Logging on a specific File.

Can I set up a log for just one file? I want to know who
opens it, when it is done, and for how long. Can this be
done. I am using windows 2000 server.

You can enable auditing of object access in Local Security Policy [secpol.msc]
and then audit files and folders. The events that show in the security log are
not exactly user friendly but the info should be there. Examine Event ID's 560
and 562 as pairs by timestamps. Audit only permissions needed to keep the number
of events down which will still be very substantial. The links below give more
detail. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301640
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/secmod144.mspx

"James Mckillop" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can I set up a log for just one file? I want to know who
> opens it, when it is done, and for how long. Can this be
> done. I am using windows 2000 server.

Thanks for the info. It helped to point me in the right
direction.