How do you tell a Henchman to retreat?

Last response: in Video Games
July 27, 2005 9:38:25 PM

I don't see a retreat option on the radial menu. I want to stay and
fight. I want the Henchman to run. Is there a way to do this?

More about : henchman retreat

July 27, 2005 9:38:26 PM

Mike S. wrote:
> I don't see a retreat option on the radial menu. I want to stay and
> fight. I want the Henchman to run. Is there a way to do this?

NOPE...

You can tell him to stand his ground but if an enemy gets close enough
he'll defend himself.

Other than that???

Good question.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 10:27:49 AM

Mike S. wrote:
> I don't see a retreat option on the radial menu. I want to stay and
> fight. I want the Henchman to run. Is there a way to do this?

No, unfortunately. The closest to come to that is to get the henchman
to wait for you and never approach the encounter at all.
July 28, 2005 10:27:50 AM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:27:49 GMT, Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote:

>No, unfortunately. The closest to come to that is to get the henchman
>to wait for you and never approach the encounter at all.

Ok thanks Kish and Werewolf. There really needs to be an option for
this in NWN 2. It is really frustrating that you know that your mighty
paladin can stand up to the punishment while your leather bound rogue
is just going to get her little dwarven ass kicked in all kinds of
ways.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 1:30:51 AM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:37:53 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>Even then, they'll still spaz out and run into melee range to use their
>ranged weapon sometimes, but it's a lot less than when they have access
>to melee weapons.

I thought about doing this but Dorna will lose her sneak attacks when
the enemy *is* pounding on me won't she? Those sneak attacks really do
a lot of damage. But if I get annoyed with her too much, I will
probably take your advice with the ranged attacks. Deekin, however,
will have to wait. I want to take each Henchman through the game once
at least. So I am stuck with Dorna.

>Now what REALLY needs to be fixed in NWN2 is thief types detecting traps
>on the other side of a wall.
>The number of times Dorna has detected a trap on the other side of a
>wall going into the kobald caves and SPRINTED off to disarm it, running
>straight through 2-3 other traps ...

It isn't that I don't believe you, but I have never seen this myself.
In fact, the only problem I have in this regard is she can take up to
10 seconds before she realized there is a trap to disarm! I *hate*
that. :-P
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:10:20 AM

Mike S. wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:27:49 GMT, Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote:
>

>>No, unfortunately. The closest to come to that is to get the henchman
>>to wait for you and never approach the encounter at all.
>

> Ok thanks Kish and Werewolf. There really needs to be an option for
> this in NWN 2. It is really frustrating that you know that your mighty
> paladin can stand up to the punishment while your leather bound rogue
> is just going to get her little dwarven ass kicked in all kinds of
> ways.

Another use of this would be if you want your henchman to wait outside
while you sneak into a house. That'd be cool.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:35:13 AM

Mike S wrote:
> I don't see a retreat option on the radial menu. I want to stay and
> fight. I want the Henchman to run. Is there a way to do this?

If you are in a situation where you & your henchman can move faster than
your enemies, you can do the following:

1) issue a follow command
2) run a sufficient distance away
3) issue a stand your ground command
4) run back to the fight

Obviously, it won't work in all cases, but I have put it to use several
times with good effect.

- W. Citoan
--
An enemy speaketh sweetly with his lips, but in his heart he imagineth how
to throw thee into a pit: he will weep with his eyes, but if he find

Mike S. wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:37:53 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Even then, they'll still spaz out and run into melee range to use their
>>ranged weapon sometimes, but it's a lot less than when they have access
>>to melee weapons.
>
> I thought about doing this but Dorna will lose her sneak attacks when
> the enemy *is* pounding on me won't she?

If the enemy is pounding on you, that's when Dorna will get SA bonuses.
Sneach Attack bonuses occur whenever a rogue (or assassin or blackguard)
attacks an enemy who is not currently targeting the rogue. So, for SA
purposes, you're more likely to get them if Dorna hangs back and uses a bow.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 04:58:15 -0400, Barry Scott Will
<nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote:

>If the enemy is pounding on you, that's when Dorna will get SA bonuses.
>Sneach Attack bonuses occur whenever a rogue (or assassin or blackguard)
>attacks an enemy who is not currently targeting the rogue. So, for SA
>purposes, you're more likely to get them if Dorna hangs back and uses a bow.

Ok I thought sneak attacks only worked in melee. I may just take
Xocyll's advice after all then.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:27:05 AM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:35:13 -0000, "W. Citoan"
<wcitoan@NOSPAM-yahoo.com> wrote:

> 1) issue a follow command
> 2) run a sufficient distance away
> 3) issue a stand your ground command
> 4) run back to the fight

The few times I tried this it did not work because the enemy always
moved as fast as we did as you mention. I think this tactic would work
great if I can find two boots of haste though. :)
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 5:39:36 PM

Mike S. wrote:
> Ok I thought sneak attacks only worked in melee.

Works with missile weapons at close range (in PnP DnD, it's 30' and
requires surprise, in NWN, it's "close' and at random)
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 11:29:19 PM

"Mike S." <mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:27:49 GMT, Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>>No, unfortunately. The closest to come to that is to get the henchman
>>to wait for you and never approach the encounter at all.
>
> Ok thanks Kish and Werewolf. There really needs to be an option for
> this in NWN 2. It is really frustrating that you know that your mighty
> paladin can stand up to the punishment while your leather bound rogue
> is just going to get her little dwarven ass kicked in all kinds of
> ways.

perhaps marking [by right clicking] a retreat-to point.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:19:28 AM

Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:37:53 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Even then, they'll still spaz out and run into melee range to use their
>>ranged weapon sometimes, but it's a lot less than when they have access
>>to melee weapons.
>
>I thought about doing this but Dorna will lose her sneak attacks when
>the enemy *is* pounding on me won't she? Those sneak attacks really do
>a lot of damage. But if I get annoyed with her too much, I will
>probably take your advice with the ranged attacks. Deekin, however,
>will have to wait. I want to take each Henchman through the game once
>at least. So I am stuck with Dorna.
>
>>Now what REALLY needs to be fixed in NWN2 is thief types detecting traps
>>on the other side of a wall.
>>The number of times Dorna has detected a trap on the other side of a
>>wall going into the kobald caves and SPRINTED off to disarm it, running
>>straight through 2-3 other traps ...
>
>It isn't that I don't believe you, but I have never seen this myself.
>In fact, the only problem I have in this regard is she can take up to
>10 seconds before she realized there is a trap to disarm! I *hate*
>that. :-P

You must be blessed, since i've seen that dozens of times.

The worst bit is in caves that have big sweeping curves that double
back, so you can walk 200 feet and end up only 5 feet from where you
started, just on the other side of a wall.
The number of times their detection radius (or mine for that matter)
detects a trap or trapped chest at that 5~200 foot mark is absurd, since
there's no way a thief could detect it - bioware just took the easy way
out and made it a radius calculation that didn't take into account
intervening walls.

One of the easiest places to see this is in the prison in the OC, where
you (if you have the skill) or Tomi will detect traps in rooms you
haven't entered yet.
It can be a real pain if you're on the level with the sorcerer and
opening the cell doors one by one, and Tomi suddenly decides that
picking that lock you ordered him to pick is nowhere near as important
as detrapping that chest he just realized was on the other side of the
wall in a locked room full of baddies.

I had the "hold position" command on my main quick bar because I
_needed_ to use it so damn much.

Pity there was no command that told the henchman "stay with me and don't
ever run off to do anything unless I tell you to."

Xocyll
July 30, 2005 8:35:03 AM

"Mike S." <mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:D l1je1lnh1i1t4s3maku0sa97pkh6m1rj3@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:37:53 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Even then, they'll still spaz out and run into melee range to use their
>>ranged weapon sometimes, but it's a lot less than when they have access
>>to melee weapons.
>
> I thought about doing this but Dorna will lose her sneak attacks when
> the enemy *is* pounding on me won't she? Those sneak attacks really do
> a lot of damage. But if I get annoyed with her too much, I will
> probably take your advice with the ranged attacks. Deekin, however,
> will have to wait. I want to take each Henchman through the game once
> at least. So I am stuck with Dorna.
>
>>Now what REALLY needs to be fixed in NWN2 is thief types detecting traps
>>on the other side of a wall.
>>The number of times Dorna has detected a trap on the other side of a
>>wall going into the kobald caves and SPRINTED off to disarm it, running
>>straight through 2-3 other traps ...
>
> It isn't that I don't believe you, but I have never seen this myself.
> In fact, the only problem I have in this regard is she can take up to
> 10 seconds before she realized there is a trap to disarm! I *hate*
> that. :-P

I've had her do both things. If I saw her running off I would pause the
game and tell her to stand her ground. Other times I have had to tell her
to check for traps, which does not always work. Then I use stealth/sneak
mode to make her slow down and I have extra time to stop her from triggering
traps while she is the way to disarm others.

At other times she has rushed off the check a trap and there are baddies in
the immediate area commencing their attack - I pause the game and select
Attack Nearest.

Annoying at times.

Dave
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 8:50:06 AM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 03:19:28 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>You must be blessed,

I'm a paladin. ;)
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:04:41 PM

> Pity there was no command that told the henchman "stay with me and don't
> ever run off to do anything unless I tell you to."

There is. Tony K's Henchman and Battle AI. I can't believe that there are
still people who play without that.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:38:00 PM

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that - it makes your henchmen use the most
effective weapons at any given time and you can get them to scout ahead too
and other stuff. Right - I'm off to ferret that out again - I'd not put it
back after a recent reinstall.

Thanks for the reminder,
Best
maxon

"Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote in message
news:D cftt9$431$00$1@news.t-online.com...
> > Pity there was no command that told the henchman "stay with me and don't
> > ever run off to do anything unless I tell you to."
>
> There is. Tony K's Henchman and Battle AI. I can't believe that there are
> still people who play without that.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:56:52 PM

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>The only way I could ever get them to retreat was to run back to a -
>whaddaya call 'em - a zone through?

Well I always referred to it as transitioning a zone boundary.

>You know, where you go through a door
>or portal into a new area. Your henchmen get dragged through with you.
>Either that or hoist 'em back to town with the stone of recall or its local
>variant.

I used this extensively in SoU especially, loading the minion up with
all the heavy loot so they could barely move at all, then relying on the
zone transition to bring them up to me.

>The 'give 'em a bow only' idea sounds like a good one only I like
>playing characters where *I* stay out of the hand-to-hand action and throw
>things (spells, arrows, you know) and *they* get frisky with the sharp and
>pointies. Oh yes, and that problem with the detect traps thing drove me
>bonkers: 'Look you moron, do you think we could deal with the frothing ogre
>in here first and with that trap in the next room afterwards?' I've finally
>resorted to taking some levels in remove traps and open locks for my own
>character rather than take a thief with me.

You can get away without them, but you have to have _instant_ access to
"hold your position" and "attack nearest" to get them to not run off
after an object they can interact with.

Once you understand that they are _NOT_ reliable or sensible and cannot
be trusted to follow orders if they detect something, it gets a lot
easier since you KNOW you're 90% certain to have to tell them to attack
again during any particular fight.

What I would REALLY like is a configurable AI, similar to Baldur's Gate,
where I could give a hierarchical set of orders for henchman to follow,
including what kind of weapon to use.

IE
Stand your ground using a bow until the critter reaches melee, then swap
to sword/mace/whatever. (Perhaps with conditionals for different kinds
of critters - maces for skeletons, swords for fleshy, etc.)

If critter runs away, swap back to bow and continue standing your
ground.
When all critters in current room are dead, defuse traps.
When all traps are defused (that can be), unlock all locked AND
untrapped containers.

Add in a few conditionals for following critters that run away;
IE while checking for traps (between you and critter) and defusing any
found, follow critter.

This sort of thing would of course require a REAL find traps skill
that's directional and didn't go through walls, not the radius effect
Bioware cheaped out on for for NWN1 that lets you detect traps in places
you don't even know exist.

Xocyll
August 1, 2005 8:09:56 PM

"Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> looked up from reading
the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
signs say:

>> Pity there was no command that told the henchman "stay with me and don't
>> ever run off to do anything unless I tell you to."
>
>There is. Tony K's Henchman and Battle AI. I can't believe that there are
>still people who play without that.

All depends on whether you've heard of it or not, if it's compatible
with the module you want to play and version you're at (since some patch
levels introduce evil bugs for some people's configurations.)

Xocyll