Local policy - Deny access from network

Hi to all :)

I'll hope this is th right newsgroup.

This is my scenario:
- LAN with 2 W2000 Server (non in a domain), ServerA and ServerB
- both W2000 Servers has same password
- ServerA server access the ServerB using a unc connection (without any
mapping disk)

Now, I want to to setting "deny access from network" (from local policy) to
Administrator; if I do this ... obviously... ServerA can't access ServerB.
I created a specifi user, on both server, that I want to use for unc
connection.

And now is there any way to make an unc connection specifing username and
password without the use of mapped disk?

Thanks

On all non-administrative shares, you can click the
Permissions button in the Sharing tab that you find
in the properties at the root of what is being shared.
In these Permissions you can name exactly what
accounts should be allowed remote access to the
share, and what degree of access.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
"luca" <luca.l@lunet.it> wrote in message
> Hi to all :)
>
> I'll hope this is th right newsgroup.
>
> This is my scenario:
> - LAN with 2 W2000 Server (non in a domain), ServerA and ServerB
> - both W2000 Servers has same password
> - ServerA server access the ServerB using a unc connection (without any
> mapping disk)
>
> Now, I want to to setting "deny access from network" (from local policy)
> Administrator; if I do this ... obviously... ServerA can't access ServerB.
> I created a specifi user, on both server, that I want to use for unc
> connection.
>
> And now is there any way to make an unc connection specifing username and
> password without the use of mapped disk?
>
> Thanks

Roger's solution makes perfect sense but FYI you can make connections to a share with
the net command as in [ net use * \\servername\share /u:username ]. You can find
further information on the net use command by using [ net help use ]. --- Steve

"luca" <luca.l@lunet.it> wrote in message
> Hi to all :)
>
> I'll hope this is th right newsgroup.
>
> This is my scenario:
> - LAN with 2 W2000 Server (non in a domain), ServerA and ServerB
> - both W2000 Servers has same password
> - ServerA server access the ServerB using a unc connection (without any
> mapping disk)
>
> Now, I want to to setting "deny access from network" (from local policy) to
> Administrator; if I do this ... obviously... ServerA can't access ServerB.
> I created a specifi user, on both server, that I want to use for unc
> connection.
>
> And now is there any way to make an unc connection specifing username and
> password without the use of mapped disk?
>
> Thanks

Thankyou Roger and thankyou Steve.

I tried with your's suggestions, but ... using net command map a virtual
disk, I prefer that users don't see anything; is this possible?

:)

"Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:vl5Uc.20376$mD.3882@attbi_s02...
> Roger's solution makes perfect sense but FYI you can make connections to a
share with
> the net command as in [ net use * \\servername\share /u:username ]. You
can find
> further information on the net use command by using [ net help use ]. ---
Steve

> "luca" <luca.l@lunet.it> wrote in message
> > Hi to all :)
> >
> > I'll hope this is th right newsgroup.
> >
> > This is my scenario:
> > - LAN with 2 W2000 Server (non in a domain), ServerA and ServerB
> > - both W2000 Servers has same password
> > - ServerA server access the ServerB using a unc connection (without any
> > mapping disk)
> >
> > Now, I want to to setting "deny access from network" (from local policy)
> > Administrator; if I do this ... obviously... ServerA can't access
ServerB.
> > I created a specifi user, on both server, that I want to use for unc
> > connection.
> >
> > And now is there any way to make an unc connection specifing username
and
> > password without the use of mapped disk?
> >
> > Thanks

If you do not want a mapped drive, then follow Roger's advice and modify share
permissions to give proper users access to a share. Of course they will still be able
to see network shares in My Network Places. In Windows you can not selectively hide
shares from users in My Network Places, just deny access. A share can be hidden from
My Network Places by placing a $ after the share name, and users who know the share
exists can still access it if they have permissions. The default administrator shares
for instance are hidden from My Network Places but an administrator can access them
by using unc as in \\servername\c$. --- Steve