that is running now.

I am at a loss. I researched the use of these tools with many people
saying they worked great, but not for me :(

Any idea why I cannot log in?

Thanks

John M

In article <7093bf65.0408131639.49ff7ec5@posting.google.com>, in the
microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, John Munsey Jr
<john@munsey.net> says...

> I got a hold of an XP box with an unknown administrator password.

From where? Why not just wipe the drive and reinstall?

--
Paul Adare
rights.

I got it from the Los Alamos National Library and want to access
classified material(not). Geez, I don't why such an explanation is
necessary. The box is not mine and getting the password reset will
save a lot of time and money, and that is why not.

Excuse me if I misunderstood your tone. Perhaps you genuinely were
making a suggestion, as obvious as your idea may be to most people.

-John M

Paul Adare - MVP - Microsoft Virtual PC <padare@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b872c4379adbc859899ea@msnews.microsoft.com>...
> In article <7093bf65.0408131639.49ff7ec5@posting.google.com>, in the
> microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, John Munsey Jr
> <john@munsey.net> says...
>
> > I got a hold of an XP box with an unknown administrator password.
> >

> From where? Why not just wipe the drive and reinstall?

I've never had problems with that utility, but have never run it on XP.
Isn't there a newsgroup for XP here?

I believe XP may handle the administrator account and password differently
if other accounts have been added to the computer. Are there any other
accounts for which you can reset the passwords?

Also, in previous versions of Windows, renaming the file named SAM while
booted to an alternate OS and then booting into Windows resets the
administrator password to nothing. Believe that also works in XP.

"John Munsey Jr" <john@munsey.net> wrote in message
> Used offline password reset tool with no success
>
> I got a hold of an XP box with an unknown administrator password.
>
> I ran this tool and another similar -
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/editor.html
>
> It boots Linux on a floppy and allows you to reset the passwords on
> accounts. I tried this and did it correctly afaik but the new
> password did not work. Next, I disabled syskey as there were no
> important accounts to worry about and then reset the password again.
>
> I tried both the blank password option and the word "password" but no
> success.
>
> When I run LC5 on the SAM it shows almost immediately the LM Password
> to be "PASSWORD" in all caps - this does not work either. I have not
> done a full brute force scan - that is running now.
>
> I am at a loss. I researched the use of these tools with many people
> saying they worked great, but not for me :(
>
> Any idea why I cannot log in?
>
> Thanks
>
> John M

I have used the password reset disk successfully on XP, though it may have been pre
Service Pack 1 version. I will have to try SP2 soon. My experience is that renaming
the sam does not work in XP. I get an error before logging on that corruption of sam
has been detected and to try safe mode which does not work either. --- Steve

"Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@despammed.com> wrote in message
> I've never had problems with that utility, but have never run it on XP.
> Isn't there a newsgroup for XP here?
>
> I believe XP may handle the administrator account and password differently
> if other accounts have been added to the computer. Are there any other
> accounts for which you can reset the passwords?
>
> Also, in previous versions of Windows, renaming the file named SAM while
> booted to an alternate OS and then booting into Windows resets the
> administrator password to nothing. Believe that also works in XP.
>

> "John Munsey Jr" <john@munsey.net> wrote in message
> > Used offline password reset tool with no success
> >
> > I got a hold of an XP box with an unknown administrator password.
> >
> > I ran this tool and another similar -
> > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/editor.html
> >
> > It boots Linux on a floppy and allows you to reset the passwords on
> > accounts. I tried this and did it correctly afaik but the new
> > password did not work. Next, I disabled syskey as there were no
> > important accounts to worry about and then reset the password again.
> >
> > I tried both the blank password option and the word "password" but no
> > success.
> >
> > When I run LC5 on the SAM it shows almost immediately the LM Password
> > to be "PASSWORD" in all caps - this does not work either. I have not
> > done a full brute force scan - that is running now.
> >
> > I am at a loss. I researched the use of these tools with many people
> > saying they worked great, but not for me :(
> >
> > Any idea why I cannot log in?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > John M

I think it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion that you reinstall from
scratch, and it's what I'd do myself if I had a computer with unknown
whatsits on it.

Although I do like your snippy response, I admit. ;-)